John McGee/PrestonFiedler - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrestonFiedler View Post
    Thanks Dana. Overall brightness too low, or is it more of the shadows need a little lift? And the level on the 4th was throwing me all kinds of trouble but I see it needs CW looking at it again.
    More the shadows are pretty strong than anything else.

Comment

Hi Dana, thanks for the additional detail. Made some adjustments, what do you all think? I've also included a new one.

Comment

Hi Dana, thanks for the additional detail. Made some adjustments, what do you all think? I've also included a new one.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]17805[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]17806[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]17807[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]17808[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]17809[/ATTACH]
        1. soft
        2-3 ok
        4. soft
        5. soft, contrast

Comment

Ok thanks. 1 and 4 are exactly the same except a slight shadow boost as before...I guess they were soft then? Just a little confused how all I changed was shadows and now they're soft. Easy fix, but just want to make sure I'm fixing the right thing.

Comment

Ok thanks. 1 and 4 are exactly the same except a slight shadow boost as before...I guess they were soft then? Just a little confused how all I changed was shadows and now they're soft. Easy fix, but just want to make sure I'm fixing the right thing.
            Yes, lowering contrast does tend to make images look a bit softer since the transition between hard lines becomes a little less apparent.

Comment

Okay, that’s what I had figured. I’ll apply another round of sharpening and check back technically later today. Thanks!

Comment

For clarification, the contrast on the Korean was flat (too little) or harsh (too much)? Don't want to waste time with an incorrect re-edit.

Comment

For clarification, the contrast on the Korean was flat (too little) or harsh (too much)?
                  The former.

Comment

Thanks Dana. Here are some re-edits for you all.

Comment

Thanks Dana. Here are some re-edits for you all.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]17837[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]17838[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]17839[/ATTACH]
                      First two should be ok. Third still looks borderline though not exactly sure if it's still the contrast, or maybe the WB is a little off. The blue on the Korean doesn't look quite right.

Comment

Thanks Dana, it looks a little yellow to me upon looking at it again. Here's a little less yellow one; maybe this is better.

Comment

Thanks Dana, it looks a little yellow to me upon looking at it again. Here's a little less yellow one; maybe this is better.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17840[/ATTACH]
                          Might be acceptable now.

Comment

Thanks again, Dana. I bumped up the contrast just a slight bit more, I think I'll upload it now. Here's a few more for you all. Thank you!

Comment

Thanks again, Dana. I bumped up the contrast just a slight bit more, I think I'll upload it now. Here's a few more for you all. Thank you!
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17859[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17860[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17861[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17862[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17863[/ATTACH]
                              I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you were unaware that we strictly forbid any images with cloning/manipulation. That ranges from removing parts of fences or other foreground clutter, to filling in parts of the frame after rotating the image. You've either filled in or removed something from the bottom right corner of the Saudia. If that were to make it to screening, you would only be issued a warning, but if you were caught again with such editing you could potentially lose some (or all) of your upload slots.

If it was just a border you were filling in, instead try a tighter crop or wider aspect ratio (we allow up to 16:9) to simply remove the border. I hope we won't see any more images with that type of editing in the future.

Comment

Shoot, yes, I gave the wrong version of the Saudia, that image was for a private sale. I am aware of the rule, and I will send the other edit here tomorrow once I'm clear of the 5 images/24 hour rule. Sorry about that. How are the others looking?

Comment

Working...
                                X