Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatdjarvis - Editing Advice

Hi,

The attached photo was rejected for poor quality. My guess would be I lost a lot of quality due to not having a good enough zoom on my lens. Shot at 250mm zoom.

Is that namely the reason? Anything stand out or other tips to improve?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frontier N324FR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	1045679

Thanks for taking the time,
    Jarvis

Originally posted by whatdjarvis View Post
    Hi,

The attached photo was rejected for poor quality. My guess would be I lost a lot of quality due to not having a good enough zoom on my lens. Shot at 250mm zoom.

Is that namely the reason? Anything stand out or other tips to improve?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17165[/ATTACH]

Thanks for taking the time,
    Jarvis
    Image is backlit and quite soft, almost blurry. First thing to do would get better lighting, then you can work on lens issues like the softness. Also check out how the settings are related to each other ISO400 and 1/3200 not really necessary on a sunny day.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! I will try playing around with those settings and see what I can get!

Comment

Biggest issue is backlighting, and as stated the extreme softness. Zoom with your feet where possible, instead of your lens. For a bright sunny day, I recommend ISO100-200, f/7.1-f/11, and 1/160-1/1000, depending on time of day, conditions, subject (prop blur etc). But that'll give you a good place to start. And keep the sun behind you, lower in the sky is better so the light isn't so harsh.

Comment

Thanks will try this out!

Comment

Rejected Photo - Undersharpened, how to improve?

I recently had a couple photos rejected for undersharpened and soft. Looking for ideas on how to improve this. I think it is too soft to sharpen in post with our looking over processed. But I may be wrong.

Also, I am shooting this at 200mm when the plane is on approach over me. Due to that I am having to crop it and maybe am losing quality there? Would more zoom be required? Maybe higher shutter speed to sharpen it up? All tips are appreciated!

Here is the photo in question https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6715608

Thank you so much for taking a look!
            Jarvis

Comment

Hi there. I'm not a screener but I can try and help out. The photo is unfortunately very much undersharpened. It also seems to suffer from quite a bit of noise as well. The distance you're shooting from plays a big part in how sharp the photo comes out and how much sharpening you can do in post processing without losing quality. If the aircraft was quite far when you took the photo then you would have to wait for it to get closer so you don't have to do a lot of cropping. Too much cropping (which would occur if the aircraft is far from you) unfortunately will result in a significant loss of quality due to loss of detail. If you can perhaps find another spot where you can get closer shots that would help.

Hopefully a screener can help further with advice.

Comment

Yeah, that looks like a large crop issue, poor overall quality, noisy, soft, and borderline blurry. I think it would be best to shelve this one, and as above, shoot when the aircraft is closer to you. Zoom with your feet, not your lens.

Comment

I recently had a couple photos rejected for undersharpened and soft. Looking for ideas on how to improve this. I think it is too soft to sharpen in post with our looking over processed. But I may be wrong.

Also, I am shooting this at 200mm when the plane is on approach over me. Due to that I am having to crop it and maybe am losing quality there? Would more zoom be required? Maybe higher shutter speed to sharpen it up? All tips are appreciated!

Here is the photo in question https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6715608

Jarvis
                  Hi, I would reject for - soft, noise, contrast.

Regards T

Comment

Jarvis
                    Ok, lots of questions there, lets try and unpick them.

How have you got your camera set up?
                    What camera / lens combo?
                    Settings? f8-11 iso 100 up to 800 subject your camera make/model
                    What shutter speed with the 200mm lens ?

We could go on and on , let me know answers to the above and we can take it from there. Happy to help. Regards T

Comment

Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
                      Ok, lots of questions there, lets try and unpick them.

How have you got your camera set up?
                      What camera / lens combo?
                      Settings? f8-11 iso 100 up to 800 subject your camera make/model
                      What shutter speed with the 200mm lens ?

We could go on and on , let me know answers to the above and we can take it from there. Happy to help. Regards T
                      Canon 40D with 55-250mm lens.

f/7.1 iso 125 shot at 250mm actually. Shutter speed: 1/800

Thanks again!

Comment

Not intended to be inflammatory, but with that equipment, you won't be able to have a super heavy crop. I don't think settings are the problem, I think the issue is that it was too large of a crop. Really most any lens will do as long as you understand the limitations, which it seems like you do. Lenses like that will need to be stopped down a bit to stay sharp, and you won't be able to crop very heavily. Noise and overall poor quality either indicate you cropped too much or something is amiss in editing.

Comment

Canon 40D with 55-250mm lens.

f/7.1 iso 125 shot at 250mm actually. Shutter speed: 1/800

Thanks again!
                          Hi Nathan, btw welcome to Jetphotos.

I've had a look at your other 2 rejected images. One of those is very soft, maybe not fully focused.

i would suggest you work on your aviation photography technique in the first instance and try to position yourself so you are not having to 'crop' much. Ensure that you are within a workable distance between you and the subject i.e. no heat distortion and the sun/light is ideally behind you. Your 40D Canon has 9 focus points try and work with the centre one and ensure the drive mode is continuous and autofocus mode is AI servo. lock the target and move with it taking a couple of shots. The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is decent but not great.

Try to make sure you have done all you can to capture the image correctly in the first instance.

take a few shots, follow the editing/upload guidance and post back here, many will help you.

Regards T

Comment

Originally posted by 777MAN View Post
                            Hi Nathan, btw welcome to Jetphotos.

I've had a look at your other 2 rejected images. One of those is very soft, maybe not fully focused.

i would suggest you work on your aviation photography technique in the first instance and try to position yourself so you are not having to 'crop' much. Ensure that you are within a workable distance between you and the subject i.e. no heat distortion and the sun/light is ideally behind you. Your 40D Canon has 9 focus points try and work with the centre one and ensure the drive mode is continuous and autofocus mode is AI servo. lock the target and move with it taking a couple of shots. The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is decent but not great.

Try to make sure you have done all you can to capture the image correctly in the first instance.

take a few shots, follow the editing/upload guidance and post back here, many will help you.

Regards T
                            Thanks for the help! I will try to find some better locations where I can zoom with my feet and see what that produces.

Comment

Whatdjarvis - Editing Advice

Hi!

Looking for some prescreening/tips on these two shots from this morning. It was a bit overcast/fog so worried about the contrast. (too white/grey of a background)

Click image for larger version

Name:	American Airlines N806NN.jpg
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	1029664Click image for larger version

Name:	United Express N959SW.jpg
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	1029665

Thanks so much in advance,
                              -Jarvis

Comment