Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whatdjarvis View Post
    Hi!

Looking for some prescreening/tips on these two shots from this morning. It was a bit overcast/fog so worried about the contrast. (too white/grey of a background)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17820[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17821[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much in advance,
    -Jarvis
    Indeed, the contrast is terrible and they would be rejected for that, as well as for being soft, dirty, noisy, and poorly centered (1st).

Comment

Indeed, the contrast is terrible and they would be rejected for that, as well as for being soft, dirty, noisy, and poorly centered (1st).
      Thanks! What do you mean by dirty and noisy? Is that due to too high of ISO? or not enough noise reduction? Maybe too dark overall? These were shot at ISO 125.

Forecast is for sunny skies tomorrow morning so hopefully will have some time to try out some improvements and have better contrast!

Thanks for taking the time!

Comment

Dirty means there are dust spots from the sensor. Equalizing in your editing software will enable you to see them more clearly. Noisy is too much grain. Possibly due to heavy crop, heavy exposure adjustment, or a wide variety of reasons. ISO 125 shouldn't cause a ton of noise straight out of the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by PrestonFiedler View Post
          Dirty means there are dust spots from the sensor. Equalizing in your editing software will enable you to see them more clearly. Noisy is too much grain. Possibly due to heavy crop, heavy exposure adjustment, or a wide variety of reasons. ISO 125 shouldn't cause a ton of noise straight out of the camera.
          Dirty may be due to all the fog and clouds. Wasn't a heavy crop so may have come from exposure due to it being a bit dark with the overcast. I will try again in the morning when the forecast is sunny! Hopefully will get better results.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Dirty may be due to all the fog and clouds.
            No, dirty means dust spots on your sensor. Both images have them.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
              No, dirty means dust spots on your sensor. Both images have them.
              Oh! I did not even notice Where are you seeing the spots if you don't mind? Is it possible to clone them out? Maybe due to the poor contrast I could not spot them.

Thanks again for your continued help everyone!

Comment

Oh! I did not even notice Where are you seeing the spots if you don't mind? Is it possible to clone them out? Maybe due to the poor contrast I could not spot them.

Thanks again for your continued help everyone!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	American Airlines N806NN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	1029683Click image for larger version

Name:	United Express N959SW.jpg
Size:	571.0 KB
ID:	1029684

You will be unable to remove the first one since it is actually on the aircraft, but the quality is so poor it's unlikely the image would have ever been accepted anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I see what you are talking about now. Yeah I'm giving up on these due to the poor contrast with the sky conditions but this will help me for my next set.

I'll try to get the next ones more sharp and with less noise as well. Plenty to learn!

Comment

Hello again!

Can a screener take a look at the following below? I hopefully improved from my last batch!

Thank you so much,
                    Jarvis

Name:	United Express N88330.jpg
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	1029841Click image for larger version

Name:	United Express N916SW.jpg
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	1029842Click image for larger version

Name:	Frontier N236FR.jpg
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	1029843Click image for larger version

Name:	American Airlines N826NN.jpg
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	1029844

Comment

Hello again!

Can a screener take a look at the following below? I hopefully improved from my last batch!

Thank you so much,
                      Jarvis

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18022[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18023[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18025[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18026[/ATTACH]
                      These would all be rejected for soft & contrast, and some for vignetting, noise, and centering as well.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! Do you think the soft/contrast could be fixed in post?

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! Do you think the soft/contrast could be fixed in post?
                          Possibly, but these are not borderline, so a large improvement will be needed.

Comment

Possibly, but these are not borderline, so a large improvement will be needed.
                            Hmmm ok. I took a stab at improving the first one.

This was shot at 1/640, f6.3 so maybe I'm gaining some softness by not having fast enough shutter speed. If they are fairly far off then most likely something has to change in my camera/lens settings or technique.

This one was cropped down a bit so that could explain it.

Name:	United Express N880AS.jpg
Size:	588.7 KB
ID:	1029850

Comment

Hmmm ok. I took a stab at improving the first one.

This was shot at 1/640, f6.3 so maybe I'm gaining some softness by not having fast enough shutter speed. If they are fairly far off then most likely something has to change in my camera/lens settings or technique.

This one was cropped down a bit so that could explain it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18032[/ATTACH]
                              Still a little soft, but definitely better. Vignetting and noise remain an issue.

Comment

Still a little soft, but definitely better. Vignetting and noise remain an issue.
                                Took one more crack at it. Added more sharpening and noise reduction and also tried to address the vignetting.

Thanks again for being so helpful! May just need to start from scratch again.

Name:	United Express N880AS (2).jpg
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	1029851

Comment

Working...
                                X