Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pre-screen photos at dawn

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    what an incredible complicated workflow :

    Here's mine on an approach shot like this one :
    - Open the pic on LR
    - crop if needed
    - adjust horizon if needed
    - apply some sharpening and noise reduction
    - add a tad of saturation if needed
    - correct the exposure if needed
    - Export to PS
    - Get rid of the dust spot if needed
    - sharpen
    resize by step (5000 to 3000 to 1920) and final sharpening

    Done - if you spend more than 3min on an approach shot like this one, imho that's too much

    And yeah, like Gerardo said, auto anything is something to avoid - I would never touch the tones btw as they do create haloes + very unnatural colours

    cheers
    Alex

    Leave a comment:


  • LX-A343
    replied
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    Thx dlowwa

    I see, I then request your advise on my workflow, which is

    1) select only photos 100% sharp out of the camera
    2) apply tons, curves, lights... using auto mode
    3) correct manually ..shadows, highs, blacks, color temperature,
    4) apply DIX def, pre-sharp
    5) crop, resize, export to jpeg
    6) open jpeg,
    7) apply high pass filter (0.5-1)
    8 ) photo is sharp and ok now.... but due to some jagged lines
    9) apply Blur Filter (0.3-0.5) 25-50 opacity
    10) photo should be ok now.... but it's soft
    11) apply a second HighPass (0.3)
    12) finish... but probably some blacks lines and letters, now do look overprocessed

    I notice that haze and clarity options does introduce some halos
    I notice that tons curves also create some halos efects.

    Can you then suggest/recommend some changes in my worflow ?

    here's a nedition, without haze, clarity, nix def, pre-sharp ...
    Just auto tons, color and an HighPass filter after resizing.

    Does it look better? are the halos gone ? ( I'm talking about halos...but I hardly can see then...I hope...I have identify the problem )

    thx again for your time and help
    /rgds
    That is a lot of post processing in my opinion. BTW: The auto mode in 2) is also known to create halos.

    Leave a comment:


  • dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    Thx dlowwa

    I see, I then request your advise on my workflow, which is

    1) select only photos 100% sharp out of the camera
    2) apply tons, curves, lights... using auto mode
    3) correct manually ..shadows, highs, blacks, color temperature,
    4) apply DIX def, pre-sharp
    5) crop, resize, export to jpeg
    6) open jpeg,
    7) apply high pass filter (0.5-1)
    8 ) photo is sharp and ok now.... but due to some jagged lines
    9) apply Blur Filter (0.3-0.5) 25-50 opacity
    10) photo should be ok now.... but it's soft
    11) apply a second HighPass (0.3)
    12) finish... but probably some blacks lines and letters, now do look overprocessed

    I notice that haze and clarity options does introduce some halos
    I notice that tons curves also create some halos efects.

    Can you then suggest/recommend some changes in my worflow ?

    here's a nedition, without haze, clarity, nix def, pre-sharp ...
    Just auto tons, color and an HighPass filter after resizing.

    Does it look better? are the halos gone ? ( I'm talking about halos...but I hardly can see then...I hope...I have identify the problem )

    thx again for your time and help
    /rgds
    Looks acceptable to me. Clarity is a known cause of halos, as is D-lighting mode in Nikon cameras. Any adjustment to boost shadows or reduce highlights can often cause halos.

    Leave a comment:


  • a.m.
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    All borderline for contrast/overprocessed. Last one also soft. Like the other thread I just replied to, whatever it is you're doing in editing to boost the shadows is washing out the dark areas and leaving faint editing halos.
    Thx dlowwa

    I see, I then request your advise on my workflow, which is

    1) select only photos 100% sharp out of the camera
    2) apply tons, curves, lights... using auto mode
    3) correct manually ..shadows, highs, blacks, color temperature,
    4) apply DIX def, pre-sharp
    5) crop, resize, export to jpeg
    6) open jpeg,
    7) apply high pass filter (0.5-1)
    8 ) photo is sharp and ok now.... but due to some jagged lines
    9) apply Blur Filter (0.3-0.5) 25-50 opacity
    10) photo should be ok now.... but it's soft
    11) apply a second HighPass (0.3)
    12) finish... but probably some blacks lines and letters, now do look overprocessed

    I notice that haze and clarity options does introduce some halos
    I notice that tons curves also create some halos efects.

    Can you then suggest/recommend some changes in my worflow ?

    here's a nedition, without haze, clarity, nix def, pre-sharp ...
    Just auto tons, color and an HighPass filter after resizing.

    Does it look better? are the halos gone ? ( I'm talking about halos...but I hardly can see then...I hope...I have identify the problem )

    thx again for your time and help
    /rgds
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    Perfect.

    Here's then the catch of the day (special attention on blacks/shadows) for pre-screening. thx

    /rgds
    All borderline for contrast/overprocessed. Last one also soft. Like the other thread I just replied to, whatever it is you're doing in editing to boost the shadows is washing out the dark areas and leaving faint editing halos.

    Leave a comment:


  • a.m.
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Correct.
    Perfect.

    Here's then the catch of the day (special attention on blacks/shadows) for pre-screening. thx

    /rgds
    Attached Files
    Last edited by a.m.; 2018-08-12, 23:25. Reason: replace img

    Leave a comment:


  • dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    #These images would be considered similar. Please pick your best one of each reg. for prescreening.
    dlowwa, just to clarify my understanding : I should post just one photo and not many edited versions of the same photo, correct ?
    thx
    /rgds
    Correct.

    Leave a comment:


  • a.m.
    replied
    #These images would be considered similar. Please pick your best one of each reg. for prescreening.
    dlowwa, just to clarify my understanding : I should post just one photo and not many edited versions of the same photo, correct ?
    thx
    /rgds

    Leave a comment:


  • dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    Thank you pdeboer

    It's time to calibrate my black gauge.

    I see a pattern alrigth, either in the shadows part, either the processing sharpening part than enhances letters/logos and generic black lines.

    So what do you think of these "new" blacks editions ?

    thanks again for your time and help

    /rgds
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    #No 5 is also soft

    yes, big planes are always dificult to put them sharp on 1280px... am I allowed to upload a 1920x1080 version (I guess not)

    /rgds
    These images would be considered similar. Please pick your best one of each reg. for prescreening.

    Leave a comment:


  • a.m.
    replied
    Originally posted by pdeboer View Post
    No. 1, 3 an5 5 are somewhat dark but moreover look over processed, there is a sort of halo/light line around the fuselage. No 5 is also soft
    No. 2 and 4 look acceptable to me
    #No 5 is also soft

    yes, big planes are always dificult to put them sharp on 1280px... am I allowed to upload a 1920x1080 version (I guess not)

    /rgds
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • a.m.
    replied
    Originally posted by pdeboer View Post
    No. 1, 3 an5 5 are somewhat dark but moreover look over processed, there is a sort of halo/light line around the fuselage. No 5 is also soft
    No. 2 and 4 look acceptable to me
    Thank you pdeboer

    It's time to calibrate my black gauge.

    I see a pattern alrigth, either in the shadows part, either the processing sharpening part than enhances letters/logos and generic black lines.

    So what do you think of these "new" blacks editions ?

    thanks again for your time and help

    /rgds
    Attached Files
    Last edited by a.m.; 2018-08-12, 15:51. Reason: image order

    Leave a comment:


  • pdeboer
    replied
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    Dear vcruvinel, wkd001, LX-A343, dlowwa

    ..


    Well, let's move along , I believe I've learn a couple of things... looking at my first photo and the latest I see some improvements ( but's only me )

    So I'll insist a couple more times.

    Another day, another run:

    So today, just toke a 5 min stop ( my wife yelling in the car ) at 19pm ... the sun just making a 90 angle with the runnway.
    and shot these 5 photos.


    /rgds
    No. 1, 3 an5 5 are somewhat dark but moreover look over processed, there is a sort of halo/light line around the fuselage. No 5 is also soft
    No. 2 and 4 look acceptable to me
    Last edited by pdeboer; 2018-08-12, 05:47. Reason: shortening the text

    Leave a comment:


  • a.m.
    replied
    Dear vcruvinel, wkd001, LX-A343, dlowwa

    Thx a million for your help and patience.

    Plane spotting should/is fun and it looks I'm making things complex.
    Far from the trued...I just want to navigate this waters... so I need some help to understand the wind.

    Anyway, let's start with some info regarding LPPT where runways 3/21 are just perfect to take photos in the morning or in the afternoon.
    Typical in good weather 3 is used for landing and in bad weather 21.

    Along the 3, there basicaly 3 spot areas
    ( from the left side - aftertoon shots )
    1) one just near the fence... probably 50 meters ways from planes
    2) the other, another 50 meters ways, across the road in a 10 meters elevation area.
    both of these runs along a 300-500 meters span.

    (form the rigth side, for shots in the morning )
    1) One in a parking/station/Mac area.


    As such, in the afternoon, there's lots of spot to choose from ...
    from 50 to 100 meters aways of the planes
    and along the runway from 300 meters before the begining of the runway to 200 meters after the begining.

    So, when I start posting some photos here... I started in the farway spot.
    The first comments where : to soft, haze, compressed

    Then I move to a closer place : still haze, compressed, dark

    Then I change camera, lens and spot, trying to remove the haze by shooting from below : backlit

    Ok, I'm doing all tests at the same time. find the best place, choose the rigth camera/lens.... and hope that the photo be sharp.
    All the tests were done a different time of the day... when was possible to pass by and stop to take a couple of pictures.

    I need to know the rules of the game : size, position, colours, sharpeness, colour temperature,shadows, highlights, saturation, etc,etc
    It's so easy to go wrong with any of these and have a refused photo.


    Well, let's move along , I believe I've learn a couple of things... looking at my first photo and the latest I see some improvements ( but's only me )

    So I'll insist a couple more times.

    Another day, another run:

    So today, just toke a 5 min stop ( my wife yelling in the car ) at 19pm ... the sun just making a 90 angle with the runnway.
    and shot these 5 photos.


    /rgds
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • LX-A343
    replied
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    Thx dlowwa

    #Regardless of the sun's position to you, it is on the other side of the aircraft in relation to you, so the aircraft are mostly in shadow.
    Ok.

    what's is good angle to the plane ? 90

    looking at this foto (out of the camera, no touch) everything seems to be well exposed well. I see no shadows,
    and the sun is the same side as me... not 90, but probably 30.

    #None of these images would ever be accepted here,
    Sure, I have no problems with that, I'm just tried to figure out the rules of the game.
    In this airport we have spots , left and rigth of the runway, so it's easy to follow the sun. That's not the problem.

    #Make sure that the color profile for your working space matches your browser's default color space (usually sRGB) to ensure the colors match.
    got it... trying with another browser ..it looks ok... which is good, that means that you are also seeing the correct corrects.

    thanks again for your time and help

    /rgds
    The last photo is again slightly backlit and the aircraft too far away.

    Regarding colour space: Colour space is tagged as sRGB, but without an embedded colour profile. Windows and Mac browsers and apps treat the colours randomly. So, on your system, the photo may look OK, on another PC or Mac maybe not.

    Leave a comment:


  • wkd001
    replied
    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
    Thx dlowwa

    #Regardless of the sun's position to you, it is on the other side of the aircraft in relation to you, so the aircraft are mostly in shadow.
    Ok.

    what's is good angle to the plane ? 90

    looking at this foto (out of the camera, no touch) everything seems to be well exposed well. I see no shadows,
    and the sun is the same side as me... not 90, but probably 30.

    #None of these images would ever be accepted here,
    Sure, I have no problems with that, I'm just tried to figure out the rules of the game.
    In this airport we have spots , left and rigth of the runway, so it's easy to follow the sun. That's not the problem.

    #Make sure that the color profile for your working space matches your browser's default color space (usually sRGB) to ensure the colors match.
    got it... trying with another browser ..it looks ok... which is good, that means that you are also seeing the correct corrects.

    thanks again for your time and help

    /rgds
    Colors seems OK.
    But this image is still backlit, as the tail is in shadow. Apparently the sun was on the right side of you , because the Easyjet lining up is in completele sunlight.
    That's the kind of light you shpuld use to bring photos to the DB.
    As Dana and Vinicius are mentioning . keep the sun full in your back.
    Don't know Lisbon, but you should use this spot on another time of the day.

    Best Regards,

    Wilko

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X