Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pre-screen photos at dawn

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    I use Photoshop CS5. 8 years old now, but still easily more than enough for editing of simple aviation photos.

    Time of day can also make a big difference on the amount of haze visible, so you don't necessarily need to wait for the season to change. I shoot a lot in the summer, but only in the hour / hour and a half before sunset.

    As for jpeg vs. RAW, both will be the same resolution if you've set your jpegs up that way, but the RAW file will contain a lot more information relating to color/exposure. If you trust your camera to get the jpeg processing right, there's not a huge advantage for RAW over jpeg. I still always shoot RAW since storage is cheap, and in the rare case the camera gets something like the white balance wrong, it's far easier to fix if you're working with a RAW file.
    Thanks dlowwa

    #As for jpeg vs. RAW, both will be the same resolution if you've set your jpegs up that way, but the RAW file will contain a lot more information relating to color/exposure
    In the past with my Olympus OM E-10... the JPEG was as good as the raw file.
    But with Nikon, I always seen the JPEG out of the camera as a bit soft. Anyway, as you mentioned storage is cheap nowadays, so I'll keep RAW


    #I use Photoshop CS5. 8 years old now, but still easily more than enough for editing of simple aviation photos.
    Well I may go for it. In the meantime I'm using/learning to use GIMP, Darkable and Mac OS standard Photo tools.
    I've used Nikon View... but as strange as it seems the the raw convert and the jpeg compressor isn't as good as in the other tools.

    Now I start to understand, the compress efects, halos and softness you mentioned..
    I was expecting to use the photos just as they come out of the camera...maybe just adjusting some color levels.

    But no, life (and good photos) do need some processing.

    So I'm fighting now with masks and layers and sharpening and low passs and and... .. the halos are still there..
    It looks GIMP and Photoshop handles halos/jagges removing in a different way.


    So one final request to you : can you edit one more photo ? the Vueling EC-MBS ?

    I would use then that and your previous editing as my benchmark
    Once I could replicate your work... I can try to pusblish some photos.

    thanks again for your time and help

    /rgds

    Comment


    • #17
      Dear All


      Can you please comment/review these two ?

      Thx for your time and help

      /rgds
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #18
        Not a screener, but EasyJet looks dark, noisy, compressed, Vueling appears to me to be blurry/soft, noisy, compressed, and possibly heat hazed.


        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by a.m. View Post
          Dear All


          Can you please comment/review these two ?

          Thx for your time and help

          /rgds
          1. dark, heat haze, compression
          2. soft, overprocessed (pretty strong editing halos)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by PrestonFiedler View Post
            Not a screener, but EasyJet looks dark, noisy, compressed, Vueling appears to me to be blurry/soft, noisy, compressed, and possibly heat hazed.
            Thx Preston
            Boy, oh boy, there's no salvation from here...

            /rgds

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by PrestonFiedler View Post
              Not a screener, but EasyJet looks dark, noisy, compressed, Vueling appears to me to be blurry/soft, noisy, compressed, and possibly heat hazed.
              Thx Preston
              Boy, oh boy, there's no salvation from here...

              /rgds

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                1. dark, heat haze, compression
                2. soft, overprocessed (pretty strong editing halos)
                Thx dlowwa

                All the sins in the Universe and a couple more I believe ..

                /rgds

                Comment


                • #23
                  How about this new version ?
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by a.m. View Post
                    How about this new version ?
                    2. borderline oversharpened/overprocessed
                    4. ok

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                      2. borderline oversharpened/overprocessed
                      4. ok
                      Thx dlowwa

                      Photo 2, wasn't the best one to start with.
                      A bit darker, overcast, taken with lots of haze @45c/113F.
                      The above border line, probably was the result of applying a mask/processing just to the sky. Probably needed some additional sharpner/halo work.

                      Ok now I start to understand the sentence : "Photoshop can make miracles".

                      thanks again for your time and help

                      /rgds

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Dear all

                        Can you be so kind (as usual) and comment this batch ? thx

                        /rgds
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by a.m. View Post
                          Dear all

                          Can you be so kind (as usual) and comment this batch ? thx

                          /rgds
                          All borderline for the same three issues: color (too yellow), compression, and heat haze. First two problems should be easy enough to fix.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                            All borderline for the same three issues: color (too yellow), compression, and heat haze. First two problems should be easy enough to fix.
                            Thx dlowwa

                            The compression I believe I can see it... however neither the color, neither the haze. Tried a couple of times... but didn't notice a difference in my edits.
                            As such, I've applyed a new technique...basically doing all the filtering before cropping...and later applying some of them again.

                            Since today was cold, shot several new photos in a different angle ... so probably haze and yellow may have gone , who knows

                            Here's then the catch of the day. (as soon as I finish my tests , I'll go back the previous ones )

                            Thanks again for your time and help

                            /rgds
                            a.m.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by a.m. View Post
                              Dear all

                              Can you be so kind (as usual) and comment this batch ? thx

                              /rgds
                              Here's a new editing
                              /rgds
                              Attached Files

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by a.m. View Post
                                Thx dlowwa

                                The compression I believe I can see it... however neither the color, neither the haze. Tried a couple of times... but didn't notice a difference in my edits.
                                As such, I've applyed a new technique...basically doing all the filtering before cropping...and later applying some of them again.

                                Since today was cold, shot several new photos in a different angle ... so probably haze and yellow may have gone , who knows

                                Here's then the catch of the day. (as soon as I finish my tests , I'll go back the previous ones )

                                Thanks again for your time and help

                                /rgds
                                a.m.
                                Images are all dark, and borderline overprocessed.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X