No announcement yet.

Equalisation. JP versus PS CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you set up the keyboard function on windows Brian?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenden S View Post
      How do you set up the keyboard function on windows Brian?
      Take a look here Brenden..

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        This shot was rejected for .jpg compression and noise.
        JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

The sky received absolutely no processing at all. The first image here is the equalised image in JP. The second image is the equalised version in Photoshop CC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19817[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19818[/ATTACH]

This is why I believe that decisions are being made based on the equalised image which is totally unfair, rather than the uploaded image. There is absolutely nothing in the PS equalised version to indicate compression or excess noise and I don't see any artefacts in the uploaded image.
        I have reuploaded a reprocessed version but you are probably going to think that it is the unchanged original image. I assure you that it isn't.

Constructive comments would be welcomed.
        any update on this process?

Comment

Originally posted by yousaf View Post

any update on this process?
          ummm.. which process needed an update?

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

ummm.. which process needed an update?
            brianw999's method of preventing compression rejection.

Comment

This? Don't think it really needs an 'update' but if so, which part do you think does?

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              I think that I have fixed the problem. I have set everything to zero in ACR that involves noise reduction and sharpening. All I use ACR for now is resizing, setting the colour channels histograms, selecting remove chromatic aberration and selecting the lens correction value for my 18-300.

When I go to PS CC I select the aircraft only and use Pik sharpening and Pik dFine noise reduction.

This basically means that the sky gets absolutely no processing at all. This is the resulting equalisation as seen in JP....
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]19847[/ATTACH]

Compared to the rejection...
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]19848[/ATTACH]

They are admittedly different frames but they were taken within a second or so.

Here is another example this time from the same frame. Rejection first, then the latest upload...
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]19849[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19850[/ATTACH]

Comment

This? Don't think it really needs an 'update' but if so, which part do you think does?

The whole of it ... Just kidding.

What my understanding is
                1. Import in LR
                2. Apply Lens correction
                3. setting everything else to zero
                4. select aircraft in PS
                5. Apply correct level adjustment
                6. Apply curves adjustment
                7. Apply Noise reduction using Nik dfine?
                8. Resize
                9. Apply Sharpening using Nik Sharpener
                10. Remove any dust spots.
                11. Close and save
                12. Export from LR.

Comment

The whole of it ... Just kidding.

What my understanding is
                  1. Import in LR
                  2. Apply Lens correction
                  3. setting everything else to zero
                  4. select aircraft in PS
                  5. Apply correct level adjustment
                  6. Apply curves adjustment
                  7. Apply Noise reduction using Nik dfine?
                  8. Resize
                  9. Apply Sharpening using Nik Sharpener
                  10. Remove any dust spots.
                  11. Close and save
                  12. Export from LR.
                  That's Brian's workflow, so he'll have to reply.. but again, what kind of 'update' are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                    Thank you for the suggestion Brian, as you know this has been discussed many times among the crew. Somehow, my personal opinion here, is that CS equalising tool doesn't do the job correctly, specially on light sky areas. Dozens of times they were spots that were fully visible unequalled, where the CS equaliser tool would show nothing more while the JP tool would make it much clearer. As screeners we need a tool we can rely on all type of skies, not only dark ones. We later decided to make it available to all so they can use it just like screeners. I also believe that a 2sec check after uploading a picture isn't much to ask to uploaders compared of the quantity of time crew members spend on checking their pics on screening.

And, I can also suggest to the following to make your CS tool just as strong as our JP tool

1st the image itself, maybe you can spot the dust ? It's visible over the trees

As you can see, second image shows the sky with normal CS equalising tool, not much visible than previous version

Open "curves" and modify the line as shown - Then the dust is much more visible, it's an extra step but since I'm using it my rejection rate for dust is close to zero, really helped me improve.

hope it helps

Alex
                    Just came across this post. Thanks, have learnt something new now..

Comment

That's Brian's workflow, so he'll have to reply.. but again, what kind of 'update' are you looking for?
                      With update in Adobe software, does this workflow needs any change? Or the steps I mentioned should be fine?
                      brianw999 can also comment on it.

Comment

With update in Adobe software, does this workflow needs any change? Or the steps I mentioned should be fine?
                        brianw999 can also comment on it.
                        Honestly, I find that there is not one workflow that works perfectly for everyone, or even every photo. Feel free to try and use only the steps in the workflow above, but also be aware that there is a very high likelihood you will need to modify it on a case-by-case basis.

Comment

Working...
                        X