Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In search of first accepted photos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In search of first accepted photos

    Hi! I hope you are well,

    I've been trying to get my first accepted posts on jetphotos, I have checked for spots and adjusted the histogram on both shots. The virgin a330 was rejected for bad post processing and bad composition. I feel as though that the composition has been improved (aircraft centred more).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059 reedit 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	696.7 KB
ID:	1045817
    Next I have a Qatar A350 which was previously rejected for cropping/photo edges/size ratio and dust spots. I feel that I've fixed the dust spots but I wasn't sure about the cropping because I've seen plenty of posts with lots of excess sky (I was initially told to crop that out so I did).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0143 reedit 8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	1045816
    All in all I feel that these are my best two photos but I am afraid that they aren't crisp enough (my camera is a Nikon D50 13 years old).
    Please let me know what you think!
    Adam

  • #2
    Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
    Hi! I hope you are well,

    I've been trying to get my first accepted posts on jetphotos, I have checked for spots and adjusted the histogram on both shots. The virgin a330 was rejected for bad post processing and bad composition. I feel as though that the composition has been improved (aircraft centred more).
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20280[/ATTACH]
    Next I have a Qatar A350 which was previously rejected for cropping/photo edges/size ratio and dust spots. I feel that I've fixed the dust spots but I wasn't sure about the cropping because I've seen plenty of posts with lots of excess sky (I was initially told to crop that out so I did).
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20279[/ATTACH]
    All in all I feel that these are my best two photos but I am afraid that they aren't crisp enough (my camera is a Nikon D50 13 years old).
    Please let me know what you think!
    Adam
    VS A330: no chance. Lacks basic quality (blurry, oversharpen, noise)
    QR A350: cropping (size ratio should be at least 16:9), in addition slightly blurry
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

    Comment


    • #3
      The Qatar is very tightly cropped. A little bit of space is better especially on the nose and tail. Cropping to a ratio of 3:2 will help to create a more balanced frame.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
        VS A330: no chance. Lacks basic quality (blurry, oversharpen, noise)
        QR A350: cropping (size ratio should be at least 16:9), in addition slightly blurry
        So if both photos lack basic quality (both taken RAW and max quality 3000x2000) then the camera isnít up to scratch? Youíll have to explain noise to me unfortunately, with the Qatar one should I revert to original file and edit again?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by glidescopeAviation View Post
          The Qatar is very tightly cropped. A little bit of space is better especially on the nose and tail. Cropping to a ratio of 3:2 will help to create a more balanced frame.
          From what i remember the photo was taken like that without a lot of room at the sides of the aircraft.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
            So if both photos lack basic quality (both taken RAW and max quality 3000x2000) then the camera isn’t up to scratch? You’ll have to explain noise to me unfortunately, with the Qatar one should I revert to original file and edit again?
            Hasn't really much to do with the camera, but with what you are trying to do with it. Looks as if you had to zoom a lot into your original photo.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
              So if both photos lack basic quality (both taken RAW and max quality 3000x2000) then the camera isn’t up to scratch? ... with the Qatar one should I revert to original file and edit again?
              Without seeing the original, too hard to say if editing is the issue, or the quality is just too low to start with. As the old adage goes, quality in, quality out.

              Also, please read this, specifically #2: https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ning-from-crew

              If you'd like any more advice the crew, please remove these images from the queue.

              Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
              You’ll have to explain noise to me unfortunately
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_noise

              Comment


              • #8
                Despite the old age, you should still have no problem getting decent images out of the D50 sensor. Not ideal, but certainly still capable. The post-processing is very poor, less is always more and when dealing with RAWs it's easy to go overboard due to the abundance of editing potential.

                I would suggest for now you shoot JPEG fine and do minor adjustments, brightness/contrast and sharpening to get used to it. As other's have mentioned though it's hard to gauge without seeing the originals so if you could post them it may help.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NeilA330 View Post
                  Despite the old age, you should still have no problem getting decent images out of the D50 sensor. Not ideal, but certainly still capable. The post-processing is very poor, less is always more and when dealing with RAWs it's easy to go overboard due to the abundance of editing potential.

                  I would suggest for now you shoot JPEG fine and do minor adjustments, brightness/contrast and sharpening to get used to it. As other's have mentioned though it's hard to gauge without seeing the originals so if you could post them it may help.
                  For those who asked - here are the original files converted from NEF to JPEG

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	552.1 KB
ID:	1031689Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0143.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	1031690

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                    Without seeing the original, too hard to say if editing is the issue, or the quality is just too low to start with. As the old adage goes, quality in, quality out.

                    Also, please read this, specifically #2: https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ning-from-crew

                    If you'd like any more advice the crew, please remove these images from the queue.



                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_noise
                    Is it best to use lens zoom rather than cropping? I also thought lens zoom was much better but I found that I ended up cutting parts of aircraft off

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                      Hasn't really much to do with the camera, but with what you are trying to do with it. Looks as if you had to zoom a lot into your original photo.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	552.1 KB
ID:	1031691
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	496.3 KB
ID:	1031692
                      I have two photos of the same aircraft the top one is the one I showed you and the bottom one is another photo of the same aircraft, do you think that it is worth using the bottom one as it won't have to be zoomed in as much?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
                        For those who asked - here are the original files converted from NEF to JPEG
                        These two images show that indeed, softness is an issue, and this is exacerbated by the need to crop a fair amount on the first, and the relatively low resolution overall. Higher resolution (i.e. more pixels, i.e. 'better' camera) would definitely help in this situation, but is not necessarily mandatory.

                        Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
                        Is it best to use lens zoom rather than cropping? I also thought lens zoom was much better but I found that I ended up cutting parts of aircraft off
                        Better to fill the frame as much as possible, as you don't have that many pixels to work with.

                        Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
                        I have two photos of the same aircraft the top one is the one I showed you and the bottom one is another photo of the same aircraft, do you think that it is worth using the bottom one as it won't have to be zoomed in as much?
                        The second one would stand a much better chance. It too is quite soft, but since you will need to crop relatively little, you may be able to hide this when you size down to 1024 or 1200.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                          These two images show that indeed, softness is an issue, and this is exacerbated by the need to crop a fair amount on the first, and the relatively low resolution overall. Higher resolution (i.e. more pixels, i.e. 'better' camera) would definitely help in this situation, but is not necessarily mandatory.
                          I was looking to replace my camera at some point, hopefully before the start of spring but I'm glad that someone has identified a solution.

                          Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                          Better to fill the frame as much as possible, as you don't have that many pixels to work with.
                          So optical zoom is the way to go? Perhaps a 300mm lens?

                          Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                          The second one would stand a much better chance. It too is quite soft, but since you will need to crop relatively little, you may be able to hide this when you size down to 1024 or 1200.
                          I also downscaled to 1280 as that is the maximum jetphotos takes, are the two mentioned better?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            First of all: yes, optical zoom is always better than digital zoom or having to crop out too much. With that in mind, the lens you need is the depending on what kind of photography you mostly do and from what spots you usually take photos. Most photographers have a zoom lens reaching 300 or more mm.

                            In our case, I suggest you start with the second VS A330 photo and try to get something at 1280 px. You can also do the same with the QR above. There is plenty of space to get a nicely cropped photo in 3:2 size ratio as suggested above.
                            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                              First of all: yes, optical zoom is always better than digital zoom or having to crop out too much. With that in mind, the lens you need is the depending on what kind of photography you mostly do and from what spots you usually take photos. Most photographers have a zoom lens reaching 300 or more mm.
                              I have thought about getting a 300mm lens but then if I'm upgrading in the future I might need an AF-S lens rather than an AF lens. I thought about a Nikon D3400 at some point but I really have no idea on what to get as long as it isn't too expensive.

                              Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                              In our case, I suggest you start with the second VS A330 photo and try to get something at 1280 px. You can also do the same with the QR above. There is plenty of space to get a nicely cropped photo in 3:2 size ratio as suggested above.
                              I have edited the VS A330 using less is more, I removed the dust spots, rotated slightly, cropped and then touched up the histogram. I hope that this is better.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061 1280.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	1031693

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X