In search of first accepted photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
    I have thought about getting a 300mm lens but then if I'm upgrading in the future I might need an AF-S lens rather than an AF lens. I thought about a Nikon D3400 at some point but I really have no idea on what to get as long as it isn't too expensive.

I have edited the VS A330 using less is more, I removed the dust spots, rotated slightly, cropped and then touched up the histogram. I hope that this is better.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20294[/ATTACH]
    Better, but too low in the frame, still soft, and wrong color profile. ProPhoto is not the prefered color space, please use sRGB.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      Better, but too low in the frame, still soft, and wrong color profile. ProPhoto is not the prefered color space, please use sRGB.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061 sharpen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	1031695
      I feel like we are getting there, I googled colour space and went to the color settings on Photoshop which did say sRGB so I'm not sure I was looking at the right thing. When you say too low in the frame does that mean you want it higher up? I cropped a bit of the bottom section off because it was fence (see RAW a little further up #11) I have tried to heal fence out before but it was a disaster...

But I just want to say thank you to everyone that commented it has honestly been really helpful and insightful

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20296[/ATTACH]
        I feel like we are getting there, I googled colour space and went to the color settings on Photoshop which did say sRGB so I'm not sure I was looking at the right thing. When you say too low in the frame does that mean you want it higher up?
        Yes, still too low, and wrong color space. Borderline oversharpened now too.

I cropped a bit of the bottom section off because it was fence (see RAW a little further up #11) I have tried to heal fence out before but it was a disaster...
        Indeed, such manipulation will result in an automatic rejection, and possibly an upload ban if repeated. Please read the upload guide to be fully aware of what is allowed, and what is not when it comes to editing.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
          Yes, still too low, and wrong color space. Borderline oversharpened now too.
          Resharpened (increased threshold)
          I also screenshotted the colour settings which says sRGB maybe I'm saving it wrong perhaps
          Also if I am moving the photo higher in frame then can I crop the top of the photo slightly?

Name:	DSC_0061 73.jpg
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	1031696
          I have cropped the photo to the a few pixels off the lowest accepted height.

Name:	DSC_0061 top crop.jpg
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	1031698

Name:	DSC_0061 resharpen with crop.jpg
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	1031703
          Attached Files

Comment

For those who asked - here are the original files converted from NEF to JPEG

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20288[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20289[/ATTACH]
            Wow that sensor is dirtier than my ex girlfriend!

You're going to have a hard time editing the photos sufficiently as the dust is literally all over the shot including parts of the plane. Have you cleaned the sensor and or mirror?

Name:	DSC_0143_1.jpg
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	1031699

Name:	DSC_0143.jpg
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	1031700

You can still get an alright result with the Qatar because you have more px to work with, but as dlowwa has said, the VS is hard because you end up cropping in so much on an already limited amount of pixels. It would be marginally better if you included the entirety of the port wing, but then you've got the issue of the gigantic dust spot over the wingtip, the framing then also wouldn't be ideal.

Name:	DSC_0059 (1).jpg
Size:	695.3 KB
ID:	1031701

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	1031702

What lens are you using with the D50? You are right it is an old camera and it is limited in this day and age but I would strongly suggest improving proficiency with it before upgrading, you'll be be better off in the long run. As and when, I also wouldn't bother with the D3400, I'd stick to the D3300 and save some money to put towards a better lens.

Comment

Resharpened (increased threshold)
              I also screenshotted the colour settings which says sRGB maybe I'm saving it wrong perhaps
              Also if I am moving the photo higher in frame then can I crop the top of the photo slightly?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20297[/ATTACH]
              I have cropped the photo to the a few pixels off the lowest accepted height.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]20301[/ATTACH]
              Stick to an accepted ratio for crop, 3x2, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilA330 View Post
                Wow that sensor is dirtier than my ex girlfriend!

You're going to have a hard time editing the photos sufficiently as the dust is literally all over the shot including parts of the plane. Have you cleaned the sensor and or mirror?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20302[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]20303[/ATTACH]
                I am going to get some cleaner but I'm a bit sceptical with what I'm buying, I've heard it's an easy task to clean but it will be my first time.

You can still get an alright result with the Qatar because you have more px to work with, but as dlowwa has said, the VS is hard because you end up cropping in so much on an already limited amount of pixels. It would be marginally better if you included the entirety of the port wing, but then you've got the issue of the gigantic dust spot over the wingtip, the framing then also wouldn't be ideal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20304[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]20305[/ATTACH]
                My photo was rejected last time I included the whole wing, I did manage to remove the spot (quite well I think) but again I was told the aircraft wasn't centre so I cropped the photo.

What lens are you using with the D50? You are right it is an old camera and it is limited in this day and age but I would strongly suggest improving proficiency with it before upgrading, you'll be be better off in the long run. As and when, I also wouldn't bother with the D3400, I'd stick to the D3300 and save some money to put towards a better lens.
                Tamron Di II 1:4-5.6 Macro AF 55-200mm lens, right I'll have a look at it now, I think that once I've improved and I'm confident with the manual settings and my editing is improved, I'll think about buying a better camera. Plus when I comes to lenses I look at the size and price thats all I don't really know the difference between brands, apatures, Macros, I have no idea.

Comment

Stick to an accepted ratio for crop, 3x2, etc.

No idea what to do, if I stick to 1280x588 320x147 (32x15 ish) thats where I can fit everything on. Otherwise I either have aircraft too low or I have fence at the bottom.
                  Is it worth scrapping the photo?

Comment

Use 16 x 9 then. The fence, even though unsightly, isn't or at least shouldn't be enough reason for rejection. Imho it's not obtrusive enough to constitute foreground clutter but I'm not a screener so perhaps one could weigh in on that.

Something like this for framing looks fine to me. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg
Size:	652.3 KB
ID:	1031704

To clean the sensor I would strongly advice just to use a blower on the mirror and then the sensor in mirror lock up mode. They are delicate and you don't want to damage it so that is the limit that I personally would go to, if stubborn intrusive dust remains and it causes sufficient annoyance then I would look to get it professionally cleaned, though that being said it would probably cost more than your camera so might no be worth it in this instance! Click image for larger version

Name:	LGG552_04.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1031705

I'm assuming with everything you've said this is your first DSLR. The best way to improve is to learn as much as you can and get out shooting and practicing. With youtube and the net there is no shortage of resources to help a budding photographer so its easier now then ever to improve. There is an absolutely fantastic walk through and editing guidelines on this site and following that you should have no problem getting your first photo on the site.

Comment

No idea what to do, if I stick to 1280x588 320x147 (32x15 ish) thats where I can fit everything on. Otherwise I either have aircraft too low or I have fence at the bottom.
                      Is it worth scrapping the photo?
                      Strat framing from scratch. The original photo is 3:2. Start from there and try stick with that size ratio.
                      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Use 16 x 9 then. The fence, even though unsightly, isn't or at least shouldn't be enough reason for rejection. Imho it's not obtrusive enough to constitute foreground clutter but I'm not a screener so perhaps one could weigh in on that.

Something like this for framing looks fine to me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]20308[/ATTACH]
                        That looks great, better than my attempts for some reason, I always assumed that fence was something to avoid but I'm not the most experienced of people, I'll re-edit it and see what it looks like and I'll let you know

To clean the sensor I would strongly advice just to use a blower on the mirror and then the sensor in mirror lock up mode. They are delicate and you don't want to damage it so that is the limit that I personally would go to, if stubborn intrusive dust remains and it causes sufficient annoyance then I would look to get it professionally cleaned, though that being said it would probably cost more than your camera so might no be worth it in this instance! [ATTACH=CONFIG]20309[/ATTACH]
                        I've heard of the blower thing before, I was also told about a gel and swab or something but then I was sceptical about residue and again I wasn't sure what to do. Yeah! I wouldn't be surprised if it was more expensive

I'm assuming with everything you've said this is your first DSLR. The best way to improve is to learn as much as you can and get out shooting and practicing. With youtube and the net there is no shortage of resources to help a budding photographer so its easier now then ever to improve. There is an absolutely fantastic walk through and editing guidelines on this site and following that you should have no problem getting your first photo on the site.
                        It is indeed my first, it was passed down from my grandad along with the lens, I just enjoyed taking photos and then I went to the the airport viewing centre in July and put the two together after that. I've practiced panning with the cars going by outside as the airport is an hour or two away, I will be routing through these forums for advice and I'm confident in saying there is an immense amount of it. As a side note that Qatar A350 REG A7-ALQ, has the initials of my full name ALQ, I'm not saying it will happen but it would be nice to have my first photo on JetPhotos with my initials.

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                          Strat framing from scratch. The original photo is 3:2. Start from there and try stick with that size ratio.
                          I will indeed like Neil said, the fence may not be an issue that was just my preconception of it.

Comment

I will indeed like Neil said, the fence may not be an issue that was just my preconception of it.
                            It's subjective. In general you would ideally want to avoid it wherever possible but it just depends on how distracting and detracting it is from the overall photo.

Comment

It's subjective. In general you would ideally want to avoid it wherever possible but it just depends on how distracting and detracting it is from the overall photo.
                              Here we go, 2 edits both same adjustments, sharpen etc

Name:	DSC_0061 3 2 1280x851 sharpen 200 0.3 5.jpg
Size:	804.0 KB
ID:	1031708
                              3:2
                              1280x851
                              Sharpen Amount 200, Radius 0.3, Threshold 5

Name:	DSC_0061 16 9 1280x720 sharpen 200 0.3 5.jpg
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	1031707
                              16:9
                              1280x720
                              Sharpen Amount 200, Radius 0.3, Threshold 5

Let me know what you think,
                              Once again thank you everyone for your time today it's has been appreciated 110%, I can't thank you enough

Comment

16:9 is the only crop ratio that can work for this shot because the aircraft is too low in the original frame. Looks oversharpened to me. For basic sharpening use unsharp mask Amount: 50, Radius: 0.4, Threshold:0 and reapply as necessary. I can also still see the dust post below the horizontal stabilizer and that's without equalizing it. Much improved from the first VS shot though but as I've said, I'm not a screener so best wait for a more qualified response. There's plenty of good advice in this thread though. No need to thank, we all have to start somewhere and I would be remiss to not offer help if within my capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X