Adam Quinn - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Quinn - Editing Advice

Hi, just asking for some pre-screening advice as I have a rather high rejection rate. Does the amount of cloud affect acceptance rate? On a recent trip I have plenty of photos but do any of them stand a chance with cloudy conditions?

1. D-AISQ
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0096.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	499.3 KB
ID:	1045840

2. D-AIRT

Name:	DSC_0261.jpg
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	1045841

3. A6-EEB

Name:	DSC_0255-Edit.jpg
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	1045842

4. G-JZBC

Views:	2
Size:	601.1 KB
ID:	1045843

5. PH-BXR

Name:	DSC_0357.jpg
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	1045844

Thank you in advance
    Adam

Originally posted by Adam Quinn View Post
    Does the amount of cloud affect acceptance rate?
    It affects the contrast of the image. If the sky is overcast, you'll need to adjust the contrast (rule of thumb: rejections are usually for "too little"), but quite often the image just can't be salvaged.

I'm not a screener / JP team member, so will leave screening of your photos up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by jvdl View Post
      It affects the contrast of the image. If the sky is overcast, you'll need to adjust the contrast (rule of thumb: rejections are usually for "too little"), but quite often the image just can't be salvaged.

I'm not a screener / JP team member, so will leave screening of your photos up to them.
      I'll bear that in mind, thank you

Comment

Hi, just asking for some pre-screening advice as I have a rather high rejection rate. Does the amount of cloud affect acceptance rate? On a recent trip I have plenty of photos but do any of them stand a chance with cloudy conditions?

1. D-AISQ
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20889[/ATTACH]

2. D-AIRT
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20890[/ATTACH]

3. A6-EEB
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20891[/ATTACH]

4. G-JZBC
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20892[/ATTACH]

5. PH-BXR
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20893[/ATTACH]

Thank you in advance
        Adam
        Hello! I am not screener but ...
        1. dark / contrast , soft
        2. dark
        3.borderline contrast / dark
        4. borderline soft and bad composition (too low in frame)
        5. contrast

1,2,3 have no concert (bad light)

Comment

1. D-AISQ
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20889[/ATTACH]

2. D-AIRT
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20890[/ATTACH]

3. A6-EEB
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20891[/ATTACH]

4. G-JZBC
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20892[/ATTACH]

5. PH-BXR
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20893[/ATTACH]

Thank you in advance
          Adam
          Would all be rejected for:

1-3 soft, noise, contrast
          4 soft, centering
          5 blurry, cropping

Images taken in poor light will invariably be more difficult to get accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

4 soft, centering
            5 blurry, cropping

For 1-3 this is my edit for number 2 (only doing one until I'm on the right tracks)

Name:	DSC_0261 2.jpg
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	1032194

Here's number 4

ID:	1032195

Instead of number 5, here's a new photo but it has increased contrast, sharpened further and noise reduced (same batch of photos as 1-3)

Name:	DSC_0255-Edit2.jpg
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	1032196

Comment

For 1-3 this is my edit for number 2 (only doing one until I'm on the right tracks)
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]20907[/ATTACH]

Here's number 4
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]20908[/ATTACH]

Instead of number 5, here's a new photo but it has increased contrast, sharpened further and noise reduced (same batch of photos as 1-3)
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]20909[/ATTACH]
              As explained, please limit yourself to 5 photos per 24h. Thank you.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

4 soft, centering
                5 blurry, cropping

Name:	DSC_0261 2.jpg
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	1032194

Here's number 4

ID:	1032195

Name:	DSC_0255-Edit2.jpg
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	1032196

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20907[/ATTACH]

Here's number 4
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]20908[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20909[/ATTACH]
                  1: dulll/dark and slightly blurry, soft
                  2: still too low in the frame, did you change anything at all?
                  3: dark/dull, lacks contrast and soft

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                    1: dulll/dark and slightly blurry, soft
                    2: still too low in the frame, did you change anything at all?
                    3: dark/dull, lacks contrast and soft
                    1,3 So when you say dark/dull is that a brightness issue? When I hear dull, I can't change that by editing can I? That's to do with the weather conditions, right. It appears that all my photos are soft, I really don't know what I'm looking for, I've done camera raw filter then high pass filter, and that's still not sharp enough, if I go any higher with the sharpening then there's more noise, more noise means more noise reduction which means less detail or have I got it all wrong?

When I edit this is what I do
                    Lightroom
                    1. Angle correction (horizon)
                    2. Crop
                    3. Spot deletion

Photoshop
                    1. Camera raw filter sharpen and reduce noise
                    2. High pass filter
                    3. Trim curves histogram

Everytime I go through brightness, contrast, exposure and all of that, I get carried away and end up with illuminous grass, I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to editing.

Comment

1,3 So when you say dark/dull is that a brightness issue? When I hear dull, I can't change that by editing can I? That's to do with the weather conditions, right. It appears that all my photos are soft, I really don't know what I'm looking for, I've done camera raw filter then high pass filter, and that's still not sharp enough, if I go any higher with the sharpening then there's more noise, more noise means more noise reduction which means less detail or have I got it all wrong?

When I edit this is what I do
                      Lightroom
                      1. Angle correction (horizon)
                      2. Crop
                      3. Spot deletion

Photoshop
                      1. Camera raw filter sharpen and reduce noise
                      2. High pass filter
                      3. Trim curves histogram

Everytime I go through brightness, contrast, exposure and all of that, I get carried away and end up with illuminous grass, I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to editing.
                      I would start with shooting in better light. If you're happy with the images you take in dull (flat) light, that's great, but don't expect to have too much success submitting them here. There are a combination of factors that could be leading to the softness, but rather than trying to fix them with editing, I'd be looking at trying to prevent them in the first place. As the old adage goes, quality in - quality out.

Comment

I would start with shooting in better light. If you're happy with the images you take in dull (flat) light, that's great, but don't expect to have too much success submitting them here. There are a combination of factors that could be leading to the softness, but rather than trying to fix them with editing, I'd be looking at trying to prevent them in the first place. As the old adage goes, quality in - quality out.
                        So ultimately if I want success here I need to be shooting in good light (sunshine) and with a better camera, we had this conversation before, I'm looking at a Sony A33, Nikon D3200 or a Canon 550D. Would the sharpness option on my camera do anything major? I think it's always been set at normal, I've set it to +2 now and next time I go spotting I'll let you know what the results are.

Comment

So ultimately if I want success here I need to be shooting in good light (sunshine) and with a better camera, we had this conversation before, I'm looking at a Sony A33, Nikon D3200 or a Canon 550D. Would the sharpness option on my camera do anything major? I think it's always been set at normal, I've set it to +2 now and next time I go spotting I'll let you know what the results are.
                          I never mentioned better camera. I don't know what you're currently using, and as I said above, all of the problems with the above images stem from shooting in poor conditions. A 'better' camera would likely do little to remedy that.

Comment

I never mentioned better camera. I don't know what you're currently using, and as I said above, all of the problems with the above images stem from shooting in poor conditions. A 'better' camera would likely do little to remedy that.
                            Nikon D50 made 2005 - max res 3000x2000, 6 megapixels, iso 200-1600, shutter 1/4000 - 30s
                            I have 2 photos on JP from a day with good lighting, should I prescreen the other photos here?

Comment

Nikon D50 made 2005 - max res 3000x2000, 6 megapixels, iso 200-1600, shutter 1/4000 - 30s
                              I have 2 photos on JP from a day with good lighting, should I prescreen the other photos here?
                              As mentioned, if you decide to take photos in poor light conditions, not even a full frame top notch 20k+ USD worth of equipment will bring you acceptable photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X