Marv - prescreening request / editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marv - prescreening request / editing advice

Hey there, I'm looking for some guideline clarification on the following pictures:

Picture #1

Is this kind of reflection acceptable, and would that tug in front of the nose gear count as obstruction?

Picture #2

What about this glare? Is it a problem if it's on the plane?

Picture #3

If the glare on #2 is a problem, is the same glare acceptable if it's not on the plane?

Picture #4

Is this stair car an obstruction, and what about the glare here? Is it minor enough?

Thanks so much in advance!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Marv View Post
    Hey there, I'm looking for some guideline clarification on the following pictures:

Picture #1

Is this kind of reflection acceptable, and would that tug in front of the nose gear count as obstruction?

Picture #2

What about this glare? Is it a problem if it's on the plane?

Picture #3

If the glare on #2 is a problem, is the same glare acceptable if it's not on the plane?

Picture #4

Is this stair car an obstruction, and what about the glare here? Is it minor enough?

Thanks so much in advance!
    For all photos: Glare is not acceptable

1: tug is acceptable, but the photo has other flaws
    2: Too dark
    3: Too dark
    4: the stairs are too distracting
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

All photos except the last are either unedited or edited in such a way to highlight the glares. This wasn't a question about exposure, contrast, etc. Thank you anyways. The Glare section in the guidelines doesn't go into much detail about how much glare/reflection is acceptable.

4.4 Glare/Dirt

Glare from the sun and reflections on windows are the main culprits here, avoiding sun glare through aircraft windows is almost impossible and we do not recommend that you upload photos taken from inside aircraft unless the sun is behind you. If you are shooting from behind glass never use a flash as your photo will be completely unsuitable for JetPhotos, other than that be sure that when you are framing your subject you check around it through the viewfinder and make sure there are no reflection on the glass which will result in a rejection if uploaded. Additionally, a photo taken thru a dirty aircraft window will also be rejected, if that dirt is too distracting.
      And I thought that maybe a small amount (especially like in the last image) was alright.

Comment

All photos except the last are either unedited or edited in such a way to highlight the glares. This wasn't a question about exposure, contrast, etc. Thank you anyways. The Glare section in the guidelines doesn't go into much detail about how much glare/reflection is acceptable.

And I thought that maybe a small amount (especially like in the last image) was alright.
        I don't get why you think, a small amount of glare would be acceptable. Anyway, it isn't.
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Just a quick question: Is this detail crop alright? Or would it be preferable if it didn't include the gear? Or does it not matter too much?

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Just a quick question: Is this detail crop alright? Or would it be preferable if it didn't include the gear? Or does it not matter too much?

Thank you in advance!
            This would almost certainly be rejected for Cut Off. It is neither tight enough to be considered a detailed view, nor wide enough to show the whole aircraft.

Comment

Should I crop this closer, i.e. just from cockpit to end of engine? Or do detail shots from the side need to be "cockpit shots"?

Can I get a detail view out of this by cropping closer, or should I just use use a full size shot which I also have?

Comment

Should I crop this closer, i.e. just from cockpit to end of engine? Or do detail shots from the side need to be "cockpit shots"?

Can I get a detail view out of this by cropping closer, or should I just use use a full size shot which I also have?
                A closer crop would definitely be needed, you'll just need to find the right balance.

Comment

I had a photo rejcted for vignetting that I don't really think has a vignette, it's just an artifact of the sky.

The full image without correction:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	LfPeTbD.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	1075927

The full image, corrected for vignette:

Name:	wWGbOh7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	1075928

The cropped image, corrected for vignette:

Name:	1dQtrbT.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	1075929

Another rejection reason was dust spots, which is fair. Do you think reuploading the dust spot free image without changes to vignette correction is safe, maybe with a comment to screeners? Or what else am I supposed to do?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I had a photo rejcted for vignetting that I don't really think has a vignette, it's just an artifact of the sky.
                    The vignetting is not an 'artifact of the sky', it is a result of your camera settings (this is obvious as all four corners appear dark in the same measure), and thus is a justifiable rejection reason.

Comment

Thank you for the answer! In the second image in my previous post, I applied the lens profile and all four corners of the image don't appear dark in the same way, but I tried to correct for that anyways. How's it lookin' now?

Comment

[I]Thank you for the answer! In the second image in my previous post, I applied the lens profile and all four corners of the image don't appear dark in the same way, but I tried to correct for that anyways. How's it lookin' now?
                        Vignetting shouldn't be an issue, but softness, underexposure, and dust spots would.

Comment

Looking for some prescreening on the following photos! Thank you in advance!

*removed for now*

Comment

Looking for some prescreening on the following photos! Thank you in advance!
                            Just for your information, I will no longer offer prescreening advice for your images, since you decided not to follow it when offered previously. You were free to do so of course, but I'm not going to waste time giving advice that's just going to be ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Just for your information, I will no longer offer prescreening advice for your images, since you decided not to follow it when offered previously. You were free to do so of course, but I'm not going to waste time giving advice that's just going to be ignored.
                              I am sorry you feel that way, please let me explain my point of view:

My first try on this image got rejected only for vignetting and dust spots, so I figured multiple people already reviewed it for the points you mentioned.

I absolutely understand your perspective though and what you said is quite fair, so I'm sorry! I'm new to this site (at least in terms of number of photos), and I'm not here to burn bridges, so I removed my previous prescreening request and gave the ultralight another go. Maybe you can give me another shot as well?

The source image doesn't give me much more room in terms of sharpness, since it's quite a small craft and the lens becomes the limiting factor.

I changed the crop and pulled up the darks, and tried to get it as sharp as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X