• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by mplace View Post
    Hi again!

The Landor Livery made a special visit today and I am hoping that this photo could be accepted into the queue.

I recently got a new computer. I went through my normal lightroom edit process and resized the photo in Photoshop like I usually have with my images on JP. I put this photo into the queue, and I noticed it didn't look as crisp as it did after I resized it to 1280px in Photoshop. Do you notice this too? If so, what is the usual way to resize a photo? Is there anything else wrong that you see with the photo? I appriciate your help.

***I DID TAKE THIS PHOTO DOWN FROM THE QUEUE TO HAVE THIS PRESCREENED

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25481[/ATTACH]
    Looks soft/blurry towards the tail.

Leave a comment:

• mplace
    replied
    Hi again!

The Landor Livery made a special visit today and I am hoping that this photo could be accepted into the queue.

I recently got a new computer. I went through my normal lightroom edit process and resized the photo in Photoshop like I usually have with my images on JP. I put this photo into the queue, and I noticed it didn't look as crisp as it did after I resized it to 1280px in Photoshop. Do you notice this too? If so, what is the usual way to resize a photo? Is there anything else wrong that you see with the photo? I appriciate your help.

***I DID TAKE THIS PHOTO DOWN FROM THE QUEUE TO HAVE THIS PRESCREENED

Click image for larger version

Name:	G_BNLY.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	1040094
    Last edited by mplace; 2019-06-14, 03:36. Reason: Extra question

Leave a comment:

• mplace
    replied
    Awesome! Great to hear that. Thank you again!

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi again!

I took this image on my way to KSNA a few weeks ago. The original photo was underexposed. I am wondering if this wing shot has any chance at a possible acceptance. I am worried if it is over-processed and if I applied too many edits while trying to brighten it. Thank you again for your help! [ATTACH=CONFIG]24194[/ATTACH]
    Quite noisy, but other than that the quality/processing looks acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• mplace
    replied
    Hi again!

I took this image on my way to KSNA a few weeks ago. The original photo was underexposed. I am wondering if this wing shot has any chance at a possible acceptance. I am worried if it is over-processed and if I applied too many edits while trying to brighten it. Thank you again for your help! Click image for larger version

Name:	WingShotPlace.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1034903

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    I actually did not have Active D-Lighting on that day while spotting. The first post on this thread from Aug. 2018 was the last time I used D-Lighting. I don’t really plan to spot with JPEG again but do you know what the problem was here with this photo?
    As has been pointed out, there are some editing halos visible. If not from D-Lighting, then at some other point they must have been added, as they are not a natural phenomenon.

Leave a comment:

• mplace
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Unfortunately halos can't be removed from a jpeg. If they're there in the original, there's nothing you can do it about it. I assume you had the D-Lighting feature in your D3400 turned on?
    I actually did not have Active D-Lighting on that day while spotting. The first post on this thread from Aug. 2018 was the last time I used D-Lighting. I don’t really plan to spot with JPEG again but do you know what the problem was here with this photo?

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi JP community,

Earlier this year I submitted this photo of one of United's 787-10's in Denver. It was rejected for it being "Over-processed". This photo was taken before I started getting into shooting RAW. While editing this file in LR, I made sure I was not moving the shadow and highlight sliders. Is there anything else I can do to recover this photo? I understand if this cannot be saved for JP standards, just thought it would be cool to get the first photo of the aircraft in Denver. Thank you for your help and advice as always!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22736[/ATTACH]
    Unfortunately halos can't be removed from a jpeg. If they're there in the original, there's nothing you can do it about it. I assume you had the D-Lighting feature in your D3400 turned on?

Leave a comment:

• mplace
    replied
    Hi JP community,

Earlier this year I submitted this photo of one of United's 787-10's in Denver. It was rejected for it being "Over-processed". This photo was taken before I started getting into shooting RAW. While editing this file in LR, I made sure I was not moving the shadow and highlight sliders. Is there anything else I can do to recover this photo? I understand if this cannot be saved for JP standards, just thought it would be cool to get the first photo of the aircraft in Denver. Thank you for your help and advice as always!

Name:	N17002.jpg
Size:	600.6 KB
ID:	1033727

Leave a comment:

• mplace
    replied
    Awesome! Thank you so much for checking them out for me.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi again,

I hope I am replying to the correct thread for editing/pre-screening advice.

I am curious if these images would be accepted. I'm worried that they will be declined for compression. If they are, how can I fix this? I uploaded the original RAW files into LR and exported copies of them at a resolution of 300ppi. I opened the exported copies in photoshop and resized them by playing with the resolution until the long side was at 1280px long. I then save the photos at 12 quality. Is there a different way I should be resizing them? How do I resize the correct way?

1. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22520[/ATTACH]

2. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22521[/ATTACH]

3. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22522[/ATTACH]

Thank you for you help! Have a good day!
    I don't see compression being an issue. Maybe a touch soft in places, but they would be ok for me.

Leave a comment:

• mplace
    replied
    Hi again,

I hope I am replying to the correct thread for editing/pre-screening advice.

I am curious if these images would be accepted. I'm worried that they will be declined for compression. If they are, how can I fix this? I uploaded the original RAW files into LR and exported copies of them at a resolution of 300ppi. I opened the exported copies in photoshop and resized them by playing with the resolution until the long side was at 1280px long. I then save the photos at 12 quality. Is there a different way I should be resizing them? How do I resize the correct way?

1. Click image for larger version

Name:	N621VA.jpg
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	1033539

2. Click image for larger version

Name:	N26909.jpg
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	1033540

3. Click image for larger version

Name:	N920DN.jpg
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	1033541

Thank you for you help! Have a good day!

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hello,
    I photographed this 747-8i in RAW and JPEG formats. The attached file is a RAW edit I made in Lightroom and sized down to 1280x720px in Photoshop.
    This would be rejected for contrast (editing halos), overprocessed, dirty, and possibly soft. The latter issues may be correctable, the former maybe not due to the apparent lack of direct light.

In the future please keep all editing questions/requests to one thread.

Leave a comment:

• mplace
    replied
    mplace - Screening and Editing Advice

Hello,
    I photographed this 747-8i in RAW and JPEG formats. The attached file is a RAW edit I made in Lightroom and sized down to 1280x720px in Photoshop. In Lightroom, I didn't toggle with any of the highlight or shadow sliders. I check marked the two options for lens corrections. My sharpening settings were 48 amount, 1.3 radius, 39 detail, 30 luminance.

Is this worthy by JP standards? If not, can it be corrected and how so? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have a good day!

Name:	D-ABYAmplace.jpg
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	1033178

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    I figured out how to upload NEF files into LR. I spent yesterday trying to spot with jpg and NEF files. There were a couple things I noticed:

1.) When I uploaded my photos, I noticed that the sky on the NEF files was extremely different compared to my jpg files. The jpg files are what the sky looked like yesterday.
    How do I go about fixing this? I don't want to adjust the blue hue in the photo too much but I want to make the sky look the way it did when I took my photo.
    Will screeners take this into account?

2.) There are also aqua and magenta outlines that can be seen over the portions of the aircraft. What does this mean and should I correct this? How do I correct this?

3.) The NEF files have an automatic sharpening setting of 40 amount unlike jpg. where they have 0 amount. Should I leave this alone or what should I do?

Here is an example of a photo I took in Jpg. and NEF yesterday:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21877[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21878[/ATTACH]
    The jpeg has simply had WB and lens correction adjustments applied in camera. With the NEF file you will need to make such adjustments manually when converting to jpeg. What should you do? Adjust the images however you see fit. Much steeper learning curve if you're not relying on the camera to do everything for you, but imho much better in the long run as you'll eventually be able to make such decisions and compensate for other variables on your own.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X