Size:	621.5 KB
ID:	1102660 Hi screeners!

I'd love some prescreening on these images as I'm unsure about them:

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Long View Post
    Hi screeners!

I'd love some pre-screening advice on these images. I've been wanting to get a few more shots from my home airport up on the DB..

Cheers,
    Ben Long

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC8539.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	759.6 KB
ID:	1102099Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9087.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	1102100Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0520.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	1102101Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0495.jpg
Size:	576.2 KB
ID:	1102102Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9257.jpg
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	1102103
    Quality looks ok to me on all of them.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Long
    replied
    Hi screeners!

I'd love some pre-screening advice on these images. I've been wanting to get a few more shots from my home airport up on the DB..

Cheers,
    Ben Long

Name:	_DSC8539.jpg
Size:	759.6 KB
ID:	1102099Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9087.jpg
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	1102100Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0520.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	1102101Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0495.jpg
Size:	576.2 KB
ID:	1102102Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9257.jpg
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	1102103

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi screeners,

I'm not entirely sure where exactly to post this so I'll just post it here.
    This image: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=8538518 got rejected recently for bad color and contrast, with the screener commenting that there was too much contrast.
    If you scroll up you'll find that I pre-screened this image a while ago and the only recommendation was to crop the image tighter. I'm not blaming dlowwa for any problems with this rejection, by the way.
    My first upload was rejected for being too dark, so I added some more whites to push the histogram over to the right a bit and re-uploaded, no other changes. I left a comment for the screener about this, too.

The problem for me is the fact that as this is a night shot, there will naturally be very high contrast, as there is a very dark, black, night background with bright lights illuminating the aircraft strongly.

Furthermore, I don't see any colour problems. I adjusted the white balance so that the orange lights were corrected.

You can't just increase the exposure of a night shot so that the histogram is more central, you will either end up with an extreme amount of noise and/or blown out whites regardless. If we look at some of my accepted night shots, like this one: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9879253 and this one: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9830311 you'll see that there's a very high amount of contrast because, naturally, there is an aircraft being illuminated by bright lights with a dark night-time background.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you guys think about this.

Regards,
    Ben Long
    No need to (not) assign blame; your comments/question focused on the centering/cropping, and that's what I commented on. If you were asking for comments on all aspects of the image, my fault for not realizing that, but it wasn't exactly clear that was your intention.

The contrast is indeed too harsh, and the white balance too cool (also a bit soft for me). Both issues might be fixable.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Long
    replied
    Hi screeners,

I'm not entirely sure where exactly to post this so I'll just post it here.
    This image: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=8538518 got rejected recently for bad color and contrast, with the screener commenting that there was too much contrast.
    If you scroll up you'll find that I pre-screened this image a while ago and the only recommendation was to crop the image tighter. I'm not blaming dlowwa for any problems with this rejection, by the way.
    My first upload was rejected for being too dark, so I added some more whites to push the histogram over to the right a bit and re-uploaded, no other changes. I left a comment for the screener about this, too.

The problem for me is the fact that as this is a night shot, there will naturally be very high contrast, as there is a very dark, black, night background with bright lights illuminating the aircraft strongly.

Furthermore, I don't see any colour problems. I adjusted the white balance so that the orange lights were corrected.

You can't just increase the exposure of a night shot so that the histogram is more central, you will either end up with an extreme amount of noise and/or blown out whites regardless. If we look at some of my accepted night shots, like this one: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9879253 and this one: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9830311 you'll see that there's a very high amount of contrast because, naturally, there is an aircraft being illuminated by bright lights with a dark night-time background.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you guys think about this.

Regards,
    Ben Long

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi guys,
    I'm not necessarily planning on uploading this image to the DB however I was editing some of my shots from today and found that the verticals on this image were rather interesting to correct. Some of the verticals on the shipping container indicate that the image is level, however others indicate a unlevel image. The fence, of course, is crooked, and the light pole itself seems to be level but bending inwards towards the top and is having to be supported at the base, indicating that it may be crooked. From memory, a few of the light poles in the GA precinct at my local airport are like this. The gate verticals on the far left of the image also indicate that the image is slightly unlevel.

Low story short, I was wondering on your take on whether this image is level or not, and if not which way do you recommend I should rotate it and align with which vertical.

Thanks in advance,
    Ben.Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9286.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1099834
    Pretty close to acceptable (for me anyway), though I might give it just a touch of CW.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Long
    replied
    Hi guys,
    I'm not necessarily planning on uploading this image to the DB however I was editing some of my shots from today and found that the verticals on this image were rather interesting to correct. Some of the verticals on the shipping container indicate that the image is level, however others indicate a unlevel image. The fence, of course, is crooked, and the light pole itself seems to be level but bending inwards towards the top and is having to be supported at the base, indicating that it may be crooked. From memory, a few of the light poles in the GA precinct at my local airport are like this. The gate verticals on the far left of the image also indicate that the image is slightly unlevel.

Low story short, I was wondering on your take on whether this image is level or not, and if not which way do you recommend I should rotate it and align with which vertical.

Thanks in advance,
    Ben.Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9286.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1099834

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi screeners,

I'd love some prescreening on this night shot that I took. For the record, I have framed the aircraft so that there is equal spacing between the left and right edge of the image and the right horizontal stabiliser and aircraft nose respectively. I tried to frame it so that the fwd and aft fuselage had equal spacing, however the image looked really awkward..

Thanks for your help!

Name:	_DSC7712.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	697.7 KB
ID:	1099292
    Probably better cropping it a bit tighter on the left and right.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Long
    replied
    Hi screeners,

I'd love some prescreening on this night shot that I took. For the record, I have framed the aircraft so that there is equal spacing between the left and right edge of the image and the right horizontal stabiliser and aircraft nose respectively. I tried to frame it so that the fwd and aft fuselage had equal spacing, however the image looked really awkward..

Thanks for your help!

Name:	_DSC7712.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	697.7 KB
ID:	1099292

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Hi dlowwa,

Thanks for your response. I've done some re-edits and would love to see what you think.

With the fighter jet image, there was very high contrast because the jet was flying in front of a very bright part of the sky, and therefore the jet was a silhouette, so I'm not sure which part is too dark given that the background is so bright. I'd love to know what particular problems with contrast and exposure you believe exist.
    Also with the Caravan image, I have changed the image to 16:10 so that the aft fuselage and right wingtip have equal space between the frame on each respective side. I'm not really interested in the left horizontal stabilizer, and think it is best cut off since I think the shot is designed to show the sun peaking over the right wing.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks for your help! Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1607.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	1099017Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5719.jpg
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	1099016

Name:	_DSC8580.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	1099015
    1. borderline, but maybe acceptable
    2. still probably dark/contrast, but someone might find it acceptable
    3. cut off/centering. Upper-right of frame mostly blown out sky.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Long
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

1. borderline too far/dark/contrast
    2. dark/contrast
    3. cut off/centering
    Hi dlowwa,

Thanks for your response. I've done some re-edits and would love to see what you think.

With the fighter jet image, there was very high contrast because the jet was flying in front of a very bright part of the sky, and therefore the jet was a silhouette, so I'm not sure which part is too dark given that the background is so bright. I'd love to know what particular problems with contrast and exposure you believe exist.
    Also with the Caravan image, I have changed the image to 16:10 so that the aft fuselage and right wingtip have equal space between the frame on each respective side. I'm not really interested in the left horizontal stabilizer, and think it is best cut off since I think the shot is designed to show the sun peaking over the right wing.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks for your help! Click image for larger version

Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	1099017Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5719.jpg
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	1099016

Name:	_DSC8580.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	1099015

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Views:	28
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	1098986Click image for larger version Name:	_DSC5719.jpg Views:	0 Size:	319.6 KB ID:	1098983Click image for larger version Name:	_DSC8580.jpg Views:	0 Size:	498.4 KB ID:	1098985 Hi screeners,

I've got a few artistic/creative shots that I love the look of and I just want to know whether or not they are uploadable.

Cheers,
    Ben Long
    1. borderline too far/dark/contrast
    2. dark/contrast
    3. cut off/centering

Leave a comment:

• Ben Long
    replied

Views:	28
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	1098986Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC5719.jpg Views:	0 Size:	319.6 KB ID:	1098983Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC8580.jpg Views:	0 Size:	498.4 KB ID:	1098985 Hi screeners,

I've got a few artistic/creative shots that I love the look of and I just want to know whether or not they are uploadable.

Cheers,
    Ben Long

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi screeners,

I'd love some prescreening on these images.

Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC3462.jpg
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1098512

Name:	_DSC3541.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1098508Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC3376.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1098509Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC3442.jpg
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1098510Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC3591.jpg
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1098511
    Maybe a touch soft on a few of them but otherwise ok for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X