X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marc1201
    replied
    Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    That's where the problem is then. Auto "improvement" in Adobe Camera Raw automatically uses shadow/highlight which introduces the haloes. Either adjust the image manually or, if you still want to use the automatic function then manually set the Shadow and Highlight values to zero after using the auto function.

I'll say this quietly so that the other screeners don't hear me but...that's what I often do. Naughty aren't I ? What is the world coming to, a senior screener using an auto function !!! ?

To be serious though, despite using the auto function I still fine tune it manually.
    But if i understand this correctly, you are working the exact same way as i do, use the autocorrect and if necessary fine tune..How do you avoid the halo's then? If i set the shadows and highlights to zero, the fuselage looks way too bright without any detail in it.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Originally posted by marc1201 View Post
    In camera raw, most of the time i click on the automatic "improvement" button which in most cases gives me a pretty decent result. If i'm not happy with it, i'll adjust brightness or highlights a little more. I tend to slide the highligts slider almost complete to the left, because otherwise the fuselage is much too bright,but i think when i slide the highlights down, that i create halo's as well, i'm not sure.
    That's where the problem is then. Auto "improvement" in Adobe Camera Raw automatically uses shadow/highlight which introduces the haloes. Either adjust the image manually or, if you still want to use the automatic function then manually set the Shadow and Highlight values to zero after using the auto function.

I'll say this quietly so that the other screeners don't hear me but...that's what I often do. Naughty aren't I ? What is the world coming to, a senior screener using an auto function !!! ?

To be serious though, despite using the auto function I still fine tune it manually.
    Last edited by brianw999; 2018-05-18, 09:39.

Leave a comment:

• marc1201
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Ok, that's a good first step. As I said, if the d-lighting is not a factor, it's almost certainly something you're doing when you're processing the image. Maybe you can list each step you do (i.e. each adjustment)? The most likely culprits are anything that adjust the brightness/shadows in specific regions only (like the aforementioned clarity or shadow/highlight tools).
    In camera raw, most of the time i click on the automatic "improvement" button which in most cases gives me a pretty decent result. If i'm not happy with it, i'll adjust brightness or highlights a little more. I tend to slide the highligts slider almost complete to the left, because otherwise the fuselage is much too bright,but i think when i slide the highlights down, that i create halo's as well, i'm not sure.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    I want to learn for sure, but then i also need to know the possible causes. Otherwise i can't find a solution.
    Ok, that's a good first step. As I said, if the d-lighting is not a factor, it's almost certainly something you're doing when you're processing the image. Maybe you can list each step you do (i.e. each adjustment)? The most likely culprits are anything that adjust the brightness/shadows in specific regions only (like the aforementioned clarity or shadow/highlight tools).

Leave a comment:

• marc1201
    replied
    Honestly, with that attitude I'm not sure how much help you're going to be able to get here. Like many other things in life, you will find you get out of it what you put in. If you bring a positive attitude wanting to learn, you will benefit from the advice in the forum. If not, you probably won't get much out of it.

If you've eliminated the d-lighting as a possible culprit, then something else in your workflow is causing the halos. Commons editing features in PS that cause them are the clarity and shadow/highlight tools. If you process the raw image again with all settings to zero, I'm sure the halos will no longer be present. You just need to figure out which of the steps in your workflow is introducing them, then eliminate that step.
    I want to learn for sure, but then i also need to know the possible causes. Otherwise i can't find a solution.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Well i checked my camera and D lighting is off..so what next? Throw away my camera and buy a new one?
    Honestly, with that attitude I'm not sure how much help you're going to be able to get here. Like many other things in life, you will find you get out of it what you put in. If you bring a positive attitude wanting to learn, you will benefit from the advice in the forum. If not, you probably won't get much out of it.

If you've eliminated the d-lighting as a possible culprit, then something else in your workflow is causing the halos. Commons editing features in PS that cause them are the clarity and shadow/highlight tools. If you process the raw image again with all settings to zero, I'm sure the halos will no longer be present. You just need to figure out which of the steps in your workflow is introducing them, then eliminate that step.

Leave a comment:

• marc1201
    replied
    Well i checked my camera and D lighting is off..so what next? Throw away my camera and buy a new one?

Leave a comment:

• marc1201
    replied
    Well, i don't see it, otherwise i knew i didn't had to upload it..

Leave a comment:

• Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    We only use the equalise tool to confirm what we see on the original picture.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Thanks for the tip, but as far as i know D-lighting is already off. How can you avoid this.
    And another question maybe..I understand that you equalize the picture to check for dust, but why is this so important regarding the halo's? In the normal picture it's not or hardly visible, also for some dust spots sometimes.(appears only when equalized)
    If it's not visible in the normal picture, why bother?
    We don't. The halos are visible in the normal picture.

Leave a comment:

• marc1201
    replied
    From the other thread:

Try some shots with the D-lighting off. If the halos are still present, then it's something else you are doing in post-processing. If not, then problem solved
    Thanks for the tip, but as far as i know D-lighting is already off. How can you avoid this.
    And another question maybe..I understand that you equalize the picture to check for dust, but why is this so important regarding the halo's? In the normal picture it's not or hardly visible, also for some dust spots sometimes.(appears only when equalized)
    If it's not visible in the normal picture, why bother?

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi guy's

I need some help regarding 4 pictures that has been rejected. I don't understand very well what's wrong with it.
    Some advice is highly appreciated.

Ok this can be a little soft, but had similar that was accepted. The comment i got is totally wrong here, i never, and i mean never undersharp pictures! Why would you do that?

Again, bad processing/undersharpened.

Visible editing halo's..if it's meant around the wheels..again, didn't touch that area.

Same as above

What is meant here by over processed/bad postprocessing??

Help wanted

Marc
    From the other thread:

As for your recent rejections, there are some easily noticeable editing halos around the aircraft.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Quite obvious on that one especially. Given you use a Nikon DSLR, my first suggestion would be to turn off the 'D-lighting' feature, as that is notorious for causing such halos. As for the sharpening, your images just need a little more to make then suitable.
    Try some shots with the D-lighting off. If the halos are still present, then it's something else you are doing in post-processing. If not, then problem solved

Leave a comment:

• vcruvinel
    replied
    Hi guy's

I need some help regarding 4 pictures that has been rejected. I don't understand very well what's wrong with it.

Ok this can be a little soft, but had similar that was accepted. The comment i got is totally wrong here, i never, and i mean never undersharp pictures! Why would you do that?

Visible editing halo's..if it's meant around the wheels..again, didn't touch that area.

Same as above

Help wanted

Marc
    Go to the rejected photo and go to "Check for Dust" button. When you open the new window with the equalized photo, you will see halos around the aircraft and because of this you got the over processed/bad post processing rejection.

When you change too much the shadows, clarity, highlights editing halos will appear like you see in your images. Also if you use Nikon, turn off the D-lightning function (only Nikon) as this function can produce halos in the photos too.

Regards,

Vinicius

Leave a comment:

• marc1201
    started a topic marc1201 - editing/screening advice

marc1201 - editing/screening advice

Hi guy's

Same as above

Help wanted

Marc
Working...
X