Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sharpen a photo.

Hello All
    Can someone please explain if there is a better way to sharpen a photo in Photoshop Elements 2 (the one you get with a Canon 10D) rather than the Quick Fix method of using the Auto Focus,which i use as well as the Colour correction..

Thanks a lot.
    Ian
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=2633

Not sure why everyone didn't jump in with the patented "USM" answer, but yes, there are many ways to sharpen. I would visit any of the photo web sites and read, read, read. Don't use "auto" anything. And USM is NOT the only way to go.

Comment

What are you talking about Jeff....USM fixes everything...

-Clovis

Comment

If you say so...
        ....I don't hardly ever use it.

Comment

USM? :S

EDIT: Ah... UnSharp Mask?

I usualy create an mask from one of the CMYK channels and create a alpha channel from it and then color correct and sharpen that mask with adjusting the CMYK curves and USM.

Any better tricks? A nice step by step would be nice instead of "read, read, read".

-XiP
          Profile | AVIATION-PHOTOGRAPHY.nl

Comment

That seems like a lot of work just to sharpen an image. I would make an action out of that if that is the way you prefer to sharpen.

Comment

.2 200% 2 is fine for me...

-Clovis (That was a joke Jeff)

Comment

Dear All
                Could someone explain to me what USM is and how you use it in Photoshop 2.

Thanks
                Ian
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=2633

Comment

It has been so long since I used Photoshop2. Best bet is to just look it up in the book that came with that version.

Comment

This is what I do for sharpening: After doing some other editing if necessery, I resize it from 2048x1536 (the max I can get with my 3 MP camera) to 1024x768, and than use the USM feature in photoshop. Most likely with a very small radius and threshold. But I use different settings for every picture. Thanks to Neat Image, (only use it for a week now), sharpening now comes with much less increase of noise. This makes the job much more easy :P
                    Such a cool program
                    GreenBaron

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3825

Comment

I just got Photoshop 7 yesterday, and I was going to ask the same question about sharpening images. Is it the same process as photoshop 2?
                      -Ralph Duenas

Knowledge & Power Overcome Superstition And Luck.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by ian172
                        Dear All
                        Could someone explain to me what USM is and how you use it in Photoshop 2.

Thanks
                        Ian
                        USM = Unsharp Mask. You can fond it under tools/sharpen/unsharp mask

With an oversize image I use the usm to sharpen 200% at .6 pixels. Then I resize it to the size I want. I then use USM again to sharpen 500% at .2 pixels. It usually works great. That advice was shared with me by someone at photosig.com
                        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Not sure why everyone needs to go so high on the percentages, I seldom if ever go above 75%/.2/0. Maybe, if needed, a second pass.

There is also a great "HELP" function in Photoshop...

Comment

Working...
                          X