Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which of these images do you think is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cja
    replied
    spiffae wrote;

Like i said, i'm not sure if you can isolate and mask areas in photoshop elements
    It looks as though you can do this. I will experiment with it to see what can be done.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Spiffae
    replied
    Like i said, i'm not sure if you can isolate and mask areas in photoshop elements. it's worth trying though. You might be able to make a selection, feather it, and then apply levels or curves (they do similar things).

Leave a comment:

• cja
    replied
    Thanks Guys and Sorry it’s taken a few days to reply to your comments and suggestions, I have been up to Scotland for Hogmanay (new years).

I think I have to agree with all of you, my instinct was that the second is over processed as Jeff says. The colours look more vivid but are a perhaps a bit over the top as is the sharpening. This was taken on winters day when the Sun never gets that high and so light was a bit of a problem preventing from getting the best focal length for the shot.

Thanks to Spiffae for your ideas, I am not sure if Elements has a curve tool and so I will have to have a more detailed look as soon as I get time. I also didn’t realise that its possible to isolate certain areas of a picture to manipulate the colours etc. but I have to say that, if you go to Manchester at this time of year you will find the grass ain't quite so green!!!

Leave a comment:

• Spiffae
    replied
    don't really know much about Photoshop Elements, but I am a professional retoucher for a living, so i did a little work on your image. Not sure if you can do the same thing in Elements, as I am using PS 8.0

I did a levels adjustment on the grass in the foreground to give it a bit more definition. I then used curves to darken both the grass and the sky to make the plane "jump" out of the picture a bit more, and to more closely reflect the way a clear sky and a field of grass look to the naked eye (cameras can fool you). I corrected a greenish tone that was throughout the image, most notably in the sky. I enhanced the saturation a bit on the plane itself, emphasizing the livery. Just for laughs, I made the grass green... that is an optional step.

i didn't do any sharpening. First of all, you've got a lot of grain that would become pretty abrasive, and also, it looks like whatever camera you use puts a pretty nice unsharp mask on the image right when it saves the file. You're not going to get any sharper than you've already got.

what do you think?

Leave a comment:

• FlyingPhotog
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffinDEN
    Don't use "auto" anything.
    I second that.

Leave a comment:

• JeffinDEN
    replied
    I prefer the first (original) to the second one. It looks fake and is way overprocessed.

Don't use "auto" anything.

Leave a comment:

• SWA733Captain
    replied
    Number 1 is definately better. In both of them the white is quite washed out but it's much worse in the second one. It also looks like you used a bit too much USM in the second one.

Leave a comment:

• cja
    started a topic which of these images do you think is better?

which of these images do you think is better?

As Santa was good enough to drop Adobe Photoshop Elements down the Chimney last Thusday morning, I have been looking at some of my older shots for which I used Corel Photo House 5 and trying to rework them in Adobe.

I have used auto levels and unsharp mask to change this:

[photoid=195241]

to this:

Which would the screeners prefer and how might you improve it?
    Yes there are a couple of spots and a dark blue shade 3/4 the way up the page, however for the purpose of this post I am more interested in colour levels and contrast etc.

Thanks
Working...
X