Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of my contrail shots are very dark,the sky almost looks like night time in them. I set the exposure compensation to +2 But the sky still looked dark,the plane was actually a little over exposed though.Any tips for this?
    Dark blue skies are perfectly normal for contrail shots. That's not necessarily a sign for underexposure. You have to get the plane & her contrails right. What metering mode do you normally use? I always rely on evaluative metering with exposure compensation of -1, sometimes even more. It could be my screen, but the Song doesn't look too bad to me.

Shooting contrails in RAW makes post-processing easier ... this way you can adjust exposure (a bit) without losing too much quality.

I agree with the bad contrast
    So do I. It looks flat & also needs to be sharpened.

As for the cropping, I agree with Greg & AJ.

Should the photo be rotated so the contrail appears to be level?
    The contrails don't have to be level.
    [photoid=228486]
    [photoid=228484]
    Play around with the crop while you're shooting or during post-processing. I like variation.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing more contrails from Maryland.

Thomas

Comment

Thank you for you're help Thomas.

Scott
      "It's better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, then to open it and remove all
      doubt."

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Have a question about Photo Editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.), improving your photos, etc.? Our crew of Photo Screeners is here to help you out!
        Right there in the description of the forum. He asked a question about improving his pics.

Is it really our job to teach you everything about basic photography?
        Public Library->Photography->Checkout->read.

-Clovis
        Got to love how a mod in this forum said that. Most books in the library don't talk about contrail shots.

-Greg

Comment

It's not a stupid question, but I feel like I am expected to answer "Just Cause" EXPOSURE is pretty much THE basic thing to learn about photography. Photography is all about light, and untill you understand light, exposure et all...you will be hard pressed to begin taking quality photographs, albeit by accident in "Auto" mode. What you have come accross here is a type of photo for which "AUTO" just won't cut it. The metering system will either over-expose the plane, or under-expose the sky untill you figure out what type of metering mode you should use. This is stuff you could learn through reading just the first few pages of any book on photography.
          I enjoy giving tips and helping people, but if you refuse to learn the basics first, I can't help you.

-Clovis

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
            I enjoy giving tips and helping people, but if you refuse to learn the basics first, I can't help you.
            What better place to learn about aviation photography then on these forums?I have been using a point and shoot camera for 2 years and only recently moved up to a DSLR.So,for 2 years I did use the "P" mode.But now I'm using the "TV"mode and when the photos don't come out right,I come here to the people that know and ask for some help.I'll learn through trial and error.All I ask for is a point in the right direction.

Scott
            "It's better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, then to open it and remove all
            doubt."

Comment

This is the Digital Photo Processing forum... not the "Learn all about photography here" forum. We give tips and help on improving post-processing (i.e. AFTER the photo was taken). We're glad to give some photo taking tips aswell, but the main focus here is editing, and how to use editing software to your advantage.

Like I said, if you want me to give you Photography 1-2, pay me

-Clovis

Comment

What are the hours for Photography 101 Clovis?

I might want to sign up.... Scott and Mike say I need this class bad :P

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaASA16
                  What are the hours for Photography 101 Clovis?

I might want to sign up.... Scott and Mike say I need this class bad :P

Adam
                  Eh, I took a photography class here at UND and didn't learn a damn thing. All he did was have us take pictures, get them developed as slides and show them to the class, no critique, no books, no nothing. What a waste of time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by BWI Scott
                    for 2 years I did use the "P" mode.But now I'm using the "TV"mode ..
                    still "point and shoot" mode.... when you can shoot in full manual, exposure and focus, then your doing something.....

Comment

So you're better then me....big deal.I'm sure you have years more experience then I do too.

Stop beating a dead horse..this post is over.

Until the next stupid f'kin question I ask anyway.

Scott
                      doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                        Photography is all about light, and untill you understand light, exposure et all...you will be hard pressed to begin taking quality photographs, albeit by accident in "Auto" mode. What you have come accross here is a type of photo for which "AUTO" just won't cut it. The metering system will either over-expose the plane, or under-expose the sky untill you figure out what type of metering mode you should use.
                        That's all you had to say. It didn't need to be bracketed with:

"This is stuff you could learn through reading just the first few pages of any book on photography."

"This is the Digital Photo Processing forum... not the "Learn all about photography here" forum."

"Is it really our job to teach you everything about basic photography?
                        Public Library->Photography->Checkout->read."

While EXPOSURE may be a simple thing for you, it may not be for others, and others may be able to help.

And, it may not be "your job" to teach anything. But, the question begs; why exactly are you a moderator if your going to kick people in the b@lls when they ask a question? I would figure that a moderator does just that...moderates...and prevents others from the same. Your "job" is to mentor people, not belittle them. If they guy is asking the question in the wrong forum, just say so, and point him in the right direction.

The same goes for you JeffinDEN:

"still "point and shoot" mode.... when you can shoot in full manual, exposure and focus, then your doing something..... "

So what if you can do it all....manually. Pardon me for not falling out of my chair in awe of your photographic expertise. I bet you didn't start that way. I'll bet you shot in FULL AUTO at some point in time too, and asked the same "stupid f*king question".

I'm a newb here to this forum, so take it for what it is worth.

It's as simple as Scott said; "It's better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, then to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

hawkeyeted, beautiful! :P
                          Will F.
                          Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeyeted
                            The same goes for you JeffinDEN:

"still "point and shoot" mode.... when you can shoot in full manual, exposure and focus, then your doing something..... "

So what if you can do it all....manually. Pardon me for not falling out of my chair in awe of your photographic expertise. I bet you didn't start that way. I'll bet you shot in FULL AUTO at some point in time too, and asked the same "stupid f*king question".

I'm a newb here to this forum, so take it for what it is worth.
                            Ted, blow it out your ass. O.k.? Now that I have that out of the way...

No, 23 years ago, I learned photography manually. No autofocus, auto exposure, digital crap. It is like Clovis said, this isn't photography 101. And I think he made that perfectly clear, and is dead on with that assesment.

welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN

Ted, blow it out your ass. O.k.? Now that I have that out of the way...

Classic.... hawkeyeted gets slammed ..

Comment

What I don't get is, if you don't want to help someone, why do you need to reply, tell them they are stupid and make them feel bad? Why not just ignore the 'dumb' question and let someone who's willing to answer, answer?
                                Will F.
                                Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Working...
                                X