JumpSeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JumpSeat

Hey guys, i've seen many pictures on a.net and here, of jumpseat pics on Virgin Blue and Qantas etc. Just wondering if anyone who has been lucky and flown jumpseat on any airline how they went about it?
    Do you first have to get approval from the flight operations manager????

Any info would be great, cheers guys.

777-300ER
    747 -> 777

"One small step for man. - > One giant leap for aviation."

At AC the only people allowed in the jumpseat now are Flt Ops in uniform, Transport Canada Inspectors and Flt Disptachers on their check rides. Transport Canada does not allow anyone else in the cockpit.

I had a job as a loadmaster on the DC8 freighters and I sat behind the Captain. It was an excellent job and I never got tired of sitting there.

Comment

The answer from the pilot...

when I asked to sit in the jumpseat of a flight in a not so serious tone, he replied saying, "you got a physical and current cert?" Anyway, for flights originating in the US of A, you probably need to be a certified pilot and probably an employee of the airline operating the flight to ride jumpseat nowadays. Other countries probably have different/more relaxed rules regarding cockpit visits during flight and such. I've read a few stories of people who got to ride jump seat, while landing into LHR at night and other "treats". Also, I met someone on a flight who flew on a private flight within the US and he was allowed to ride jumpseat on a 737. There was also a recent bruhaha over how Air Tahiti Nui kept its cockpit doors open throughout most of its flights coming into the US, and closing the doors when theres only 30 minutes left in the flight. There was 2 guys who got video of it, and it showed how they visited the cockpit, and the door was open during the flight.

I will be uploading pics of a 777-200 jumpseat soon, got a pic of the cockpit and jumpseat after landing, and the pilot was already out of the cockpit and ready to leave before even the doors opened. I introduced myself, holding my camera, and asked if I could take pics in the cockpit, he said, sure, so I did. Spoke with the copilot, who had a slight German accent. Talked about planes a little, and long haul routes. He mentioned he even flew a 742 into the desert in the 90's. Its really cool when you meet nice pilots

Comment

I hvae been on jumpsetas on:

Qantas B747-400, -400ER -300 -200 737-300, -400
        Ansett BAe 146-200 767-200
        Virgin Blue B737-700 (CRAP!)
        RAAF BBJ (Excellent
        Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

Ansett, how were you able to do that? Last time i asked for jumpseat on virgin flight i was denied with a big fat NO! Same with Qantas?

How do you get the jumpseat?
          747 -> 777

"One small step for man. - > One giant leap for aviation."

Comment

My only jump seat flight was in a Lapa 737-700 from Aeroparque to Mendoza

originally the flight was schedulle to be in a 737-200, but there was a delay due to "technical reasons" so we have to wait at AEP for almos 5 hours, in the meantime I run with a friend of mine who is a Pilot of a little Aerotaxi service, and he called a friend of his that was a Pilot in Lapa.

Well this guy told him that he was called in a hurry to fly the 737-700 to replace the originall 200 for this flight so we met with him at AEP and he ask me to go in the jump seat, that was great, and also one of the last flights of that aircraft in Argentina, that was the last 737-700 in Lapa's fleet and it was returned just 7 days later.
            Film & Aviation, can't live without them

Comment

If you mean real rides, from start to arrival, duly accomodated just right after boarding an AIRLINER, let's fly (instead of go...)
              -1970 - Air Cameroun / DC.4 / YDE(Yaoundé)-NGE(N'Gaoundéré)
              -1972 - Air Afrique / DC.8-53 / TU-TCB / DLA-LFW-ABJ, both legs
              -1974 - Cameroon Airlines / 707-3H7C /TJ-CAA/ DLA-FCO
              -1975 - Cameroon Airlines / 737-2H7C /TJ-CBA/ NGE-YDE
              -1980 - UTA / DC.10-30 / F-BTDD / BZV-NCE
              -1982 - Point Air / 707-321B / F-BSGT / CDG-LYS, ferry&positionning
              -1988 - TAT / Fairchild FH227B / LaRochelle-Orly
              -1990 - AeroFrance / Caravelle 10B3 / FSC-ORY & ORY-FSC 3 days later
              -1990 - British Independant / HS-748 / Lydd-BVA (Beauvais)
              -1992 - Aeroflot / AN.2 / Myashkovo-Myashkovo, joy ride
              -1993 - AeroCaribe /Fairchild F.27A / CZL-CUN
              -1993 - Euralair / 737-222 /ZAZ(Zarragoza)-MAD part of a ORY-ZAZ-MAD
              -1993 - Meridiana / MD.83 / I-SMES / OLB-CAG-PSA, both sectors
              -1993 - Air Toulouse / Caravelle 10B3 / BVA-BVA 45 mnts joy ride
              -1994 - Air Jet / Bae 146-200QT / F-GLNI / Troyes-LeBourget
              -1994 - Air Provence / Gulstream 1 /MRS-LBG
              -1995 - Air Dakota (Belgium) /DC.3(C.53)/Ostend-Ostend
              Think I am over
              Otherwise, visits on board while on cruise level and pretty regularely culminating with staying on jumpseat until arrival at gate and altogether see the landing, those one underlined.
              Air France 707 / 727 / 732 / 741
              Air Charter 727-214
              Aeromexico DC.10-30
              EAS Vickers Vanguard
              BAF Vickers Viscount
              Air Evasion DC.8-73
              Air Provence Caravelle 12
              UTA DC.8-33 / 62
              Air Littoral EMB110 / ATR42 / Fokker 100
              Tarom IL62M / 707
              Swissair DC.9-32
              Aviaco DC.9-32
              Air Inter Mercure / A.300B / A.320
              Sabena 707 / 332
              Aerolineas Argentinas 707
              Avensa Convair 580
              TAME L.188
              Saeta Ecuador 707
              Chalk Ocean G.73 Turbo mallard (was accomodated next to the bulk head)
              TAT Twin-Otter / Beech 99 (same as the G.73, no curtain drown)
              Scenic Twin Otter (no curtain, and right to the bulkhead)
              Trans Azur Aviation / Handley Page Dart herald
              Lina Congo F.27
              Air Portugal 707
              Meridana / Bae 146
              Think I didn't forget something on the (run)way !!!
              Alain
              Thanks for visiting
              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
              *JetPhotos*
              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
              X