Is it all over for Flybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it all over for Flybe?

According to reports, Flybe may go into liquidation as soon as this evening. One of their aircraft has already been impounded at Glasgow and there are reports that refuellers are refusing service.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51733405

It will be very sad if it is indeed happening like this: it is a very important carrier in many remote markets; as a former Jersey resident myself, I flew it many times; their crews were always very pleasant and as a dispatcher now, I always enjoyed dealing with their crews. I wish them all the best.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9379407

Looks like it has just gone under, statement from the UK CAA...

"Flybe has entered administration.
    All Flybe flights are cancelled. Please do not go to the airport as your Flybe flight will not be operating.
    For flights operated by franchise partners, passengers should make contact with their airline."

and this article released about 45mins ago: https://www.theguardian.com/business...nounces-rescue

Comment

Well, there goes another one. Another problem that arises from the FlyBe collapse is the effect that it will have on the regional airports that they served some of which relied solely on FlyBe operations....

Top 10 UK airports with the highest share of Flybe flights (departures in 2019):
      • Anglesey (487) - 100%
      • Southampton (14,274) - 95%
      • Belfast City (13,767) - 79.5%
      • Exeter (5,497) -78%
      • Newquay (2,679) - 65.9%
      • Wick (413) - 58.7%
      • Jersey (6,791) - 57.4%
      • Cardiff (4,292) - 51.8%
      • Guernsey (4,543) - 49.5%
      • Isle of Man (3,190) - 49.4%
      Last edited by brianw999; 2020-03-05, 22:00.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Quite true; Southampton and Belfast will probably be the worst affected; Anglesey was actually served by Eastern, so it should be ok.

I used to live in Jersey, for many years; Flybe was once "Jersey European" and still used the "Jersey" callsign; it was a big part of the island. Blue Islands has already stepped in to take over some of the routes, as has Aurigny in Guernsey.

Hopefully, other carriers will step in; there was clearly a market for flights at these airports, but most airlines are in survival mode now and adding new routes is way down their list of priorities.

Comment

Yes that's true, I can confirm the threadstarters question. And I see similarities to Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter mbH, a topic which I started only a few months ago.

I own the Summer Schedule April 2019 for Lohausen International airport, as a pdf file. And I am quite happy with it. Thus, I'm able to say, what happened last summer, here on my home airport.

Here is a choice of destinations which until today still are missing (cp. EDDL Summer Schedule April 2019):
          BE #9514 DUS 1250 - Guernsey 1515, once a week (only on Saturdays), a/c type DeHavilland Dash8 Q400 turbopropeller, with 2 x 5071 hp each ..
          BE #1898 DUS 2100 - Southampton 2135, once daily, not on Saturdays, a/c type DeHavilland Dash8 Q400 turbopropeller,
          [all times are local]

Flybe, which was founded in 1979, ceased to exist on March 5th 2020 (en wikipedia). They vanished from the skies after 40 years. Which is a bad thing and which makes me ask at least 2 questions.

Where are all these 54 (in words: fifty-four) DeHavilland Dash8 Q400 turbopropellers now, ex Flybe?

Am I able to buy one of these?
          How much is such a turbopropeller worth today?

And finally.

Who on Earth is gonna take over all the ex Flybe routes (not only the two which I mentioned) ?
          That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

Originally posted by akerosid View Post
            Quite true; Southampton and Belfast will probably be the worst affected; Anglesey was actually served by Eastern, so it should be ok.

I used to live in Jersey, for many years; Flybe was once "Jersey European" and still used the "Jersey" callsign; it was a big part of the island. Blue Islands has already stepped in to take over some of the routes, as has Aurigny in Guernsey.

Hopefully, other carriers will step in; there was clearly a market for flights at these airports, but most airlines are in survival mode now and adding new routes is way down their list of priorities.
            most airlines are in survival mode now and adding new routes is way down their list of priorities.
            Well. That's not quite true. I don't wanna say that this is completely untrue. I'd say, only the first part of your statement is true. Yes, most airlines, and especially these airlines which are known worldwide and who still exist today (!), current members in the 747 club since 40 or 50 years or more, those had been thrown into survival mode in March 2020. And I know what I am talking about. Back then in March, I was not sure if my nickname from then on only would be an empty fuselage without a real airline behind it!

But March 2020 is behind us. And, at least what I can say about my home airport, "adding new routes is [no longer] way down" the list of priorities for Lufthansa (Eurowings).

A short comparison. In May 2020, I counted a number of not much more than 20 international destinations here at Lohausen.

Today, July 28th 2020, well, let me count again.. much more than 78 international destinations (!) again here at Lohausen,
            Birmingham, Heathrow and Manchester-Ringway included.

Let's restart Lohausen International airport!
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-07-27, 22:33. Reason: More than 78, probably more than 80
            That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
            Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

Working...
            X