X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LH-B744
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE View Post

The aeroplanie has tall landing gear, and was supposedly a little bit efficient...I have been four one oh'd a few times.

However, it's the only airliner where I can remember routinely being slightly buffeted by 'average' winds when parked at the gate.

Nevertheless, I'm afraid you are beating an extremely dead horse.
    Wow. Ok. I've never been on board a 757 in my whole life. So, the only thing which I could say is, yes, she wiggles when parked at the gate, also with rather slow winds.

I just wonder, why have I never seen a 757 who wiggles here at EDDL. Probably I'm on the completely wrong edge of Lohausen International when a 757 starts to wiggle. Btw, this is the current color scheme for the Condor Flugdienst Boeing 757-300:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9662923

The DE-B753 at the gate?.. That must be rather Terminal A, here at DUS, as I assume. Then that's the explanation, a very common plane spotter location at DUS is .. not at Terminal A.

My question for this night would be, why does a B753 wiggle? Imho, she does neither have huge wings, nor a huge tail fin, compared to let's say a B744...

So, and I don't know much about aerodynamics, with really a space saving wingspan of only 124 ft 10 inches (38.0 meter),
    where on the fuselage of such a 'Flyin Pencil' would such a wind begin to wiggle?

That would only happen, if such a 757-300 is very light, wouldn't it.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-04-22, 21:27. Reason: Is that the effect of an 18 wheel truck full of light rock wool on a high bridge? wiggle wiggle..

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    ...original manner...re-engining the existing airframes...
    I acknowledge your subtle twist.

BUT

I don't think it's an original THOUGHT, as many times as the 737 was spruced up and stretched and 757 engines got replaced with the "exact same" engine, I'm sure it was considered very carefully (yeah, probably MORE carefully than the Mush Correction Automatic System)

As the analogy says, the horse is dead...(In a rather black and white way, no less).

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    I'm afraid you are beating an extremely dead horse.
    Yes, I am, but I think in an original manner.

I remember many talks about a "757-MAX" version with improved engines, avionics, stretched, etc...

But I don't remember having seen talks about re-engining the existing airframes. It is very different because you don't need to restart production.

While re-engining an existing fleet was done in the military several times, I don't remember having seen that in the civilian world.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    ***It was discussed many times***
    The aeroplanie has tall landing gear, and was supposedly a little bit efficient...I have been four one oh'd a few times.

However, it's the only airliner where I can remember routinely being slightly buffeted by 'average' winds when parked at the gate.

Nevertheless, I'm afraid you are beating an extremely dead horse.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Ok, this may be a crazy idea, I know...

It was discussed many times the complications to re-start a 757 production (re-do all the tooling, re-establish the supply chain, etc) to include improvements in it s design (like new engines, stretching the fuselage, etc...)

How many 757 are out there either in service, preserved, or in a state from where bringing it back to airworthy condition is within the realm of the possibilities?

What about making a fleet-wide re-engine on existing airplanes instead? With a plane that was designed in the 70's and first flew in the 80's, a re-engine 35 years later should easily yield at least 15% fuel burn improvement.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
    By the way, who is Axl?
    Axl Rose, singer of the Guns N' Roses. In their song November Rain he sings:

"Nothing last forever, even cold November rain".

So in a spike of art, creativity and ingenuity, I replaced the last part of the verse for something else while keeping the metric and the rhyme:

"Nothing lasts forever, even big Boeing jumbo planes".

(sorry, that is as far as my ingenuity and creativity in art gets, even in a spike)

Another question. Gabe, do you know if this forum only allows forum entries if you avoid the names of famous musicians who are born near Newark Intl airport?!

That's a serious question.
    I don't know, but I do know that are certain words that are no allowed in posts. I don't know which ones. I identified only such word so far but sometimes the posts don't go through and I assume it is because some of the words is not allowed. We should do the exercise to remove the words one by one until the post goes through to find out which one was the offended word.

I believe that this "feature" is not intentional, some bug, some hack, something left over from where they copied the code, I don't know.
    Or why on Earth would the jetphotos admin ban the word "s1eep"? (I had to use a 1 in place of the l to have this post posted, you can use this kind of tricks to get your post through when you find a banned word, use a 5 for an S, a 1 for an l, a $ for an A, a 0 for an O, etc...).

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    Sorry, but I have to interrupt again, shortly. This forum teaches even the senior members to open a new forum post instead of editing the previous one. So, who am I to not follow this rule.

The call sign for Condor Flugdienst GmbH since 1955 is, what would you guess, Condor.
    Of course.
    There are names which even the Microsoft Flight Simulator knows, since the beginning of the so called 'new millenium' in the year 2000. Which are the call signs which even the infamous atc dll in Flight Simulator 9 had on the list.
    United type 757 .
    Speedbird type 747 .
    Lufthansa type 747-400 .

Condor type 757? I am not quite sure.

But I know names which even do not take place in fsx!
    New Zealand type 787 (NZ-B789) .
    And even
    New Zealand type 747
    does not take place in the fsx atc dll . At least unless you write the correct call sign into your configuration:
    'atc_airline=New Zealand' .
    I've not yet tested it with the correct call sign.

This is the reason why I call this part of the simulator 'infamous', it only includes two or three of the most common international airlines who cross the Atlantic Ocean.

All the other great international airlines with partly very very common call signs simply do not take place..
    Springbok.
    All Nippon (?). Since they do no longer fly the NH-B747 (since the year 2014), I honestly have never again tried their call sign in a simulator. Concerning a/c types in combination with very common call signs I asked somebody, 'What do you think, is an a/c type for the future, the 757, the 767, or the 747?' By that time I told him, that also the B763ER is a good aircraft in my eyes.
    But without a moment of a doubt, he said, 747. At least concerning All Nippon, that was a lie. The NH-B763ER survives.

The astonishing moment came when I saw that his man somehow was a fan of the Condor type B763ER. In Germany, this still is an interesting race,
    DE-B763ER vs LH-B744 . So, for both of us, that man had a good aircraft type in his mind. Nobody talked about the 757. I don't remember his name, but after all these years, definitely 12 or 15 years, he still works for Condor or has worked for Condor. It is his fault that my nickname is not DE-B763ER!

Back on topic.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-04-07, 03:41. Reason: Condor, and other historically correct call signs.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    By the way, who is Axl? I asked one of the bigger search machines for the name of the United Airlines CEO, and it gave me the name Mr. Oscar Munoz.

So, who is Axl?

Another question. Gabe, do you know if this forum only allows forum entries if you avoid the names of famous musicians who are born near Newark Intl airport?!

That's a serious question. If that were the truth, I do no longer have to try the forum post which I try since approx one hour!

Back on topic. German airlines never will reach that great continuous level of experience, compared to United Airlines. That's a historical fact.
    But since here in Germany we again are allowed to fly with the German colors, black red and golden, there are three names which here still shine.
    the LTU - founded in Düsseldorf in October 1955,
    the Condor Flugdienst - founded in Kelsterbach (near Rhein/Main Intl airport) in December 1955, and, last but not least,
    the Lufthansa - founded (again) and performed a first flight under this name in Cologne in April 1955.

The Condor Flugdienst GmbH today in April 2020 still is responsible for a fleet of 15 Boeing 757-300 jets, after they inaugurated the type 757-300 in 1999.

PS: I am able to write my forum entries without Bruce and Jon, but somebody should have told me that rule!
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-04-07, 01:03. Reason: Current operators of the 757.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    How can you compare the 757 (basically a slightly bigger 737) with the 747? Sure, the range of the 747 is quite longer than that of the 757. Now go fly the 747 in a route that has demand for 250 seats.

And, in any event, the 777-X will almost match the capacity of the 747 (426 seats in 2 classes) with more range and much more fuel and maintenance economy.

As Axl would say, "Nothin' lasts forever, even big Boeing jumbo planes"
    A slightly bigger 737, yes, with only a slightly longer range.. clearly not more than 3,900 nautical miles in a Boeing 757-200 . That seems to be the reason why even Newark is not connected nonstop to Lohausen International airport with a 757.

I do not really compare the 757 to my favorite aircraft of all times, but in the jetphoto which I mentioned in my #1 forum entry here in this topic, the 757 cockpit really does not differ that much from a 747-400 .
    The same cockpit colors, which I love (!). How should I call that, 'Boeing beige', and you do not (yet) know the color of my sofa, but that also is 'Boeing beige' (!) . Without that somebody said, that sofa has to be 'Boeing beige' .

Evidently, also the successor of the 747, the B773ER, has a Boeing beige cockpit. And that's what I wanted to say. You look at it, and you feel at home at once!
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-04-07, 00:13. Reason: Boeing beige, in the 752, in the 744, in the 773ER, ... :-)

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    How can you compare the 757 (basically a slightly bigger 737) with the 747? Sure, the range of the 747 is quite longer than that of the 757. Now go fly the 747 in a route that has demand for 250 seats.

And, in any event, the 777-X will almost match the capacity of the 747 (426 seats in 2 classes) with more range and much more fuel and maintenance economy.

As Axl would say, "Nothin' lasts forever, even big Boeing jumbo planes"

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    started a topic Current 757 operators

Current 757 operators

This is what I found just a few moments ago, on the main page. And I thought.. well, since the eleven years which I am here on board this fantastic aviation forum, we have not yet discussed the 757 so very often. Thus, I chose to open a topic for the Boeing 757 .

United still flies the 757 in both versions, -200 and -300,
    plus the 767, version UA-B763ER . But they decided against the 747. Which, by Gabriel, was explained by... (not word by word) .. ah, nobody in the year 2020 uses four engined long haul jets..

Which is only correct if the White House in Washington is nobody. Plus a few minor International airlines from...
    The Netherlands, Great Britain, et cetera ...

Back on topic. This is one brilliant photo in the topic 'Boeing inside',
    a/c type UA-B752 ...
    https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9675306

I immediately thought, well, this is not a 747-400 isn't it. No it is not:
    only two thrust levers, and subsequently, only two columns for engine data, which rather appear like the tachometers which I've once seen in a 737.. The 747-400 does not have tachometers for each engine, but real columns, one for each of the 4 engines. I just tried to compare that with a tape deck, two levels, one for left and one for right.
    But who today still knows what a tape deck once was used for... (!)

Back on topic. In my eyes, it almost seems as if the 757-200 cockpit could also be used with the 747-400 type license. But the differences are indeed quite huge:
    757 - not capable for all flights across the Atlantic Ocean. Otherwise here at EDDL I had seen one US-American Boeing 757. Delta uses the B763ER instead.
    747 - capable for flights across the Pacific Ocean and each and every smaller Ocean. Only limited by the time you like to stay in your seat. 13 hours? ok.

After all these years I still have questions.
    1. Is the 757 so very much better concerning 'fuel per nautical mile' than the 747?

2. Or is it rather a fact, that the Boeing 747 has much more fans who do NOT work for United, and thus the 757 survived in the UA fleet?
Working...
X