Delta to retire its 777s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta to retire its 777s

Earlier this morning, on May 14th 2020, in a corporate wide email Ed Bastian announced Delta Air Lines would be retiring its fleet of Boeing Triple 7s due to the current Covid 19 situation. Much like the md88 and md90, the 777 was chosen for retirement to keep Delta's fleet more fuel efficient and cost effective during this time of reduced fleet usage because of the lack of flying.

Well, I guess this means I'm never going to get regular service on these in Salt Lake. The 777 is hands down my favorite aircraft, and now the rumors we used to have are no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Rodeback View Post
      Well, I guess this means I'm never going to get regular service on these in Salt Lake. The 777 is hands down my favorite aircraft, and now the rumors we used to have are no more.
      Yes, things happen. First of all, what I really miss here in this forum is, a corner for good news! Something like.. Lufthansa does no longer fly the A380, but hey, the 747 is big enough, and still in the fleet (!) .

Btw, the Lufthansa en wiki still believes that eight LH-A388 will remain in the fleet, but when we look at the source, .. March 13th 2019, so, I'd say, not reliable, or at least, not current. More than 1 year old, that source.
      What I've heard since March 2020, since the last 12 weeks, is, not one LH-A388 will remain in the Lufthansa fleet. And if CEO Spohr has signed the death sentence for the LH-A388, I should find a quite good source for that. I'll watch out and I'll keep all of us up-to-date.

Back on topic.
      You probably know more about Delta than me. What would be your good news? Delta does no longer fly the 777, but hey, ... hm. In case of Delta I might need some help. ... but hey,
      the DL-B763ER is big enough. That would be my spontaneous answer, because I know the DL-B763ER from my home airport.

This damn disease has consequences, yes. A fool who thought that nothing would happen. But Delta now has lost its second icon, first the DL 747, and now the DL 777?

You said, that for you the DL 777 was an icon. To make it rather short, I am against the loss of icons!

So, what I like to start here on this platform, is something like an info topic, something like, look here, aviation is not dead, these are the flights which are provided:

And if one topic is too small for all the nations which really do participate here, why shouldn't we open one topic for each aviation alliance. The funny thing here really is,
      Delta and Lufthansa are not really members in the same aviation alliance. But nevertheless, I feel concerned here in this topic. Last but not least, because I know one jetphotos senior member who has a connection to Delta. And Lohausen Intl has a connection with DL-B763ER.

Aviation is not dead (yet). The passengers do come back, when they know that there are flights on the Summer Schedule 2020.
      That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

So, Mr Rodeback, you've made a wise choice. In contrast to other jetphotos forum members, you have not chosen a nickname which contains an aircraft type which on one very very very bad day maybe vanishes from the Skies.. Not all of us have been that wise.

I just had a very nice thought. I could open the SkyTeam topic and try to find flights which soon are provided in the SkyTeam alliance. And you open a Star Alliance topic and try to find something comparable?

Or should everyone stay with his own aviation alliance? Toronto Lester B. Pearson is just on my screen. Which tomorrow, on Sunday, will be shared between
        really a Star Alliance B777 (!) and later, one A330-300, if we talk about Rhein/Main..

Man, the passengers do come back, they only have to know which flights are provided.

PS: I'm serious. I could open a SkyTeam topic, I have found at least one valid flight number for the Summer Schedule 2020:
        DL #107, and the a/c type here on my screen is, DL-A332 .

But probably it is the best when you care for SkyTeam. I assume that you know more than one SkyTeam flight number for this summer.
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2020-06-12, 23:02. Reason: Valid flight numbers for this summer.
        That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

Working...
        X