Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta last MD88 & MD90 flights

Thanks for posting
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

It does hit me more on a more personal level than the 747 retirements even though I love that plane type, but the MD-80 and 90 series were a frequent visitor at my home airport of whose ICAO is my username. And they were a common site in my teen years plane spotting there in the mid 00's (I never did get too good at the whole photo thing I just come here to admire others and read aviation news). But I can even still see as a vision in my head looking down the main runway standing at the fence with my dad as one of these Delta MD's lifted off with its tail mounted engines. And they would use these on one of the longer routes into Spokane too between here and Minneapolis. Eventually they started doing that route with A320's and in the summer 757's. But they only stopped doing that route with MD's in the early 2010's as far as I remember.

So these retiring is leaving an impression on me for sure. Hat's off to these work horses and may they not be forgotten!

Comment

Hm. Does somebody know when Delta inaugurated the MD-88? Ah. Wikipedia sometimes tries to hide the answers, but here it is.

Somebody has counted that in the Delta Fleet there once had been not less than ... 120 aircraft of the type DL-MD88.
        Delta inaugurated the a/c type MD-88 in the year 1987.

And that is what I always do not understand. Gabriel is able to understand that, but I'd say, why don't you have the last flight of an DL-MD88 not in the year 2017, or in the year 2022.
        The last flight of a DL-MD88, after 35 years in the DL fleet. That's something which even I would open a bottle upon, in the year 2022.

Airline CEOs sometimes are so very unromantic.

The Delta CEO is born in the year 1957. So, thirty years before the inauguration of the DL-MD88. I don't know if the Delta CEO really is unromantic. But now the last flight after... 33 years?

What I can say is, when I became 33 years old, nobody opened a bottle (before I did).

PS: So, now, what will Delta consist of from now on. I asked the Rhein/Main Intl airport, and they say, Delta Airbus A330-300, for example. Which imho is ok.

That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

In contrast to the threadstarter, I even was here when Delta ... hm. Let me try that in German again. Alex, you'll translate?
          Im Gegensatz zum ersten Themenbeitrag hier kenne ich diese Plattform schon bevor Delta die DL-McDonnell Douglas DC9-30 ausgeflottet hat im Jahr 2010.
          ausgeflottet, in English?

Back to the original platform language. When Delta had the last flight of the Delta DC9-30 in the year 2010 here in this forum we also had a mourning, and one or two people opened a bottle.

Back then, the Delta CEO already was unromantic.

Delta DC9-30, from 1967 until 2010. 43 years, not 40, not 45, not 50, no.

But I remember, that I opened a bottle in 2010. 43 years in the air is not really bad, for the Delta DC9-30.
          Elvis Presley died before he achieved 43 years on this planet.
          That's what airlines are good for, amongst others,
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          Aviation enthusiast, since more than 35 years with home airport EDDL.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
            Hm. Does somebody know when Delta inaugurated the MD-88?
            Yes, its literally talked about in the video... You should try watching it and learning from the info in it.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
              And that is what I always do not understand. Gabriel is able to understand that, but I'd say, why don't you have the last flight of an DL-MD88 not in the year 2017, or in the year 2022.
              The last flight of a DL-MD88, after 35 years in the DL fleet. That's something which even I would open a bottle upon, in the year 2022.

Airline CEOs sometimes are so very unromantic.

The Delta CEO is born in the year 1957. So, thirty years before the inauguration of the DL-MD88. I don't know if the Delta CEO really is unromantic. But now the last flight after... 33 years?
              Again, more info that was clearly stated in the video posted...

Comment

Working...
              X