Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VQ-BMS, one of the last 747SP's was severely damaged and is likely to be written off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VQ-BMS, one of the last 747SP's was severely damaged and is likely to be written off.

One of the Sands Corp. 747SP's was severely damaged by Hurricane Laura and collided with another aircraft while performing maintenance in Lousiana. She is likely to be written off.

Source: AeroNewsX
    Attached Files

Originally posted by mskinner04 View Post
    She is likely to be written off.
    And water is likely to be wet.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

And water is likely to be wet.
      Is that the kind of forum entries by which you reached the number 7612?!

And even if that were so, I think Alex protects us. Men who are older than 42 should stand together as friends...

Back on topic.

reg VQ-BMS, a 747 SP, which as an a/c type was introduced into the market back then in 1975, afaik. A decade which I am really interested in, or what would you mean, Gabriel.

Do we know more about that 747? Previous owners?

Here at least is one airport which the VQ-BMS in her history shares with the type LH-B744:

VQ-BMS. Boeing 747SP-21. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

PS: And the VQ-BMS is really dead? Lufthansa has never owned the rather short 747SP. But where do I know from the short 747.. To be continued..
      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Where do I know the 747 SP know from. ...
        https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/1705

This one was not a 747 SP, but the airport is legendary, one of the best airports on Planet Earth, which does no longer exist...
        Just finish the rain!. B-2443. Boeing 747-4J6. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Ah, finally. I beg for pardon, it was neither a 747 SP nor Air China. It was a China Airlines 747-400, and this is the photo which I was lookin for.
        November 1993. Now that seems to be the difference between the Jetphotos Juniors and the Jetphotos Seniors. The Junior members don't know that much about the year 1993, or do they.

Treffer, versenkt.

Comment

Where do I know the 747 SP from. Finally. This aircraft takes off with the name 'Sofia'. A woman, of course. And Hamburg again. If not all cinemas and all important shops in Hamburg had been closed since December 16th 2020, I definitely would have visited Hamburg again. But what is Hamburg without her cinemas, theaters, restaurants. Sorry. But imho almost nothing!

Nevertheless, Hamburg again, during the new year, Winter 2020/2021.
          That jetphoto could make it as my new desktop background. Uploaded only yesterday! Here the 747 SP is, in Hamburg:

N747NA. Boeing 747SP-21. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

PS: I just have used wikipedia, to see what is behind that beautiful 747 SP, called Lady Sofia:
          Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy,
          or short, Sofia.

The history of Sofia is also interesting. Born April 1977, and her makeup hasn't change much since then. First of all, she took off for Pan Am,
          and since 1986 for United Airlines.

Since 1997, Sofia flies for the Star Alliance, who in this case only consists of the NASA and the German DLR .

One of the true stories which a 747 is able to tell.

Comment

Am I again good for another night shift? Well my bathroom mirror knows the answer tomorrow. This is Sofias en wiki:

Battleship Grey she wore until ... 1996? Simply great. And her spec sheet is also impressive.

As I understand it, Sofia has pretty much the same engines as a LH-B744, but she is 15 meters shorter than my nickname. That is the completely opposite problem which you might have in a Junkers Ju-52.

In a 747 SP you might have so much power so that you should not fly double loopings and screws during climb flight, at least not necessarily at FL400 .

A LH-B744 is also good for FL400 , I have seen that in a simulator with my own eyes. But Sofia goes higher than a LH-B744.

Very impressive.

Comment

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Sure is a shame. Always liked the SP, oddball that it is.

Comment

Isn't VQ-B-- prefix for Bermuda? So why is Sands aircraft registered there?
                  ''It is highly speculated that the Il-76 was not chosen as the leading actor in The Transporter movies only because Hillary Clinton and Harvey Weinstein were not okay with it being Russian, and the role eventually went to Jason Statham instead.''
                  Fantastic Planes and How to Identify Them by Ahnaf Ahmed
                  Link: https://books2read.com/FantasticPlanes

Comment

Originally posted by Winglet_Flanker View Post
                    Isn't VQ-B-- prefix for Bermuda? So why is Sands aircraft registered there?
                    Will almost certainly be for tax reasons.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                    X