Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icelandair flight to the Antarctica

Interesting item here:
    Ice landing: Icelandair Boeing 767 completes 20,000-mile journey to Antarctica (msn.com)

The plane is clearly a paid actor.

Comment

Pushback at ENGM feb. 28 before last leg back home to Iceland. (My photo)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	8E64461A-ED50-4F62-AD65-B37911BE3E51.jpeg
Views:	444
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1110732

Comment

My dream is to land in Antarctica on-board an Il-76. No other aircraft type suits the mood.
        ''It is highly speculated that the Il-76 was not chosen as the leading actor in The Transporter movies only because Hillary Clinton and Harvey Weinstein were not okay with it being Russian, and the role eventually went to Jason Statham instead.''
        Fantastic Planes and How to Identify Them by Ahnaf Ahmed
        Link: https://books2read.com/FantasticPlanes

Comment

And you could swear that this topic has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with a topic which I started a few days ago, and which I called
          "Lufthansa A350-900, from Hamburg to the Falkland Islands" ?

Inspiration it is, for all those simulator pilots who still own a good B763ER simulator. Level D once was a good provider, but before I tried to buy that, somebody told me.. we have so many B763ER pilots in Germany, why don't you try the 747. I think I have told that story once before. And, I took his advice...

20,000 miles for the round trip. I'm almost sure, that needs one or two words of explanation.

As I assume, and this is not the first topic where Highkeas and I meet, msn measures distances in US-miles. And not in nautical miles.

So, I'd assume 10,000 US-miles for the way down to Antartica.

Now, Highkeas could help me.. 10,000 US-miles are.. 16000 kilometer? And 1 nautical mile are 1,852 km >> 8639 nautical miles.

And msn mentions Oslo International airport. From ENGM Oslo Gardermoen to SFAL Port Stanley, .. 7482 nautical miles, only a rough guess.

That even for a 747 is an interesting distance. But msn says, they used a FI-B763ER (Icelandair B767-300ER). The B763ER has a maximum range with MTOW of 5,900 nmi . And so, they had to do one or two interesting stopovers to gain fuel .

In Germany, we have a very simple word for stopovers to gain fuel. I'd call that einen Tankstop einlegen. But I haven't yet found a proper translation. Fuel stop?

One stopover was, South Africa? Good decision. With Randazzo's LH-B744 simulator, South Africa is a nonstop route. And one of my favorite routes. Cape Town, or Johannesburg.
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2021-03-05, 00:22. Reason: And even if LH-A359 had been the first this year, I'd call it inspiration.
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

LH-B744 - You distance coversions are correct.

Here are more details of the flight: AWESOME: Icelandair's Antarctica Flight | One Mile at a Time

It is surprising how far some commercial aircraft can fly with minimum passengersand cargo. My former company used to deliver aircraft world wide acheiving amazing distances - some fully outfitted and some green.

Comment

Working...
            X