Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highkeas
    replied
    LH-B744 - You distance coversions are correct.

Here are more details of the flight: AWESOME: Icelandair's Antarctica Flight | One Mile at a Time

It is surprising how far some commercial aircraft can fly with minimum passengersand cargo. My former company used to deliver aircraft world wide acheiving amazing distances - some fully outfitted and some green.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    And you could swear that this topic has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with a topic which I started a few days ago, and which I called
    "Lufthansa A350-900, from Hamburg to the Falkland Islands" ?

Inspiration it is, for all those simulator pilots who still own a good B763ER simulator. Level D once was a good provider, but before I tried to buy that, somebody told me.. we have so many B763ER pilots in Germany, why don't you try the 747. I think I have told that story once before. And, I took his advice...

20,000 miles for the round trip. I'm almost sure, that needs one or two words of explanation.

As I assume, and this is not the first topic where Highkeas and I meet, msn measures distances in US-miles. And not in nautical miles.

So, I'd assume 10,000 US-miles for the way down to Antartica.

Now, Highkeas could help me.. 10,000 US-miles are.. 16000 kilometer? And 1 nautical mile are 1,852 km >> 8639 nautical miles.

And msn mentions Oslo International airport. From ENGM Oslo Gardermoen to SFAL Port Stanley, .. 7482 nautical miles, only a rough guess.

That even for a 747 is an interesting distance. But msn says, they used a FI-B763ER (Icelandair B767-300ER). The B763ER has a maximum range with MTOW of 5,900 nmi . And so, they had to do one or two interesting stopovers to gain fuel .

In Germany, we have a very simple word for stopovers to gain fuel. I'd call that einen Tankstop einlegen. But I haven't yet found a proper translation. Fuel stop?

One stopover was, South Africa? Good decision. With Randazzo's LH-B744 simulator, South Africa is a nonstop route. And one of my favorite routes. Cape Town, or Johannesburg.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2021-03-05, 00:22. Reason: And even if LH-A359 had been the first this year, I'd call it inspiration.

Leave a comment:

• Winglet_Flanker
    replied
    My dream is to land in Antarctica on-board an Il-76. No other aircraft type suits the mood.

Leave a comment:

• Andre_S
    replied
    Pushback at ENGM feb. 28 before last leg back home to Iceland. (My photo)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8E64461A-ED50-4F62-AD65-B37911BE3E51.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1110732

Leave a comment:

• trenchjp
    replied
    The plane is clearly a paid actor.

Leave a comment:

• Highkeas
    started a topic Icelandair flight to the Antarctica

Icelandair flight to the Antarctica

Interesting item here:
    Ice landing: Icelandair Boeing 767 completes 20,000-mile journey to Antarctica (msn.com)
Working...
X