TWA - Remember them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWA - Remember them?

I loved that airline. It was a sad day in 2001 when it was announced AA was acquiring them, the first of many very sad days for US aviation that year. Back then I also never would have guessed America West would have acquired US Airways and then US Airways would acquire American Airlines, but Doug Parker did an amazing job, as did Gordon Bethune at Continental; the thought they would buy out United was also unbelievable. Of the airline megamergers the only one that seems like it could have been anticipated was Delta - Northwest.

worst thing to happen to AA was the takeover by US air. while aa may not have been even close to being a great airline pre-merger, it was far better than it is now.

one of my best friends was in upper management at aa for 18 years pre-merger and left several years after. the culture became one of not really caring about customers or markets or reputation or loyalty or pretty much anything other than pleasing wall street.

i have been ex plat on aa for 7 years and platinum for 6 prior to that. they give lots of lip service to us elites being so important to them but really we are nothing more than sources of quick money. we get bent over just as hard as the once a year flyer. example: in 2020, aa gladly took my money for six trips that they cancelled. they never offered me a refund rather they gave me EXPIRING vouchers. when i tried to use some of them, i was denied because of "rules" on origin cities. when i asked what chance i could possibly have to used these vouchers now that they no longer fly to the same city, they had no answer. when i asked for refunds i was denied. none of this happened pre-merger, at least not to me.

i cant speak about any other us airline on this topic but my brother, who is a jet blue fan, tells me that the credits JB gives for cancelled trips have no restrictions that he knows of and has had zero trouble using credits to buy tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxPriest View Post
      I loved that airline. It was a sad day in 2001 when it was announced AA was acquiring them, the first of many very sad days for US aviation that year. Back then I also never would have guessed America West would have acquired US Airways and then US Airways would acquire American Airlines, but Doug Parker did an amazing job, as did Gordon Bethune at Continental; the thought they would buy out United was also unbelievable. Of the airline megamergers the only one that seems like it could have been anticipated was Delta - Northwest.
      Dougie The Drunk and "great job" in the same sentence...Oh my.

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxPriest View Post
        Hm. Another case of >> Let me welcome you to this aviation platform, you shiny brandnew member.

But when we read his first forum entry, it is crystal clear that at least he is not brandnew in aviation. Or what would you say, ATC.

I do not have to quote the whole en wiki article, but, until a few minutes ago, I didn't know that TWA was only 3 years younger than my home airport (1930 vs 1927).
        Trans World Airlines.

To answer the threadstarters question, Yes. Of course, I remember TWA. And what was their headquarter.
        TWA, est 1930 in New York City.

So, if you ask me, until 1992 that has never changed.

Swallowed by AA, back then in 2001. But what happened to one a/c type, where I after more than 44 years have an eye on:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5971745
        TW-B741 , August 1970, at her home airport. Obviously, already in 1998, TWA got rid of their 747 fleet. Thus, AA was not able to add one 747 to their fleet
        when they swallowed TWA back then in 2001.

So, the TWA 747 fleet existed between 1970 and 1998. And the 747 versions which they owned never included one 747-300 or one 747-400 (or later versions).

You can ask me, or you can ask Bob, and both of us will tell you that between the 742 and the 744 the difference is almost a whole world. The 744, which was never owned by TWA.

And what were the TWA destinations?
        The German long haul is alive, since more than 60 years.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Working...
        X