The McDonnell Douglas MD-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The McDonnell Douglas MD-11

Well. I followed the rule, first try to find a topic where your forum entry might fit into. Only open a new topic when you haven't found a topic where your forum entry fits.

Two seconds ago, I have used the jetphotos forum search with the words 'MD-11', and I had never expected the results. One result was written by myself (!), two or three years ago,
    when I mentioned the KLM MD-11 .

But that's not my topic today, so here is my topic.

In continental Europe, the a/c type MD-11F vanished from the skies when Lufthansa Cargo said good bye to their last MD-11F, back then in October 2021.

So, I'm a little late, but let me also say good bye to the MD-11 . With alot of facts, alot of jetphotos, alot of aviation history, and let me begin with the love between
    Flight Captains and their MD-11F:
    Ausgerechnet die Krise hatte der MD-11F, von Piloten wegen ihrer anspruchsvollen Flugeigenschaften liebevoll "Diva" genannt, zu einer Verlängerung bei Lufthansa Cargo verholfen.
    In English. The damn disease was good for another five or seven months of the MD-11F in the Lufthansa Cargo fleet. Pilots had called the MD-11F "the Diva" because of her
    demanding flight dynamics.

That's a love which probably somebody is able to explain to a Boeing 747-400 simulator pilot like me. You love her because she is so complicated?

The MD-11. I mean, I know her bare facts, she is (much) longer than her wingspan. Which is also the case in a Boeing 757.

So, is this the reason why an a/c might be 'complicated', when she is (much) longer than her wingspan?

And nevertheless, there are pilots in my favorite airline, who love the MD-11F due to her short wings?
    The German long haul is alive, since more than 60 years.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

MD-11 continued... I mean, I know a little bit about jets who are 60 meters long and longer. But I hardly remember one a/c type,
    62 meters long, and the wings are only 52 meters. This is the MD-11.

Or better, I am just too young to remember. There is at least one another a/c type with rather short wings,
    70,66 meters long, and the wings are only 59,60 meters. This is the Boeing 747-200, since February 1971. Which was six or seven years before my time.

But one of the test pilots who flew the 742 for Sutter (the father of the 747) said, 'The 747 is ridiculously easy to fly.' .

Thus, short wings not necessarily make a jet complicated.

So what's the love, what's the beloved complexity behind the MD-11?

The MD-11 passage version was inaugurated in December 1990 by Finnair. A long haul passenger jet with three jet engines. Is that the unique thing?
    I mean, if you ask me, when you have three jet engines then you're short of jet engines...

I have also heard of pilots who love their jet when they just give full throttle to it and they don't have to think about N1 numbers. That also might occur in a B763ER, only what I have heard so far.
    And it mostly occurs with MTOW (maximum take off weight). And you reach that weight much easier in a MD-11 than in a B744 as I assume.

So, that might be the easy side of the MD-11 medal. The not so easy side of the MD-11 medal might be, she always might feel a little slow when you not really open the throttle quadrant to the maximum (dt.: behäbig).
    As I said, only what I have heard so far about the MD-11. One or two more horses might have been good.
    That's what I do not have heard so often about the 744..

Jetphotos, for the MD-11 farewell:
    https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10456720
    JFK.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10344382
    The photo of the week. The LH-MD11F farewell, at O'Hare.

The German long haul is alive, since more than 60 years.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Good post in memory of a 3-holer.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
      X