Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commonly known a/c types, presented in aviation museums.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LH-B744
    replied
    As I said, this story is to be continued. And by that, I didn't only mean the solution for the 1 $ quiz question.

"Bitte steigen Sie nur ins Cockpit auf wenn Sie sich körperlich fit fühlen. Auf Eigene Gefahr!" I don't know if that sign on the 742 main deck also exists in English, but let me try to translate.

"Please, do only ascend to the 747-200 cockpit when you feel 100% fit. At your own risk!" .

Well. And this sign isn't there without a reason. The 742 main deck in Speyer is something like a luxury base camp for mountaineers, with a running air condition (!).

But on the 742 upper deck, they switched off the air condition, probably to see how many percent of the visitors of that day is able to make it up to the 747 upper deck,
    without air condition.
    That could be another quiz question, which only the museum operators really are able to answer. Here is my answer.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Jetphotos Upload 071.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1142073
    'Lufthansa 742, fly runway heading with a 17° portside bank angle, climb 5000, at Speyer Control." .

Well. As I assume, nowadays all Lufthansa 747s have the air condition running also in the upper deck and especially in the cockpit.

But in Speyer, they like to see who is fit enough for the stairs, without air condtion in the upper deck. And I can tell you it was a hot day,
    assumed 30°C OAT ,
    and assumed 50°C on the upper deck.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    "I'll give you one dollar if you can show me the Vickers Viscount in this picture." Well this dollar stays in my pocket now.

Really, nobody? Well then this game has no winner, or better, the bank wins. And the croupier takes out his shovel and collects all the chips. This is the solution (within the red line):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Jetphotos Upload 070.jpg Views:	0 Size:	775.0 KB ID:	1142071
    Now, the Vickers Viscount is not really a tiny vehicule, with a length of 26,11 m and with a wingspan of 28,55 m. But on this photo, you can see the difference,
    between
    .. without lookin that up.. a lenght of 70,60 m (LH-B742) - you can correct me when I'm wrong,
    and a Vickers Viscount.

Not for nothing, my favorite aircraft of all times was the biggest passenger jet in aviation history (until the year 2008_). And until in Speyer they replace the Vickers Viscount with an A380,
    I like to say that this is the biggest passenger jet in German aviation history: the Boeing 747.

747. The biggest passenger jet in a German aviation museum (?), and, in my eyes, since April 1970, the most beautiful passenger jet who still is in the air.

Since more than 52 years.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    And now, welcome to the main deck of the LH-B742. Did I mention that the air conditioning on the main deck is running, although the airspeed is not much more than zero?

That's very helpful in the summer of 2022. You can take out your bottle of water, sit down, and work against dehydration. Although, as I assume, in a scheduled Lufthansa jet, nice persons bring you enough water.
    But the running air conditioning on this LH 742 main deck already made me smile. A very nice service for the passengers, op by .... LH, or who swithes the knob on?

Right wing aft eng, LH-B742 cleared to Fuerteventura, Speyer control.

Name:	Jetphotos Upload 069.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	780.0 KB
ID:	1141598

To be continued...

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    ...and if you've ever wondered what her bank angle is there above on her socket. Quite moderate, clearly within a B744 bank angle limiter, if you ask me.

10 or 15° portside? If I had to bet, clearly less than 22° portside. And that's what we all expect from a LH 747, don't we. Passenger friendly bank angles.

Although, a few minutes after this photo, a young family with her young daughter (7 years old?) appeared up there on the 747 socket, and the mother said,
    'wow, why is this jet so sloped, it is so difficult to walk here in the aisle.' and I responded (in German):
    'well. this jet definitely flies a left turn.' and all three laughed, father, mother and daughter.

Fasten ur seat belts.

Here is another one of my Speyer photos June 2022. The LH-B742 bank angle. Also good for little 7 year old daugthers..
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Jetphotos Upload 068.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	1141595

PS: And the sailors among us now wonder, well that's never ever 15° starboard. If ever, 15 or 17 portside. But no one of the sailors has seen my mistake so early in the morning.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2022-07-27, 05:43. Reason: 17° portside.

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    Hm. I see you're still hungry. Although I like to say that Speyer is not only the LH-B742 'D-ABYM' on her socket, not by far. But you only are here because of the 747, aren't you.

So let me give you what you request. Cleared for t/o, Lufthansa Yankee Mike, type 747-200. Speyer Control.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jetphotos Upload 067.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,007.5 KB ID:	1141592
    Size comparison: a LH-B742 (above) and.... really, a Lufthansa Vickers Viscount (wingspan 28,55 meter, below). I'll give you one dollar if you can show me the Vickers Viscount in this picture.
    Cash, here on my home airport EDDL, only the first person wins,
    after announcement here in this topic.

Another size comparison. As far as I know, my favorite airline has always ordered 4 x GE jet eninges for the 747, since April 1970.
    Since 52 years, only GE jet engines in a LH 747.
    But, as I am a quite young guy, I am not quite sure which GE jet engines originally belong to the Lufthansa Boeing 747-200, above there on her socket.

LH-B741 since April 1970 (three windows in the upper deck),
    and LH-B742 since 1972 (ten windows in the upper deck, you can count together with me in the photo above: nine, ten.).

If I can trust my sources (en wikipedia), there was only one GE jet engine type for the 747-200 since 1972 available:
    the GE CF6-50, with a fan diameter of 219 cm.

Size comparison: Most of the humans on planet Earth fit into the hole of one LH-B742 nacelle, which has a diameter of 219 cm. Now again,
    cp yourself to the photo above...

Last edited by LH-B744; 2022-07-27, 04:44. Reason: GE jet engine type in the Lufthansa Boeing 747-200?

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    My day at the Speyer Museum was a tuesday this year: tuesday June 28th 2022. With an overnight stay at a hotel in Mainz.

Speyer is not really a day trip when you start in Duisburg, like me. I asked my favorite route planner in the internet about the way to Speyer, and they told me:
    Duisburg -- 326 km in 3std35min zzgl Pausen (tagsüber, evtl nachts schneller)

So. And the Museum in Speyer recommends at least 4 to 5 hours in the museum, but only if you're happy to leave the museum and you've seen nothin yet (like in the BTO song).

At least 7-9 hours on a German autobahn, plus 5 hours in Speyer. In my eyes that's not a relaxed day trip. So, I had a very nice hotel in Mainz for two nights.

And I left my drivers license at home, because between Duisburg and Mainz I had a seat in a quite famous Swiss train, the EuroCity #9 between Altona - Duisburg - Düsseldorf - Köln - Bonn - Koblenz and Mainz . Destination: Zurich HB .

During my first day in Mainz (June 27th), my plan was to see the Mainz Citadel and St. Stephan with its famous church windows by M. Chagall. But the people in Mainz celebrate always and everywhere. So I cancelled my rather profane program for Mainz for this day, and I celebrated Johannis with all the people in Mainz,
    which obviously is a major festivity in and around Mainz.
    Only the second day gave me back my original sightseeing program: The Speyer Museum. Which is 105 kilometers south of Mainz in a car, or as in my case,
    one hour in regional express train. Let me clearly recommend you these RE trains, nice passengers, and you arrive nonstop in Speyer, which also has a very nice train station.

Back on topic. The people in the Speyer Museum always recommend ... at least 4 hours if you arrive later than 10:00 am local, but only without the imax movie .

I'd say, for my next visit at the Speyer Museum, a whole day between 10:00 and 18:00 is not too much, especially because you can have lunch in the museum restaurant, which I didn't try this year. I only arrived at the Museum at... 14:00 cest local, which was my mistake. I didn't always look on my watch,

but, this is my recommendation for my next visit in the Speyer Museum:

1hour30min for the LH-B742 -- or more, because as in the real life, the air condition is running on the 747 main deck and they also show the movie on board:
    a documentation about the Lufthansa since 1955.
    1hour30min for the Antonov AN-22, which is a huge four engined huge propeller aircraft.
    plus
    1hour30min for lunch in the museum restaurant.
    plus
    1hour30min if you are also interested in steam locomotives or (not and, or) historic trucks and cars.

All together I recommend at least ... 4x90 min = 360 min, or six hours for this very nice museum in Speyer. Now I like to continue with 1 or 2 of my photos.

Name:	Jetphotos Upload 066.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1141590
    Size comparison: a Junkers JU-52 (above) and a historic truck (below).
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2022-07-27, 03:24. Reason: The Junkers JU-52 in Speyer.

Leave a comment:

• Commonly known a/c types, presented in aviation museums.

Well. I always have the words of "our" CEO, Flight Captain C. Spohr in my ears. He said something like, 'this summer 2022 we need all and every jets who ever have taken off for the Lufthansa,
    back in the air!' .

I wished, I could help him. But concerning my favorite a/c type, the LH-B744, there today already everybody is in the air who ever owned a LH-B744 F/O license.

So. Let's go back one generation. The Lufthansa B747-200, who was in the air between 1971 and 2004, before one (or two) 747 lovers sent her up on her socket in the Museum at Speyer.

Speyer. This is a cute little town, compared to Duisburg. And since 2002, they own an a/c type there in Speyer, which I'm definitely interested in, since 1978. The Lufthansa Boeing 747:

Name:	Jetphotos Upload 064.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	773.3 KB
ID:	1141586

Hm. I can clearly see the hunger in your eyes, you need more, don't ya. And I like to give you more, isn't that perfect?
Working...
X