Confirmed: Mriya will be rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed: Mriya will be rebuilt

Assuming anything can be confirmed at this point... But Antonov claims to have about 30% of the components already in hand.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...022/index.html

Hard to believe. The cost has to be much more than $500M. That's the list price of a 747-8, which is a plane built in an assembly line and leveraged from a type that has a total production run of more than 50 years and 1500 airplanes. I don't think that a production run of 1 can be done at anywhere near that cost.

Also, it is great that they have "30% of the parts". Firs observations is, well, you are missing more than twice as many parts as you have. Second, how do you count the %? By count? By weight? By cost? And what counts as "a part" to begin with? Missing "just a few parts" like the fuselage? A rivet? A wing rib? A larger subassembly of the wing? A whole wing? With or without mechanicals and accessories installed? "Oh we are just missing the fuselage and the wing, we have ALL the other parts" would not be promising.

And all that effort to build 1 airframe? Remember when the Mriya was built the intention was not to build 1 to lease it as a cargo plane, That was an after-the-fact idea. Ok, we have this one airframe of this superb plane that was already built and paid for. What can we do for it? Let's use it as a niche cargo plane!

If this airplane is rebuild it will be more a statement of pride, nationalism, victory, resilience, dream, than a business decision. Don't get me wrong, I think all those are still great reasons to re-build the plane and I do hope it happens. But I seriously doubt that it will take just $500 million and 5 years.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I'v been reading/hearing that the second airframe is going to be completed since I was a wee Not_Karlie...

Comment

I wish they rebuild it but I really doubt it's faisable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Hard to believe. The cost has to be much more than $500M. That's the list price of a 747-8, which is a plane built in an assembly line and leveraged from a type that has a total production run of more than 50 years and 1500 airplanes. I don't think that a production run of 1 can be done at anywhere near that cost.

Also, it is great that they have "30% of the parts". Firs observations is, well, you are missing more than twice as many parts as you have. Second, how do you count the %? By count? By weight? By cost? And what counts as "a part" to begin with? Missing "just a few parts" like the fuselage? A rivet? A wing rib? A larger subassembly of the wing? A whole wing? With or without mechanicals and accessories installed? "Oh we are just missing the fuselage and the wing, we have ALL the other parts" would not be promising.

And all that effort to build 1 airframe? Remember when the Mriya was built the intention was not to build 1 to lease it as a cargo plane, That was an after-the-fact idea. Ok, we have this one airframe of this superb plane that was already built and paid for. What can we do for it? Let's use it as a niche cargo plane!

If this airplane is rebuild it will be more a statement of pride, nationalism, victory, resilience, dream, than a business decision. Don't get me wrong, I think all those are still great reasons to re-build the plane and I do hope it happens. But I seriously doubt that it will take just $500 million and 5 years.
          This is the existing part of Unit 2,30% is possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	1148497
          Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	1148498
          Attached Files

Comment

Money is not everything.

Comment

If this airplane is rebuild it will be more a statement of pride, nationalism, victory, resilience, dream, than a business decision.
              I think you've nailed it there. Definitely not a pure business decision.

Originally posted by ATLcrew
              Money is not everything.
              Especially when Russia will be paying for it in auctioned yachts.

Comment

Working...
              X