Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kai Tak.

Hm. .
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

During 15 years in Hong Kong I lost count of the number of times I landed at Kai Tak (HKG). I often drove my car up Fei Ngo Shan (flying goose mountain) behind the airport to watch the landings some of which landed in the fragrant nullah between the runway and the factories. I never met my namesake (David Wilson) who hosts the "Friends of Kai Tak" facebook page. I didn't start photographing aircraft till my employers back in London gave me a window facing the glidepath into LCY. A lost opportunity, but Chek Lap Kok (HKG) affords different opportunities. I hope I can get back there sometime.
    --
    David dubya Wilson

Comment

I only ever went to Kai Tak once. On an RAF VC10 on a 2 month volunteer reserve attachment. Weird to be on short finals and looking up out of the window watching Mrs Wong hang her washing out on the balcony railings.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        I only ever went to Kai Tak once. On an RAF VC10 on a 2 month volunteer reserve attachment."
        The RAF VC10 was a weekly visitor, presumably facilitating troop rotation, I'd see as my car passed the perimeter fence. On one occassion, shortly after I'd arrived in Hong Kong, Concorde came in with a special tourism flight. I pulled into the access dropped kerb to watch it land and taxi. The Royal Hong Kong Police quickly pulled up to ask what I was doing.

I replied,

"You see that aircraft over there".

"Yes".

"Well, my UK taxes paid for it."

They let me off.

--
        David dubya Wilson

Comment

VC-10 is in the picture!
          Nostalgic airport. You can see Royal Air Force (RAF) VC-10 over the US military plane!. VHHH. Airport. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

One of my favourite VC10 memories was watching two of them from BOAC, kicking up monsoon spray scooting down the runway towards the terminal at Paya Lebar, Singapore in 1971. My economy class seat back to blighty seemed to have as much space then as business class has these days. We dropped down into a biblical looking town called Teheran. In those days some of my workmates would take six months of to take a landrover to India. Thanks to those, like Sam_F who point to legacy airport photos. Always welcome.
            --
            David dubya Wilson

Comment

An amazing approach, especially in a 747-400.

Comment

Originally posted by David Tweddle View Post
                An amazing approach, especially in a 747-400.
                Man, oh man. Lol. Yes. But I've never expected one single answer, with only one smiley as a start for this topic. So, thanks for your answer!

We all don't know why we are here, or do we. I'd bet, even Brian still wonders what this strange threadstarter is aiming at. First of all, good to see that Brian again is online from time to time,
                after all those years... 15 years or more in his case.

I can explain that. The origin was a conversation between Kent Olsen and me, and you better don't ask me about the name of that topic. Somewhen he mentioned the magic words,
                Kai Tak,

and I was so keen to try to use 4 to 7 photos concerning Kai Tak, in a topic, and Kent Olsen is able to second that, which originally was not about Kai Tak.

So. Now I still wonder what was my mistake. Too much photos within one topic, or more than 1 Kai Tak photo in a topic without the name "Kai Tak"?

So. This is the topic with the name Kai Tak. I probably still have two problems, 1) my computer is not the slowest here on this platform. And 2) the original conversation between Kent Olsen and me somehow is interrupted,
                because with the Kai Tak photos #4 to #7 I got a jetphotos system error,
                which caused me to turn off my computer for 48 or 72 hours.

So. I own one Kai Tak photo from the year 1972, which afaik is not (yet) in the jetphotos database. Assumed that the photographer is still alive, you can leave me a message if you don't like to see your photo here!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Kai Tak Airport 1972 01.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	1157225
                Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-03-25, 21:32. Reason: Kai Tak 1972.

Comment

..and, I can still hear Alex with his words, man this ole bugger is old enough to know the rules, although he never said something like that to me. But he's completely right.

More than 2 forum entries within 1 topic and within 12 hours and you'll receive an 'I hate spammers' answer. So, I probably have a third problem. Since more than 45 years I have gathered

alot of aviation stories, which don't always fit into one SMS .

Still to the #7 here in this topic, yes, Kai Tak was a complete madness and probably not something for 'the sunday motorglider pilot' in us.

Probably I even have a fourth problem. I only know Kai Tak from photos, although I'm definitely old enough to have been there as a LH-B744 passenger. And my fifth problem,
                  I'm old enough to know Kai Tak from photos.

So, if you like, I can add another picture.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kai Tak Checker Board 1995 01.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	633.5 KB
ID:	1157229
                  This time a jetphotos Original, with the original jetphotos watersign. Sometimes I don't know how good the jp database is when it comes to preserving
                  "old jetphotos" . So, this one again comes here from my computer. The jetphotographer imho is also a jetphotos Original..
                  But I don't know if he's still active, so, without his name until he insists to be published with his full name.
                  The Kai Tak checkerboard back then in the year 1995 .
                  Or, with the words of the Kai Tak CT as I assume it, 'this is VHHH speaking, cleared for rwy 13, the checkerboard right turn, Korean Air Cargo B742.'

I so very very much love it!
                  Last edited by LH-B744; 2023-03-25, 22:58. Reason: Cleared for rwy 13, the checkerboard right turn.

Comment

Working...
                  X