Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any plans for MORE expansions for Southwest??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any plans for MORE expansions for Southwest??

With the mentioning of the gates and terminals at Islip in another post, I wonder if they will add MORE airports?? They certainly need some to fly in the northwest-north region like montanna and wisconsin, and even denver, Colorado because UAL won't be seen as much as they used to be. Heck, wyoming sure would like to seem some Southwest planes fly there as well!! Maybe south Carolina, or somehwere in Georgia-not ATL but somewhere..Pennsylavania, while it may seem like Southwest flies EVERYWHERE- really they don't, they fly just barely over half of the states in the US. Maybe they need to start there own little service within the states of Alaska and Haiwaii, Alaska is certainly big enough like Texas and California to start flights within the state. Maybe fly to more Illinois cities like AirTran and ATA did, Moline, Quad, bloomington, just to name a few cities that has AirTran flying for. Its just a thought....hopefully in the near future it will be a defineite possiblity. Anyone want to comment on this?

I have read in the Philadelphia Inquirer that Southwest MAY expand and play into Allentown-Bethelem Airport in Allentown, PA. I'm hoping they do, it will bring more traffic to the area.

TurkPHL
    Turkish Airlines: Journey To Pleasure

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by TurkPHL:
      I have read in the Philadelphia Inquirer that Southwest MAY expand and play into Allentown-Bethelem Airport in Allentown, PA. I'm hoping they do, it will bring more traffic to the area.

TurkPHL

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Could you please maybe post a link to the story or whatever-I would be interested in reading it. Or was it just a brief news section?

Comment

It was a brief section in the paper, couldnt find it on the internet. srry

TurkPHL
        Turkish Airlines: Journey To Pleasure

Comment

I think Southwest should stick with exactly what it's been doing over the past 25 years. No smaller spinoff airlines operating in specific regions (Hawaii, Alaska, etc.), and controlled expansion into airports which desperately need their service. Keep the route system simple (while not relying on congested hubs), keep the fleet standardized, and keep the planes in the air and off the gate as much as humanly possible.

The fact is, Southwest's current business model has kept them profitable over the past 15 years, while other countless airlines have gone the path of bankruptcy.

They're obviously doing something right over there, and to change that would be foolhardy.
          Trump is an idiot!
          Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Whoa, buddy, slow down! Hawaii, Alaska does not fit their current business model. I am sure WN has 100 cities under consideration – everything from Medford, Oregon to Bangor, Maine to Fort Myers to Allentown. And I am sure there are 200 cities lobbying for WN service. I second what Mr. Kilroy has to say above – everything except profitability as WN has gone 29 years making a profit!
            JR FlyingTexan

Comment

quote:
              Originally posted by FlyingTexan:
              Whoa, buddy, slow down! Hawaii, Alaska does not fit their current business model. I am sure WN has 100 cities under consideration – everything from Medford, Oregon to Bangor, Maine to Fort Myers to Allentown. And I am sure there are 200 cities lobbying for WN service. I second what Mr. Kilroy has to say above – everything except profitability as WN has gone 29 years making a profit!

They have not had a year in the last 29 that was unprofitable?

Who is WN anyway...
              Coyote

Comment

WN = Dallas based SOUTHWEST Airlines. Because they do things the right way and fly only Boeing 737s, they have posted a profit for the past 29 or 30 years!!!
                JR FlyingTexan

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by FlyingTexan:
                  WN = Dallas based SOUTHWEST Airlines. Because they do things the right way and fly only Boeing 737s, they have posted a profit for the past 29 or 30 years!!!

Thought they were SWA, not WN - Thats what I could not get my head around.. I know SWA, i prefer them when I travel because they are cheap. [img]laff.gif[/img]
                  Coyote

Comment

OK, OK, OK, HOOOLLLDDDD IT!! I didn't say change aircrafts, or services, or any of that. I meant expand more by flying to more secondary airports.

Chris K and Flying Texan-- I didn't mean for any spin off like Southwest Express, I mean since you obviously can't fly a 737 from LAX-jueanau(Sp?) or Haiwaii, to LAX over an ocean. They would have to remain in the state. So they still keep the name Southwest-I most certainly did not mean an express airline or a cheaper low cost airline-THEY ARE THE LOW COST AIRLINE!!

I also read in a magazine on how Southwest stays away from ATL because of so many delays and not enough time to keep flying etc. So I wonder how is LAX any different from ATL. It is just as busy, handles international flights, and has a wide range of ways to travel through.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Coyote:
                      Thought they were SWA, not WN - Thats what I could not get my head around.. I know SWA, i prefer them when I travel because they are cheap. [img]laff.gif[/img]

Same here-where does WN come from Western?

Comment

As a WN user from Islip, it sux that we are losing service to PVD. Heck, I got engaged in Sept. 2002 in PVD after flying in/out of ISP the same day.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of more expansions to happen now that UAL has declared bankruptcy.
                        Witness the miracle of flight.
                        Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

As for WN making a profit, just look at their stock performance chart.

9/30/02: $12.48/share
                          12/11/02: $16.13/share (at the close of business day)

BUY!
                          View my photos at JP.Net
                          Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
                          Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

WN is the two letter airline code for Southwest.
                            JR FlyingTexan

Comment

quote:

I have read in the Philadelphia Inquirer that Southwest MAY expand and play into Allentown-Bethelem Airport in Allentown, PA.

I heard (and, please everyone do not blow this out of proportion) – I read on some aviation board somewhere that WN officials have visited ABE (Allentown) several times last year. That is great news for the Philly area. But, I believe that WN will not add any more cities until 2004.
                              quote:

I mean since you obviously can't fly a 737 from LAX-Juneau or Hawaii, to LAX over an ocean.
                              Yes you can. Aloha flies their ETOPS equipped Boeing 737-700s (Next Generation) from Vancouver, Burbank, Orange County, and other western points some 3,000+ miles over water. I’m sure Juneau is possible.

quote:

So I wonder how is LAX any different from ATL.

I think ATL has worse on time stats than LAX.

quote:

Where does WN come from?

Hell if I know, some code like HP, EK, NJ, etc. Just weird that they could not use SW.

BTW - ISP-PVD service is/was WN's shortest flight.
                              How long was it? How long is that drive, taking ferry?

Its all good, y’all. And BTW – ‘Southwest737’ I respect your passion for this carrier because they are the benchmark of how to run and airline the right way and how to make $$$, and lots of it too!
                              JR FlyingTexan

Comment

Working...
                              X