Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any plans for MORE expansions for Southwest??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More from the Southwest Website--

Did you know...

Nonstop service between Baltimore Washington Int'l, MD and
    San Jose, CA begins January 12, 2003!

To celebrate we are offering $79 one-way Internet Specials on
    flights between Baltimore Washington Int'l, MD and San Jose, CA
    for travel between January 7 and April 4, 2003.

So looks like they are expanding some more coast-coast non-stop flights. Even better news!!! Just maybe we will see Canada flights and Mexico flights in the near future!!!

Comment

Found more non-stop service involving SWA...

*Service between Cleveland, OH and Reno/Tahoe, NV
      begins January 12, 2003.

Comment

OPNLguy,

Do you know anything of the rumor that we actually own gate space in COS? The rumor I heard is that when SWA bought (or leased) the ex-West Pac airplanes,gate space in COS was part of the deal. I know COS has been a rumor for years and years.....I went to the Message in the Field in Chicago and Jim and Colleen would not answer any questions on that subject. Like I said......the next couple years at SWA will be very interested for SWA. Good thing I started buying stocks! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

BTW....thanks for clearing up the HNL proving run issues...thats what I get from hanging around pilots! I heard the 700ER rumor from the pilots too........guess I need to check out the Boeing website.

[ December 17, 2002 11:39 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Canyon Blue ]

Comment

Not aware of any gate deal that was tied to the former WestPac aircraft, but then again, it doesn't make much sense. Westpac didn't own any aircraft, and they were all leased aircraft, from several lessors. The aircraft lessors had zip to do with the facilities at COS, which are owned by the city there.

Aloha is flying 737-700s from CA to HI, and while they may have some equipment differences (ETOPS kind of stuff) than our stock -700s, they still show up in Bill Harms' database as -700s, and not -700ERs. I'm at a loss to figure what the pilots you mention were talking about. It's not like you can get anymore fuel onboard a -700 without resorting to a new wing design (which wouldn't make it a -700 anymore) or adding extra tanks in the rear bin (which would reduce the volume available for bags/mail/freight etc.)

Stay tuned!

Comment

I believe that the extra tank (or tanks) would be in the rear baggage bins like in the BBJ. I can't find anything about it on the Boeing website....so it's another rumor. In any case SWA would'nt be needing that much fuel for a long time. Do you know what the future plans for the fleet is.....I know the -200s are gone by '04 but I haven't heard anything about the -300s. Not that I think the company should get rid of them but the "Kitty Hawk" sisters are 18 years old now. Like I said in an earlier post I think the -500 fleet will be heading to the desert next. Any Opinions?

Comment

I think both the -300s and -500s will be here for awhile.

Assuming that we plan to keep aircraft for 25-30 years like some of the -200s, that means even the oldest -300s still have another 7-12 years of service life remaining.

On the -500s, 8 of the 25 are leased, and I'm guessing the other 17 are paid off by now, or getting close to it, so the economics would still be good (revenue generation at less cost).

As far as the differences in seating capacity, we've lived with about 60 being 122-seaters for the last few years (-200s plus -500s), so living with 25 (once the -200s are gone) won't be too tough...

Comment

I kind of figured that what they have more -300 version than the other 737's. I wonder if SWA will buy the -800 and -900? Any chance of that????

[ December 18, 2002 10:29 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Southwest737 ]

Comment

Also, whats with the Wrights amendment??

Southwest Airlines Flight Restrictions at Dallas Love Field
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wright & Shelby Amendments

Travel into and out of Dallas Love Field is subject to the limitations of the Wright and Shelby Amendments. Federal law prohibits Southwest from offering transportation for sale between Dallas Love Field and any point beyond Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Mississippi, and Alabama.

Can someone explain why Southwest will not allow us to book flights into Dallas Love Field unless living in states mentioned above?

Comment

Crap – that is what the Wright Amendment is. Total crap! Just one of the many negative side affects when politicians get involved in civil aviation.

Here is how to circumvent it; Legally WN cannot sell you DAL-LAX. Purchase DAL-ABQ and then ABQ-LAX. And because WN does not have ticketing/pricing practices like the cartel carriers, this is affordable.
                    JR FlyingTexan

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by FlyingTexan:
                      Crap – that is what the Wright Amendment is. Total crap! Just one of the many negative side affects when politicians get involved in civil aviation.

Here is how to circumvent it; Legally WN cannot sell you DAL-LAX. Purchase DAL-ABQ and then ABQ-LAX. And because WN does not have ticketing/pricing practices like the cartel carriers, this is affordable.

Hopefully it works.!!!

But why is it illegal for them to sell tickets like that???

Comment

while this is not an "expanding" story its more good news for southwest customers...

DALLAS, Dec. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Members of Southwest Airlines'
                        (NYSE: LUV) Rapid Rewards frequent flyer program will keep right on earning
                        double credit for online bookings at southwest.com, the airline announced
                        today.
                        "Customers love this bonus promotion," said Debra Benton, Southwest's
                        director of loyalty marketing. "Now, members of our frequent flyer program,
                        Rapid Rewards, can earn double credit for trips booked and flown by
                        June 6, 2003." (Previous deadline was April 4, 2003.)
                        Double credit was first introduced to southwest.com Customers in 1997.
                        Since then, the promotion has been renewed many times because of Customer
                        demand.
                        Here's how it works: Customers in the Rapid Rewards frequent flyer
                        program normally receive two credits for each roundtrip (or one for each one-
                        way). It takes 16 credits or eight roundtrips to get a free ticket. With
                        double credit, that same traveler receives a free ticket in as few as four
                        roundtrip flights purchased online at southwest.com and flown by June 6, 2003.
                        At the elite level, Southwest offers members who fly 50 roundtrips (or earn
                        100 credits) within 12 months a Companion Pass, which allows a member to
                        designate a traveler to fly with them free of charge for 12 months. Again,
                        with double credit for booking online, it would take only 25 roundtrips!
                        Rapid Rewards is an industry-leading frequent flyer program because of its
                        simplicity. Once an award ticket is earned (by flying or using preferred
                        partners), the ticket is automatically sent to the Customer -- free travel
                        fast with no hassle!
                        "Southwest, like no other program in the industry, has no capacity
                        controls in its frequent flyer program," Benton said. "That means, other than
                        limited blackout dates, a Customer can redeem an award ticket for a seat on
                        any flight as long as there is a seat available -- there is no waiting six
                        months or dealing with limited seats. Rapid Rewards is truly the program that
                        frequent flyers can actually use."
                        Southwest serves 19 of the top 25 destinations chosen by frequent flyers
                        to visit when they redeem their award travel.
                        The refreshingly real Rapid Rewards program also has been recognized by
                        InsideFlyer magazine as giving its members great Customer Service, outstanding
                        bonus promotions, and incredible redemption. The airline has won several
                        "Freddie Awards" by InsideFlyer over the years and has been given high marks
                        for many program elements, including "Best Bonus Promotion" and "Program of
                        the Year" in 2002.
                        Southwest is the nation's fourth largest carrier in terms of Customers
                        boarded. The airline currently operates more than 2,800 daily flights to
                        59 airports in 58 cities in 30 states. Southwest employs more than
                        36,000 Employees nationwide.

]http://www.southwest.com

Anyone here a Rapid Reward person for SWA??

Comment

Southwest expansion?

Here is an idea.

Medford, Oregon!

United Airlines is pulling out of the Medford market. (MFR-SFO) on 1/7/03. United Airlines has a average 75% load factor on this flights (A319 and B-737-300/500). I wish Southwest Airlines would start flying into Medford, OR (from Oakland, CA) to replace the hole in the market left by UAL. That would be nice! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

To Canyon Blue and Southwest737 I have these comments.
                            Do both of you work for Southwest? If so, what job do you perform? Are both of you in management, marketing, revenue forecasting, etc.? Are you actually qualified to make the statements you've made above or are you just actually wishing a "pipe dream"?

The reason I ask these questions is this; I do not see Southwest offering service to ANY international destination. Not at least in the next 20 years! They have plenty of opportunity to grow in the US and do you have any idea what a pain in the a** it is to operate international flights? Customs, immigration, spraying down the plane, etc. !! Southwest is all about quick turn-arounds and keeping their planes in the air, that will NOT happen if they begin to fly international routes! There are a ton of cities here in the US "begging" Southwest to start service to their cities, so I just don't see international service ever happening, it would not fit Southwest's business model of frequent service and quick turn-arounds.

Just my two cents worth!

Jay

Comment

Jay--

I am a just a big happy fan of Southwest and I do plan on working for them, but unfortuantly I don'y work there. Most of my comment are based on rumors usually healed with facts, and CanyonBlue actually does work for Southwest, I belive he is training of some sort--I will let him explain it to you. My comments about SWA making new roytes were true, and I poisted the two roputes, Clevland to Reno and BMW-SJC round trip. Thats it, bye.

Comment

I do not see Southwest offering service to ANY international destination. Not at least in the next 20 years! They have plenty of opportunity to grow in the US and do you have any idea what a pain in the a** it is to operate international flights? Customs, immigration, spraying down the plane, etc. !! Southwest is all about quick turn-arounds and keeping their planes in the air, that will NOT happen if they begin to fly international routes! There are a ton of cities here in the US "begging" Southwest to start service to their cities, so I just don't see international service ever happening, it would not fit Southwest's business model of frequent service and quick turn-arounds.

While everything you say does make a very valid point, and I myself don't see SWA flying to international countries although I have mentioned it would be nice.....Canyon Blue does work for Southwest, and I will take his word against anyone elses for the fact that he knows what he is speaking of and the fact that HE WORKS FOR SOUTHWEST. I can see SWA flying to DEN UNLESS UAL comes back after Ch. 11. Like I said earlier...They have to expand more in the North-Northwest region area. Maybe fly to more airports, like quincy, Il and Moline, and etc, like the cities AirTran flies to then we can see some tough competitions!!!!! [img]nod.gif[/img] . But for now, SWA is cool where its at, and they shouldn't change it (even though I want them to... [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) because if its working..why change it and then ruin it...hmmh?

[ December 23, 2002 10:01 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Southwest737 ]

Comment

Working...
                                X