Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas fleet downsize admit other things

Taken from insider infomation and the business section for local newspaper

Qantas is to retire 6 elderly 743's and retire the whole fleet of 767-200ER's amid over capacity as soon as possible. Spokesman said due to hte SAR virus our booking on both domestic and international are down a whole whopping 21%, Qantas also forcasted a profit warning for this finincial year news of this sent there stocks down 25% in one day.

Things are looking bleeck for Qantas less than 1week ago the planned purchase of 21.25% of tasman carrier Air New Zealand got rejected by some top New zealand offical, Qantas is seeking to cut 2500jobs out of its 30 000 strong workforece ranging from Pilots to Reservation Staff

Bruce
    Some people in today's society are so thick!

Well I'm sure that now it's more cost-effective to use higher density 737 services domestically as opposed to 767s. It seems that Qantas' stellar 2002 has come to an abrupt ending.

Are there any chances of Qantas picking up a plane sized between a 767-300 and 747-400? With the retirement of the older 747s among others are Qantas looking at the 777, A340, or international A330's? I'm sure there are those 747 flights to destinations offering far more capacity than the route's load factors dictate. It would be more efficient to get a slightly smaller lower costing aircraft.

Comment

I don't see Qantas getting the 777. They need a 4 engined jet on many international routes.
      Andy

Comment

A340 perhaps?

Comment

If they want anything smaller than the B 747 then they will probably get some A 340's.
          Andy

Comment

Richard, I'm pretty sure that Qantas already plans to be using a bunch of Airbus A330s on international routes throughout SE Asia. (I think A330-300s are on their way...) As far as the 777 goes, Boeing flew their 777 on its World Tour through Sydney largely for the benefit of Qantas, but they didn't feel it fitted their game plan. For shame. Who knows? I might be more inclined to fly my nation's flag carrier if they had a decent plane like the 777. :P
            AIRIGAMI.NET
            http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

The 777 would look good in QF colors! Hey, maybe even a nice Wunala scheme.

Oh well, it's a shame. Looks like Boeing is loosing some ground to Airbus down under....At least they still have the domestic fleet!

Comment

Boeing losing out to Airbus down under? Yes and no.

Firstly, yes: Air New Zealand is dumping its 737s (and I assume 767s) in favour of A319/A320/A321s.

Secondly, no: Virgin Blue recently rejected approaches from Airbus and elected to stay with 737s for the long-term. (The policy of Virgin Blue's international arm is yet to be seen).

Thirdly, kind of: Although Qantas is taking on Airbus A330s and A380s, this is not really a huge trend by Qantas towards Airbus. They've just taken delivery of brand-new 747-400ERs and a bunch of new 737-800s. The Airbus A380 is really the only Airbus plane that Qantas specifically sought - they picked up the A330s as part of a 'sweetener' at bargain basement prices included in the massive A380 deal.
                AIRIGAMI.NET
                http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

Poor choice of words on my part. But one can't say Airbus hasn't made any advance on Boeing territory.

Comment

Hi,
                    Its a shame they are retiring the B747-300s, they suit QF's livery.

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

Working...
                    X