• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Wins Flying Lessons - Crashes Plane

Student, Instructor Survive Plane Crash Near Lyons
    Pilot Had Won Flying Lesson Through An Essay Conest

POSTED: 6:46 pm MST November 14, 2004
    UPDATED: 7:00 pm MST November 14, 2004

LYONS, Colo. -- A student who won flying lessons in an essay contest and his instructor crashed a single-engine Cessna early Sunday morning.

Benjamin Dotterweich, of Longmont, and pilot Ross Sutcliff walked away from the crash, which occurred near Lyons in the Heil Ranch Open Space, according to the Boulder County Sheriff's Office.

Dotterweich had won the lessons from Air West Co. after entering a contest at Silver Creek High School in Longmont.

It was his first lesson Sunday.

Dotterweich told sheriff's investigators it began with them climbing, descending and turning. The aircraft then climbed above low-lying clouds.

When it descended back through the clouds, the plane clipped some trees and crashed into a large tree, the sheriff's office said.

The men called authorities with a cellular phone at 9:41 a.m., which dispatchers used to find the downed plane at 11:41 a.m., the sheriff's office said.

The Federal Aviation Administration will investigate the crash.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Man are they lucky. I wonder if there will be a second lesson?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingcat
      Man are they lucky. I wonder if there will be a second lesson?
      Sure is - its called "Flight Theory" and is taught by the NTSB.

-Sturla

Comment

What a dumb incident, why decend through* the clouds when in VFR, and certain when the ground is right below. Thats what we have an altimiter for. Stupidity plays a huge role in this case.
        Ryan Davis
        Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
        www.flyerguide.net

Comment

- The baby will be back -

Comment

Originally posted by ExpressJet145
            What a dumb incident, why decend through* the clouds when in VFR, and certain when the ground is right below. Thats what we have an altimiter for. Stupidity plays a huge role in this case.
            Perhaps the CFI was demostrating an instrument approach to the student

Perhaps they lost an engine and had to decend through the clouds

There are a lot of variables, no pilot in his right mind would just fly through low lying clouds and plant the airplane into the ground

-Adam

Comment

In all do respect, who brings a student up in IFR to shoot an approach with his first hour or so? Seriously. It says they didnt loose an engine, but came out of the clouds and clipped a tree, then impacted a large one if my memory serves me correctly.
              Ryan Davis
              Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
              www.flyerguide.net

Comment

Originally posted by ExpressJet145
                In all do respect, who brings a student up in IFR to shoot an approach with his first hour or so? Seriously. It says they didnt loose an engine, but came out of the clouds and clipped a tree, then impacted a large one if my memory serves me correctly.
                Nobody, you dont shoot an IFR with a kid who probably didnt even know wtf a yoke is.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns

Nobody, you dont shoot an IFR with a kid who probably didnt even know wtf a yoke is.
                  Never heard of shooting an IFR

Comment

lawyers everywhere are drooling

Comment

Well the altimeter doesn't account for tree height does it? Maybe they should use a device like a fish finder you see in those fishing tournaments, where it tells you the distance of what is below you.
                      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

device like a fish finder
                        generally known as SONAR
                        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Here is probably one who crashed his flying carreer on the professionnal side !
                          On the log, first entry, a crash !
                          Alain
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

A buddy of mine crashed on his first flight on his first job.

He was dropping parachuters and the engine quit (oil line came loose ands oil everwhere but in the engine). He put the acft down in a potato field. We call him Spud now.

Nobody was hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                              A buddy of mine crashed on his first flight on his first job.

He was dropping parachuters and the engine quit (oil line came loose ands oil everwhere but in the engine). He put the acft down in a potato field. We call him Spud now.

Nobody was hurt.
                              LMAO. Spud.
                              Ryan Davis
                              Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
                              www.flyerguide.net

Comment

Working...
                              X