Line number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line number?

What does the line number by the Boeings mean?

Re: Line number?

Originally posted by harrier
    What does the line number by the Boeings mean?
    I think it means how many of that plane type have been built, including that number. I'm not 100% sure though.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

To elaborate on what PT737SWA said, it is the number of that aircraft off the production line, so the first 747, now with the Museum of Flight, is line # 1, and the recently closed 757 production line finished with line # 1050, matching the total number of 757's built. The line number is used with Boeing and McDonnell Douglas aircraft because the construction (or serial) number is assigned when the plane is ordered, and does not denote the actual sequence of airframes. Other manufacturers use construction numbers that follow more closely the production line, although numbers may be skipped if orders are cancelled early on.
      So many planes, so little time....

Comment

Originally posted by justplanesmart
        To elaborate on what PT737SWA said, it is the number of that aircraft off the production line, so the first 747, now with the Museum of Flight, is line # 1, and the recently closed 757 production line finished with line # 1050, matching the total number of 757's built. The line number is used with Boeing and McDonnell Douglas aircraft because the construction (or serial) number is assigned when the plane is ordered, and does not denote the actual sequence of airframes. Other manufacturers use construction numbers that follow more closely the production line, although numbers may be skipped if orders are cancelled early on.
        Everything is said chrystal clear.

Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

The line number corresponds to the serial number of the aircraft of that type. Serial Number is the serial number assigned by the manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
          X