7e7 may soon become 787

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7e7 may soon become 787

After months of negotiations, delays and political intrigue, The Boeing Co. will finally get its long-awaited order today from Chinese airlines for 60 787 jetliners.

That's right: 787s

Boeing will announce not only its biggest 7E7 order to date, but that it will give the plane the next name in its 7-series of jets, which began with the 707, according to people familiar with the deal.

After a contract is signed, the deal would be worth about $7.2 billion at the jet's $120 million list price. The six Chinese airlines ordering the 7E7 are likely getting significant discounts.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer first reported last month that in keeping with tradition, Boeing had decided to rename its new jet the 787 but was holding off on any announcement until it landed the China order.

The number 8 is considered lucky in China.

Boeing would not confirm how many 7E7s the six Chinese airlines will order, but sources have told the paper for months that the number would be about 60. A person with knowledge of the order confirmed that number again yesterday.

A ceremony to sign a preliminary agreement for the planes will be held at the Commerce Department in Washington, D.C.

Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Hehe, Boeing should market a new plane as the all new 888-800, orders galore!

4Engines4LongHaul

Comment

It's about time, the Dreamliner becomes the 787. Good to see Boeing keeping its numbers.
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow
        Hehe, Boeing should market a new plane as the all new 888-800, orders galore!
        Would definitely be enticing to Asian Carriers . Good to see it is now official, although I still prefer the "7E7" moniker over any "7(enter number)7" version.

-Colin

Comment

I think this is a true statement! Only a few weeks ago I had heard that they had decided to keep it the 7E7 after spending so much money on marketing it. People liked 7E7. I am not a big fan of 787 as a name. I would have prefered 808,818 or 7E7. Oh well, they didnt ask for my young opnion or I would have given it to them.
          THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
          Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
          George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Boeing just made it official a few minutes ago in an internal e-mail.

Comment

[QUOTE=uy707]It's about time, the Dreamliner becomes the 787. Good to see Boeing keeping its numbers.
              Alain[/QUOTE

I agree . I think they should also name their next airliner 797, then start on letters like 7E7

Comment

It official

Boeing Gives the 7E7 Dreamliner a Model Designation
                Friday January 28, 3:13 pm ET
                Boeing Continues Proud Tradition of 7-Series with 787

SEATTLE, Jan. 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Boeing Company (NYSE: BA - News) today gave Boeing Commercial Airplanes' newest airplane -- the 7E7 Dreamliner -- an official model designation number of 787. The airplane now will be known as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
                "We used 7E7 to highlight the airplane's dramatic efficiency advantages," said Alan Mulally, president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "All those advantages and more continue with this official model designation for the airplane."

Since the naming of the initial 707, all Boeing commercial jets have been named in succession based on the 7-7 formula: 717, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767 and 777 up to the latest Boeing commercial jet transport, the 787.

The model designation comes at the same time the company announced orders from the People's Republic of China for 60 of the airplanes. The airplanes would be delivered to six Chinese carriers -- Air China, China Eastern, China Southern Airlines, Hainan Airlines, Shanghai Airlines and Xiamen Airlines.

"Incorporating the 8 at the time of the China order is also significant because in many Asian cultures the number 8 represents good luck and prosperity," said Mulally.

Tradition at Boeing has been that airplanes in development are given a letter designation and at time of launch are given a number. The 757 started life as the 7N7, for instance. The 767 was the 7X7 and the 777 was the 767-X.

Comment

yes, a very great news.

Comment

I knew it had to happen. Can't wait to see it fly!

Comment

Working...
                    X