Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Wind landings for large planes

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. My question is directed to the transport pilots amongst you, or anyone else in the know for that matter.

Myself I am a lowtime CPL holder. Here is my 1st question:

With the lighter gear I have been flying so far, you can deal with quite a bit of crosswind, up 25 KTS.

You crab on your approach and then straighten out and come in winglow for the last half mile or so.

The other method is to fly the crab all the way into the flare and then straighten out before the wheels touch down. My instructor discouraged me from trying that, for good reason.

Now my question is: How do the heavies do it?

I see a lot of pictures where an airliner is about to flare with a fair amount of crab. I thought they would straighten it out JUST before touchdown.

But I read somewhere that the bogies on some planes are designed to take lateral deflections of up to 45 degrees and that they touch down with a crab.

I read that this is the only way they can do it because of the engine pods won't let them come in wing low ( they might scrape ).

I have seen pictures of planes with the main wheels firmly planted but with a fair bit of crab and the nose wheel is still up.

I have also seen pictures of 737's, and even Airbuses coming to touch down, wing low.

When a Dash-8 or Avro does a wing low, fine, I get it, they are high wing aircraft and the engines nor the wing tips are in the way.

At any rate, does anyone know what the rule of thumb is for landing larger aircraft in strong crosswinds.

How is it done?

Wing Low for high wing aircraft?
    ( ATR, DASH-8, AVRO, ANTONOV )

Crab for low wing aircraft?
    ( 737, Airbus, 747, MD80 e.t.c. )

Both?

If crabbing, do they kick the nose over before the main gear touches down or do they plant the airplane with the crab and then straighten nose as they fly the nosewheel down onto the runway?

Sorry, guys..but I am curious. Couldn't help it, so I had to ask.

So if anybody knows, tell us how it's done
    and most importantly WHY?

Regards

darbedar

X-Wind landings for large planes

OK.. instead of retyping, or copy+paste, just take a look at:

http://www.airbusdriver.net/AirbusNotes.doc

(scroll way down to the "Landing" section)

These are specific to Airbus.. but some of these will apply across the board...

Have fun!

Radomir

Comment

X-Wind landings for large planes

Thanks, what a great source of information.
      A little over my head, but very interesting.

Regards

Reza

Comment

Working...
      X