Luxembourg Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luxembourg Airport

I was wondering, as far as I know theres no passenger flights from LUX- continents other that europe and maybee N. Africa. Is there any reason for this? Is it because theres bigger airport near it liek in France or Germany? Or is it just there would be low passenger loads? Also I knwo Luxair had the 747sp a while bk did tehy operate long haul flights?

Thanx Goldy!

Luxemburg is a very small country, I doubt their would be demand for places in North America and Asia. The close proximity of other major airports DUS, CDG and FRA make it easy for one to make a connection to somewhere else.
    - The baby will be back -

Comment

That is true but for eg if you think about convienience would'nt it be good for like a ewr-lux-ewr maybee by CO on a 752 like 3times weekly?

Comment

Originally posted by rich7271
        That is true but for eg if you think about convienience would'nt it be good for like a ewr-lux-ewr maybee by CO on a 752 like 3times weekly?
        With CO I wouldn't be surprised . LUX has never had that many longhaul service anyway. I remember Loftleidir, the predecessor to Icelandair, was for a long time the home town carrier of LUX, offering direct flights to the US via KEF.
        And Tarom used LUX as a stop for their OTP-JFK service, because their A310s couldn't make it nonstop.

-Colin

Comment

Findel used to host quite a few long-hauls , DETAILS ;
          LUX had been a major Loftleidir and then Icelandair destination served daily from the States (JFK and BWI) with en route stop and crew change at KEF, for almost 3 decades when FI postionned itself as a TRUE transatlantic low-fare. FI operated 214 seat CL44D4, then DC.8s, mostly 63s together with , albeit very briefly a couple of DC.10-30s. Station was closed in 1991 when the DC.8s were replaced by today's 757s and FI re-postionned itself on the market.
          Loftleidir also had a sister company trading as Air Bahama serving Nassau and the Carribeans, initially with 707s, then DC.8-63s.
          Aeroflot
          used Findel as a favourite en route stop for their IL62s services limking SVO with HAV. One quad was even lost at LUX...
          Luxair
          747SP was in fact a Trojan Horse. It was operated by Trek Airways between LUX and JNB on a scheduled basis with Luxavia call signs and crewed by South Africans. The LG regalia and rego allowed the flights to proceed across Africa, which then banned SAA as a means in "struggling versus Apartheid". The experience was not new as LG previously operated 707-344Bs this way, full c/s, LG-LGS/LGT/LGU as for the regos. In addition to the fully painted 747SP, were also a pair of another SPs in basic c/s.
          A great time of spotting was seeing a SU IL62 parked beside the 707s and then the 747SP
          Alain
          Thanks for visiting
          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
          *JetPhotos*
          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Dont Luxair serve Tunisia/Morroco
            The upgraded Air Humberside
            NOW WITH FORUM
            NEW! Air Humberside Photos @ Fotopic
            The NEW UK Airport News

My pictures at PlaneSpotters.net

Comment

LuxAir has operated JFK-LUX 4 times a week using a wet-leased 767-300ER from CityBird of Belgium since late 2000. But the service was dropped right after 9/11 because of poor load.

Actually I would think that some kind of business class only service between NY and Luxembourg would make sense. Luxembourg is a banking centre and in the heart of the richest region within western Europe. There should be enough passengers for a 48-seat BBJ flying 5 times a week or so between NY and LUX.
              Next:
              None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                LuxAir has operated JFK-LUX 4 times a week using a wet-leased 767-300ER from CityBird of Belgium since late 2000. But the service was dropped right after 9/11 because of poor load.

Actually I would think that some kind of business class only service between NY and Luxembourg would make sense. Luxembourg is a banking centre and in the heart of the richest region within western Europe. There should be enough passengers for a 48-seat BBJ flying 5 times a week or so between NY and LUX.
                That might work rather than a full 757. I doubt their would be enough demand in the NY area for a LUX flight as it really does not have a lot of U.S. business or advertise much as a tourist destination to people.
                - The baby will be back -

Comment

In addition to itself, Findel is the un-official international gateway of Metz, and Nancy two of France major industrial and technology centers. Yes a BBJ or an ACJ can help filling a void.
                  Alain
                  Thanks for visiting
                  *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                  *JetPhotos*
                  Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Luxembourg Airport

BBJs can be right. Two of them were inough. ACJ (like A31 were also good, so they can (like BA) fly with them to LCY, disembarque the LCY passengers and load new passengers to JFK, ..., with also some passengers from Luxembourg, resting in the plane.

That would be very nice.
                    please take a look at my website: www.bae-atp.webs.com

flown on: Boeing 737-400/500/700wl/800wl * B767-300ER * MD11 * B757-200 * MD82 * ERJ 145 * E-190 * Q400 * BAe ATP * Jetstream J41 recently added: B717-200

flown with: TUIfly.de, Luxair, CityBird, Transavia.com, Air Moldova, AirFrance, Régional, West Air Luxembourg, skyexpress.gr recently added: Volotea

Comment

Working...
                    X