In Flight Scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Flight Scare

Has anyone on here ever had an in-flight scare. Perhaps severe turbulence. Rapid descension. Engine failure...etc??? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

In Flight Scare

Landing at Kai-Tak airport (HongKong)... I loved every second of it, but the guy sitting next to wasn't that comfortable with the idea of flying through a city instead of overhead. I guess some people might consider this as scary [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    But no, never a really serious incident.

Comment

In Flight Scare

this wasn't me...but once my father was on a BWIA flight, the ACA one broke down and he had to buy his way out on another airline...anyways, it was landing at Toronto and the flaps weren't deploying so they didn't a go around and they landed the second time. the pilot didn't tell any of the passengers about the situation, but they realized there were fire trucks following the aircraft to the terminal. plus my father has a really keen eye for not noticing/hearing/seeing flaps [img]nod.gif[/img] (then again it's obvious to anybody looking out the window, right?)

Comment

In Flight Scare

I wasn't on the flight but I watched a ATI DC-8 have a rudder hard over incident just after takeoff from YQX. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
        I was working on the ramp and watched the aircraft takeoff. When it got to about 2000' it suddenly banked hard to the right and lost about a thousand feet. They got it under control, declared an emergncy, dumped fuel and got back to the airport as fast as they could.
        The Captain said he had not done a manuover like that since he flew fighters in the USAF.

Comment

In Flight Scare

I was flying on a Thai Airways 777-300 from Bangkok to Hong Kong when suddenly while we were cruising, the sound of the engines suddenly died down. For a half minute the cabin was eerily quiet. I was travelling with my school during our school trip, the flight was pretty empty, 100 passengers at most. My friend and a teacher also noticed it and were a little worried about this thinking that both engines had failed. Amazingly enough, the plane remained stable and didn't begin to descend. Eventually the engines started up again. Relieved, we all returned to eating supper.
          An interesting fact, 777s are so aerodynamically advanced that if they were to loose both engines, they could easily glide to an airport. According to the Boeing website, for every foot the plane descends, it can supposedly glide forward 100 feet, this equates to a very impressive range of 37,000,000 feet or 1120km or 700mi (roughly) all without the use of its engines!!!

When I was young, my family and I flew an Air New Zealand 767 from Auckland to Honolulu. Unfortunately, a storm was brewing in our flight path. I must say, this is the only flight I can recall where we flew through a storm. As a little boy of 6, I was scared. The lightening was bright and the plane tossed about violently. I honestly thought at the time that our plane would crash. Thankfully it didnt

Comment

In Flight Scare

The one scare I had was serve turbulence on a CO Express ATR 42.

We were delayed 3 hours out of EWR due to bad weather in the area. Once we boarded the plane we taxied out and waited another hour before we took off. During that hour a serve thunderstorm passed through. Once we took off the climb was ok but 20 mins into the flight it started. All around the plane you saw dark convection clouds and the pilot was constantly banking sharply to avoid them. The turbulence was indescribable. At times it felt like we were going done hill, you know the same feeling you get when your on a roller coaster. Some of the overheads opened and luggage was thrown through the cabin, people started crying, and as I turned to see what the FA was doing, I saw her praying. The pilot decided to divert to Boston and landed safely. The plane was meet by rescue vehicles on landing; thankfully there were only some bumps and bruises from the fallen carry-ons. This was the only time I ever flew that I really thought we were going to crash.

Comment

In Flight Scare

The only flight that really scared me was when I was on a 767, headed for LAX, and about 20-15 minutes before landing one of the wings got struck by lightning, and I actually saw the saprks on the tip of the wing. The Captain didn't say much, but all went well, and we landed safely with no problems.
              My Pics!

Comment

In Flight Scare

Wow...OK, this is going to sound really stupid, but here goes:

NWA DC-10-30 AMS-BOM AUG 2000

In AMS

We were on the runway, and were picking up speed to rotate... and a main cabin bathroom door flings open. So of course, the plane stops, and returns to the ramp.Scared the crap out of our entire row, since we were pretty close to it... Pax were not allowed to exit the plane while they fixed the problem. We had to sit in the plane for around 3 hours while a group of technicians said that they couldn't/wouldn't fix the problem. So NWA put CAUTION: OUT OF ORDER tape on the door, and sealed it shut with what seemed to be duct tape. I am not joking. And then we continued on our merry way to BOM with out incident except for queues that ran long as hell for restrooms!

ATLcenter

Comment

In Flight Scare

I think the worst scare i ever had was while travelling from New Delhi to Bombay on Indian Airlines, some time in June. June is the season for heavy rain and winds in Bombay, and as luck had it, we had to run into Bombay's worst. I think we were about 45 minutes before landing, when we encountered the worst kind of turbulence ever. To make matters worse, it was night, and was pitch dark outside. The plane was jolted around violently, and everyone was scared out of their wits. You could hear the baggage being thrown around in the overhead bins. There was heavy rain, and lightning, and u could see nothing out of the window. The aircraft was rising and descending intermittently, throttling up and down quite often, and i really thought that we were never going to make it. Eventually though, we made a really bumpy but safe landing at Bombay. Boy! Was i relieved that the flight was over.

Comment

In Flight Scare

I have had the pleaseure of being on more than one flight that has missed multiple approaches due to heavy fog and stormy weather and had to divert to alternate airports. Primarily at small west coast (US) airports like ACV. Sometimes the pilots would make 3 separate attempts at getting down throught the soup before diverting to somewhere less foggy and with better instruments. No, not especially dangerous, but somewhat unsettling to the average passenger.
                    Also, once in early 1980s I was on a UAL 737 landing at SFO. Just after the wheels hit the runway the pilot went to full-throttle and we lifted off again after just a few feet on the ground. As we were circling around to get back in the landing cue he explained that a stray 747 had wandered onto the runway we were landing on... One of the exciting benefits of a runway layout with four intersecting runways?

Comment

In Flight Scare

I was on a US Airways Dash 8 between Hilton Head and Charlotte, we were flying at around 15000ft and around T-Storm clouds therefore experiencing turbulence. It was real bumpy but the worst part was when the whole back half of the aircraft seemed to drop and then bounce back up again. It was a real steep attitude that the aircraft had for that bump.
                      Gary R. Tinnes
                      Canada
                      See my photos:
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=391
                      See My Fantasy Airliner images:
                      http://www.geocities.com/fantasyairliners

Comment

In Flight Scare

I was once onbboard a Tupolev Tu-134 en route from Samara to Moscow. The flight was delayed several hours due to a terrible snow storm and Sheremtyevo 1 and 2 were both closed. I think we were the first to land there after it opened. It was a scary experience because I could not see a thing until the runway was right under us and at some point the plane was definetely skidding on the snow or oce or whatever it was on the runway, which scared the s**t out of me.
                        Other then that engine #2 failure on a Tu-154 a very long time ago, I was like 10 or something and I dont even remember where we were going.
                        MiGs ARE MASTERS

Comment

In Flight Scare

We were flying to SFB on an ATA L1011 we had severe turbulence and then had a rapid decension we lost about 1000ft pilot slammed on the engines full thrust and got us outta there and to be honenest it scared the crap out of me i normally don't mind turbulence.

Regards,
                          Dan [img]skeptical.gif[/img]

Comment

In Flight Scare

On a Metrojet 737-200 from BWI to MCO in November 1998 we hit a goose tore up to starboard engine. But we had just taken off and were climbing so when the engine died(and the goose) the pilot dropped the nose so it felt as if we were dropping. Since I was sitting behind the wing and the tailpipe of the engine ont he -200 continues past the end of the wing I had a good view of sparks and fire shooting from the engine. Later that day we flew BWI-PHL to get a plane to MCO we flew throught he worst turbulence i have everfelt (I've been through a t-storm on America West) and after the goose of the morning it was quite an exciting trip. The PHL-MCO trip was perfect and we finally reached MCO albeit 8 hours late

Comment

Working...
                            X