Delta 'bitterly disappointed' over losing China flights bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta 'bitterly disappointed' over losing China flights bid

Delta Air Lines has lost a bid to begin making nonstop flights to China.

Instead, the government awarded passenger flight rights to Continental and American airlines.
    The U.S. Department of Transportation announced the tentative awards Tuesday, which also gave UPS, FedEx, Northwest Airlines and Polar Air approval for more cargo flights. The Transportation Department gave the flight rights under terms of an updated U.S.-China air treaty.

The agency said it would issue a final decision on the awards after reviewing comments on its proposals. The comments are due March 4.

But for now, Atlanta-based Delta is left as the only one of the five largest airlines without nonstop flights to the world's most populous nation.

"We're bitterly disappointed," Delta spokesman John Kennedy said.

Beijing flights would have given the struggling airline another major Asian destination and a foothold in a travel market with huge potential.

Kennedy noted Chicago will eventually have three daily flights to China as a result of the government's decision, while Atlanta will have none.

"We are at a loss to understand why the DOT has chosen to increase service at an already established gateway while totally ignoring their own precedent of opening new gateways to underserved areas of the country," he said.

Delta said it plans to challenge the decision.

Currently, Northwest and United are the only U.S. carriers with nonstop flights to China. American plans to operate its new flights from Chicago, while Continental will fly from Newark, N.J.

The Transportation Department said it chose Continental because the Houston-based carrier proposed to begin offering daily nonstop flights to China from the East Coast a year earlier than Delta would have. New York is the largest U.S. market for flights to China, the agency said.

American Airlines, which is based in Fort Worth, beat out Delta with its application to fly from Chicago to Shanghai starting next year because it increases competition with United and Northwest airlines and serves a larger market than Delta's proposal.

Delta remains a smaller player in Asia, with flights to Tokyo and Mumbai, India. It also sells seats aboard China Southern flights between Los Angeles and Guangzhou, China.

China and the United States signed an aviation agreement last July to expand service between the two countries and drop most restrictions on each other's airlines.

The pact increases the numbers of passenger and cargo flights allowed by Chinese and U.S. carriers in stages over the next six years, rising from the current 54 per week to 249. The deal is intended to ease shortages of seats that have prompted complaints from tourists and business travelers.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...a_x.htm?csp=34
    - The baby will be back -

at least DL can still book the passengers on CO with skyteam..
    He who expected nothin......aint gonna be deceived-JR

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin

Kennedy noted Chicago will eventually have three daily flights to China as a result of the government's decision, while Atlanta will have none.
      ORD-PVG on AA
      ORD-PVG on UA

Whats the third, are the counting UA 857 which operates ORD-SFO-PVG?

As far as I know there are no ORD-PEK flights so what is the third flight he is reffering to?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave_333
        ORD-PVG on AA
        ORD-PVG on UA

Whats the third, are the counting UA 857 which operates ORD-SFO-PVG?

As far as I know there are no ORD-PEK flights so what is the third flight he is reffering to?

Dave
        United does fly ORD-PEK with a 777.
        Fly Delta Jets!

Comment

Did UAL fly to Canton?

Comment

I dont blame DL for being disappointed. ATL-PEK would have been a great money maker for DL which is something they really need right now.
            Fly Delta Jets!

Comment

Originally posted by delta767
              United does fly ORD-PEK with a 777.
              United does not fly ORD-PEK
              but
              ORD-HKG

Comment

United does not fly ORD-PEK
                but
                ORD-HKG
                As I thought. I was trying to get from PEK to ORD a few months ago and had to go through SFO and the flight terminated there. As far as I know UA 888 PEK-SFO is the only UA flight to Beijing.

So, any other takers on what that third ORD-China flight is that Kennedy was reffering to in his press conference in the original post?

Dave

Comment

United does not fly ORD-PEK but

ORD-HKG
                  According to their flight schedule, they do. Unless it is a 1 stop but it doesnt say that it is anywhere.
                  Fly Delta Jets!

Comment

According to their flight schedule, they do. Unless it is a 1 stop but it doesnt say that it is anywhere.
                    What flight number is it giving? If it is UA 888 then that flight operates out of SFO. If not then I stand corrected.

Dave

Comment

I just looked up the timetable and they do fly ORD-PEK with a 777 (850/851).

Comment

Of course they are disappointed. Does ATL have any China service? No.
                        Does AA offer service to almost 200 cities from ORD? no.
                        Does AA offer anywhere near as many connecting opportunities? No.
                        Even if I were unbiased (and not a politician), I would have chosen DL at ATL (and CO at EWR for that matter).

Comment

UA does offer a daily ORD-PEK direct, and i believe they said they are going to bring it up to 10X weekly (or maybe that was the HKG route).

I can understand DLs dissapointment. According to the report, AA was given the route to bring competition to the ORD-PVG route, but personally, I think that is a pretty lame excuse. Supposedly, the China route was between DL and CO, and CO got it because they would serve the NYC market, and because they would be able to start it a year earlier than DL. Kinda looks like they were planning on giving the PVG route to AA regardless.......
                          Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Originally posted by assghanistan
                            I can understand DLs dissapointment. According to the report, AA was given the route to bring competition to the ORD-PVG route, but personally, I think that is a pretty lame excuse. Supposedly, the China route was between DL and CO, and CO got it because they would serve the NYC market, and because they would be able to start it a year earlier than DL. Kinda looks like they were planning on giving the PVG route to AA regardless.......
                            It does seem that they pretty much had figured who would get what quite a while ago. Since AA was the only one to apply for PVG, they pretty much were going to get the flight no matter what. This competition was between CO and DL as they were both fighting for PEK.
                            Fly Delta Jets!

Comment

But I guess they aren't bitterly disappointed over the $5 billion dollars they've lost?

Comment

Working...
                              X