717 Stuff.....Why Not More?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 717 Stuff.....Why Not More?

Yeah so I was on an Airtran 717 last night and I spoke to the pilots before the flight and got some information.

First, the 717 is the most techologically advanced aircraft Boeing is producing at the moment according to them. Once all programmed, all they do is push the throttle forward and press the "Auto-Fly" or something and it does everything except lift off automatically.

Second, the Captain had a chance to fly the 737 and he said he "was a mess." There was all kinds of stuff all over the place and he liked the 717 better.

Another interesting fact is that the aircraft can do the following.

"Go around from 5 feet off the ground fully loaded ON ONE ENGINE."

So my question...why don't more airlines fly them?

BTW, seats were a little hard and there was less leg room compared to the AirTran 737.

Good question......from what i know it is expensive to operate for the amount of pax it carries.

Comment

Remarkable plane indeed, I do wish there were more of them around.
      UNITED-You're not just flying, you're flying the friendly skies.

Comment

It can carry 117 pax...fully loaded from what I learned yesterday. Why? We had all 117 pax onboard lol

Comment

well it also had Weight and Range problems.

Comment

It was never market to extent of the 737 series.

Comment

I asked this same question a while ago. The operating cost for a 737NG is almost the same as the 717-200. Only difference is the 737NG has about 15 more seats which means more money.
            Last edited by expoITHscohen; 2005-04-24, 22:36. Reason: 700th POST!!!!

Comment

The problem with the 717 was it competed to closely with the 737. I think the 717 are a much nicer plane to fly then the 737, much quieter and two-row seating.

Comment

Thats all McDonnell Douglas who came up with those sweet ideas, just look at the cockpit and it spells "MD".
                -Kevin

Comment

Good point about the cockpit. Looks almost like a mini-MD11 if you look at the screens. The throttle quadrant looks like that of an MD80. There's no trim tab either...it's all on the yoke

Comment

Originally posted by onlyboeingifly
                    from what i know it is expensive to operate for the amount of pax it carries.
                    I thought that the 717 was suposed to be fuel efficent, am I wrong?

Midwest Airlines - The Best Care In The Air

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                      Thats all McDonnell Douglas who came up with those sweet ideas, just look at the cockpit and it spells "MD".
                      Correct, it has the same cockpit as the MD-11.
                      - The baby will be back -

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                        Good point about the cockpit. Looks almost like a mini-MD11 if you look at the screens. The throttle quadrant looks like that of an MD80. There's no trim tab either...it's all on the yoke
                        Thats what I thought when I went in one at MSP.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

The 717 is a great aircraft, but when the design was bought by Boeing and it was set to compete with the 737s it was too tough to do.

Anyway, I love the plane. I fly them all the time and really can't get over hoe great they are.
                          First of all, the cabin is roomy. On FL, the Business class cabin is great. And in coach the only seats that i would avoide would be the last row of the aircraft.
                          Also, the cabin tends (ok maybe I am being too picky) to have better air circuation! I was on a 737 yesturday, (a full on) and the cabin could pick up every odor. On the 717, the air is always fresh.
                          The other great feature is the engine. Those Rolls-Royce engines are amazing! Pilots love them for their power, airlines love the fuel efficency as well as the fact that they are the most environmentally freindly jet engines in service, and passengers love the quiet cabins. In business class you can hardley hear them.
                          Well, now that I am done ranting, let me say this;
                          The 717 is a great plane and I wish that it could have gotten more orders.
                          But the ERJs and CRJs as well as the A318-A319s and the 737s have the market flooded and many other operaters would rather keep fleet commonolity rather than try new types.
                          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Speaking of circulating air, that thing is a pain in the ass. Every time the engines throttled up the air conditioner or something would get really loud. I could barely hear anything and I was sitting in 15F. The service wasn't all that great either but the pilots were EXTREMELY nice. My window was dirty on the outside as well...needless to say, I wasn't too happy. This was AFTER an hour delay because they overbooked and there was ATC delays in Boston. I found the coach seats hard as well. The 737 seemed to have a few more inches of leg room and was a little more comfortable.

Comment

• Working...
                              X