Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 787 Wing flex

Why the great wing flex? less drag?

I dont know, but the A380 is supposed to have 4 meters of wing flex I think. Obviously they found something good about it.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Dantheman, I think it is just mostly because it looks cool. Obviously (and I don't blame them) Boeing thinks cool looks are more important than accurate ones. But hey, it looks pretty damn cool, but I could not imagine there being that much wing flex (I am not an engineer though).
      - Fly United -
      My photos.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedFlyer
        Boeing thinks cool looks are more important than accurate ones.
        Really? Can you back that up? I would love to see a link.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN

The one time ill agree with yah Jeff.

Comment

The aircraft looks awrsome. So what's next with Boeing, A B797?? LOL. maybe they might make something bigger and better than the A380!?!?!?

JAT - More than flying

Comment

I'm no engineer as well, but I do know composites can sustain a much heavier degree of wing flex versus a traditional wing. It would be good to find out more detailed info about it.
              Bama sux, War Eagle!

Comment

well, I wish I had been paying more attention during this day in aerodynamics so I could go more in depth, but you'll have to deal with the short version instead. Some companies use wingflex to help make the wing more efficient in cruise. To get the plane off the ground sooner you need the wing to be at a higher angle of attack (the angle between the wing and the relative wind) so that it creates more lift. But once you're in the air the plane will usually be going fast enough that that extra built in AOA will cause more drag so if the wing twists forward a bit you'll have a lower AOA and less drag...

...at least that's sorta how i remember it.

Also dihedral (having the wings slope up from the fuselage) helps make the aircraft more stable about its lateral axis

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                  well, I wish I had been paying more attention during this day in aerodynamics so I could go more in depth, but you'll have to deal with the short version instead. Some companies use wingflex to help make the wing more efficient in cruise. To get the plane off the ground sooner you need the wing to be at a higher angle of attack (the angle between the wing and the relative wind) so that it creates more lift. But once you're in the air the plane will usually be going fast enough that that extra built in AOA will cause more drag so if the wing twists forward a bit you'll have a lower AOA and less drag...

...at least that's sorta how i remember it.

Also dihedral (having the wings slope up from the fuselage) helps make the aircraft more stable about its lateral axis
                  Thanks, that explains alot.
                  You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

dihedral. Think paper airplane wings.

Comment

It looks like it's flapping its wings

4Engines4LongHaul

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
                        The link is right here man!
                        - Fly United -
                        My photos.

Comment

Errr.... I was referring to this statement you made....

Originally posted by UnitedFlyer
                          Obviously (and I don't blame them) Boeing thinks cool looks are more important than accurate ones.
                          Not some link to another useless post on Anet.

Comment

Well, I guess I'm qualified to address this question. As some of you know, I'm a Stress Analysis engineer working on the 787 wing. My responsibility covers the wing finite element model. The FEM is a computer-based mathematical representation of the wing structure. It models the internal loads, strains, and deflections that the wing will experience in flight.

The wing deflection in the artist's rendering at the top of this thread is the real deal. In a level 1g cruise attitude, the tips of the wing are higher than the top of the fuselage. For a 2.5g dive maneuver, you'd see around 8m of vertical deflection at the tip.

Since I'm not an aerodynamicist, I can't speak for the efficiency gains that result from high wing deflection. Boeing's aero group has made a lot of advancements in computational fluid dynamics, which gives them the power to assess many more wing configurations than back in the day when they had to rely more heavily on wind tunnel data.

Additionally, the composite wing can handle larger deflections than an aluminum wing, because it won't develop fatigue cracks. With aluminum, you would have a higher risk of cracking in the lower surface, so you would have to make the panels thicker, creating a weight penalty. Of course, that in turn would reduce the wing deflection, defeating the purpose.

I remember remarking on how much the 777 wing flexed when I first saw it fly. That will pale in comparison to the 787 wing.

Comment

Thank you Verbal. I was eagerly waiting for your response to this thread since yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X