Alaska Has Laid off 472 Rampers at SEA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Has Laid off 472 Rampers at SEA

SEATTLE -- Alaska Airlines has hired Menzies Aviation to provide ramp services at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, the carrier's busiest hub, and is laying off 472 workers, the carrier announced Friday.

A statement issued by Alaska, like most traditional airlines hard-hit by rising fuel costs and fierce competition, said the move would save $13 million a year.

Edward W. White, vice president of ground operations, said displaced workers will be offered "a more lucrative severance package than that specified in the current contract" with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

The change affects baggage handlers and workers who guide planes into and out of terminal gates. Alaska Airlines, the dominant carrier on north-south routes along the West Coast, previously contracted out ramp services in 41 of its 56 destinations.

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Should have seen this coming a long time ago. If I'm not mistaken, AS already uses Menzies at most of their large stations including LAX and PDX.

Comment

They are getting one of the best severance packages I have ever seen. AS really didn't want to need to do this, but the costs savings are simply too great.

AS told the union that their jobs were going to go. The contract AS offered them had their union jobs being cut in 4 years. Instead of taking that, they decided to fight it for 7 months, and then AS said enough was enough and fired them all now, rather than in 4 years, saving them even more money.

Seems to me the rampers cut of their nose to spite their face. (why I hate unions). Having a job for the next 4 years seems a lot better than being unemployed now(especially in Seattle).

good/apauling video for those who can see it. http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor...26db5f92d.html

Edit: To be fair this contract http://www.iam143.org/asa_rssa_summary.htm SUDIDILYUCKS. Even so, it is better than what they got.
      THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
      Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
      George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Explains a lot now. I arrived last evening on AC flight 541 from Toronto and was hearing of luggage wait time between 2 to 3 hours. I almost didn't think that I heard that right until some folks shared that information with me personally. I only learned of this news after I got home last evening!
        Steve J. Garrod

Seattle, WA

The Ship Café

Comment

Yeah. Some flew for 45 min. and then waited over 2 hours for their bags. Not a good situation. I hope things get worked out or AS may be up shit creek without their paddle.
          THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
          Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
          George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Working...
          X