Base closing list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base closing list

Who would have thought that Elsworth Air Force Base would have made the list. One of the homes for the B-1b bombers. Closer the me Canon AFB is on the list. I will miss seeing the F-16's up here for some pattern work.
    My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Good news up here, both Drum and Hancock made it out ok. Good thing because construction has already started on 700+ new military homes out at Drum to deal with the influx of thousands of troops and their families. Good for me, means more development here at ART and more traffic at GTB, ART, and SYR.

Walter Reed was a shocker, wow...
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

No bases closing in Washington. In fact, because of reallinments, we are actually gaining troops and duties are places like Fort Lewis (Which is going to merge with McCord, if I read things right). 1,400 new troops for Bremerton. All is good with Washington. THis actually helps us.
      THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
      Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
      George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

The largest (by a majority of over 50%) employer in the state of South Dakota was on the list, got chopped.

My state, Colorado, is actually gaining alot of military presence, thereby changing our state slogan to "Colorado: Number 1 on the enemy's hit list!"

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
          The largest (by a majority of over 50%) employer in the state of South Dakota was on the list, got chopped.

My state, Colorado, is actually gaining alot of military presence, thereby changing our state slogan to "Colorado: Number 1 on the enemy's hit list!"

Weve been on it, in fact, I live in the #3 City in the US for a terrorist attack

1. New York
          2. Los Angeles
          3. Colorado Springs *Yes believe it or not we are number 3, due to NORAD, Ft. Carson (one of the larger Iraq deployments), Peterson AFB, and the Air Force Academy*

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
            Good news up here, both Drum and Hancock made it out ok. Good thing because construction has already started on 700+ new military homes out at Drum to deal with the influx of thousands of troops and their families. Good for me, means more development here at ART and more traffic at GTB, ART, and SYR.

Walter Reed was a shocker, wow...

Upu do realize Ft Drumm is one of the biggest Air Force bases in the country. The pentagon wants to cut the small ones and expand the big ones. Expect Ft Drumm to grow in a massive size. I would expected at least 5k-10k more people there by the end of this year.

Comment

Upu do realize Ft Drumm is one of the biggest Air Force bases in the country. The pentagon wants to cut the small ones and expand the big ones. Expect Ft Drumm to grow in a massive size. I would expected at least 5k-10k more people there by the end of this year.
              Agree with everything except for one minor point. Drum is an Army base, not Air Force. We get a lot of Air Force fighters training here, however, since we are the only live-fire range for aircraft in the Northeast.
              Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                ... thereby changing our state slogan to "Colorado: Number 1 on the enemy's hit list!"
                Clorado has been a target for decades. Just what do you think the Golf Balls at Buckley are? It is a one of a kind facility. That, NORAD and Space Command in the Springs make it a wonderful, yet difficult target for conventional weapons geographically.

The AFA, Ft. Carson, and Pete's airfield don't factor into the equation.

Comment

The county I live will be taking a major hit if Fort Gillem is closed. And if Delta's troubles continue, that'll be a double whammy for the county (Delta is Clayton County's #1 employer, Ft. Gillem is #2.). But early speculation prior to the BRAC list being released suggested that Georgia Army National Guard HQ could be moved to Ft. Gillem if the post were to be closed, as their current facility intown is cramped with no room for expansion. Plus there is a National Guard Armory right next to the Fort. Ft. McPherson would probably get turned into some sort of retail/residental development, as the East Point area has become one of the more popular parts of Atlanta for folks to move to (People are buying up the old houses cheaply [especially compared to similar sized homes in neighborhoods closer intown]). As for NAS Atlanta, I think most of that base would be transferred over for use by the Air Force units @ Dobbins and possibly see the transfer of a GA ANG unit up to the base. Myself, I could see this as a possiblity to look into turning that side of the base into a commerical facility either for scheduled service or possibly as some type of maintenance facility.

Comment

Lets not forget the final nail in a bases coffin. The building of new exchange/commesaries, new runways, and upgrading housing. Somehow NAS New Orleans has stayed off the closure list, go figure.
                    "I use mulit-billion dollar military satellite systems to find tupperware in the woods."

Comment

I've spent too much time reading through BRAC recommendations and justifications to not post some comments:

If it's an Army base and has combat troops assigned to it, it was safe: the troops coming back from overseas plus a buildup for Iraq had to go somewhere.

Apparently the Pentagon likes Fayetteville, NC more as an Army base than an AF base.

The Air Force must absolutely hate the cost of operations in Alaska. Eielson losses its active duty A-10 and F-16 squadrons and becomes just an ANG base, Elmendorf drops to 18 F-15Cs from 42. Its 21 F-15Es are leaving too.

Lots of ANG and AFR changes. Part of what's going on is that KC-135Es and some older F-16s and A-10s will be retired. The other big factor is the AF has decided it wants to make its surviving ANG/AFR flying units bigger. Instead of 8 C-130s or KC-135, units should have 12 planes. Most ANG/AFR fighter units would grow to 18 aircraft from 15.

MPL

Comment

otis ANGB got the axe... what a shame
                        ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

Here in Jersey, Fort Monmouth got axed...Fort Dix got spared though.

Approximately 3600 jobs were lost.
                          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

With the proposed closure of Elsworth in South Dakota could we be seeing the begining of the end for the B-1? Could it actually be possible that the B-52 might outlast the B-1? Canon Air Force Base in Clovis, New Mexico closure would really hurt that city. I have been there and without the base there is really no other industry. What can a small town do with an abandonded air base?
                            My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Comment

GFK is staying open but somebody else is getting all their tankers. The part about that which scares me is that they run our approach, without them I would be seriously scared to fly around here without approach. We have over 100 airplanes (130 I think is the number) and usually, at least 75% of them are in the air at one time. All of them coming back to the same place at one time or another. If they close approach because they dont have any airplanes then I really hope that the FAA is close behind in taking over. Even if they do I'm sure it'll take years.

Comment

Working...
                              X