Zone Boarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zone Boarding

Could someone just give a quick overview?
    How are the zones decided?
    Is it really more efficient than boarding back to front?

Thanks!

Well on AA you get the First/Premiem on first, then the Oneworld Premium and group 1 on. Then the rest of the cheapskates bundle on afterwards in their own respective group numbers. lol
    Last edited by BA747-436; 2005-05-24, 15:27.

Comment

I'm sure each company decided on their own rows. WestJet used to board rows back to front, but we've done research and there are other companies with the same sized aircraft as us (737-200/700) and if everyone boards all at once, 2-3 mins are saved. There are cases when there are lots of families with infants are boarding (most of the sit towards the back) so they all go on with Pre-boards, then we let the guests who require wheelchairs go on next with the pre-boards (so when they're getting seated, the families with babies are getting settled, then we continue with general boarding (all rows at once).

Comment

Or you could just do it the Southwest way with group A B and C (or 1 2 and 3 however they number it) and then let the people decide for themselves where they want to sit.

Comment

I've noticed that more and more airlines are ditching the boarding by rows system. Alaska now boards in only two groups: First and "those needing extra time", and everyone else.

Comment

As long as AA doesnt ditch the pre-boarding thing its all good. Its not about trying to get on with the crowds down the back lol

Comment

Song uses the "zone system"; based on your seat location. For example if you are in the front of the plane you are Zone 1 while the back is Zone 5 (I think). You board the plane in the order they call out the zone numbers.
              - The baby will be back -

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
                Or you could just do it the Southwest way with group A B and C (or 1 2 and 3 however they number it) and then let the people decide for themselves where they want to sit.
                Not quite. The group (A, B, or C) in which a passenger is in is decided by how early he/she gets to the airport to check in.

These days, a lot of airlines use zone boarding. Delta uses it also.

Foxtrot

Comment

NW still uses rows, which to me is easier then "zone 4" etc.

Comment

So the zone (on airlines that assign seats) is by seat location?

I flew this past weekend on US Airways and I was in Zone 4 on the first two flights (on one I was in row 5 and the other in row 17).
                    On the way back I was in Zone 6 (row 6 and then row .
                    Hmm....

Originally posted by chrisburns
                    NW still uses rows, which to me is easier then "zone 4" etc.
                    Is it easier or is it better because NW does it?
                    Do you realize they aren't perfect?
                    Haha...im just playing

Comment

Lets see, unless you really look at your boarding card sometimes zones are in small print, or not written, forcing you too look at the screen to see what rows fall under zone 5 etc. So like rows 19 and up are zone 5, so isnt it easier just to say rows 19 and up, i think it would be a bit easier for passengers

Comment

People aren't the smartest once they walk through the airport doors. Even when we DID board by rows, all it's doing is confusing people. If we were boarding rows 19-24 for example, there would be people in rows way ahead of those trying to get on board. People with boarding passes for other airlines even try to get on our flights. It makes sense to have Pre-boarding & General boarding.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                          Lets see, unless you really look at your boarding card sometimes zones are in small print, or not written, forcing you too look at the screen to see what rows fall under zone 5 etc. So like rows 19 and up are zone 5, so isnt it easier just to say rows 19 and up, i think it would be a bit easier for passengers
                          eh, all the airlinens that I've flown that do zone numbers have it printed really freakin huge on the boarding pass. Much bigger than the row number.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                            eh, all the airlinens that I've flown that do zone numbers have it printed really freakin huge on the boarding pass. Much bigger than the row number.
                            Ya on AA's boarding passes the group number (they board by groups on AA) are freakishly huge.

Alex
                            Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

I know KLM uses/used colour codes to board their aircraft...
                              Will F.
                              Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X