Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Canadian Air Show Crash...

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ne-050710.html

Two biplanes that were simulating a First World War dogfight at an air show in Saskatchewan collided in mid-air, killing both pilots instantly.

Thousands of people were watching as three planes simulated the battle late Sunday afternoon at the Saskatchewan Centennial 2005 Air Show in Moose Jaw.

Witnesses said one plane came up from beneath another and their wings clipped.

The planes burst into flames and plunged to the ground.

The pilots were members of the Arkansas-based Masters of Disaster civilian aerobatics team.

The third plane landed safely and no spectators were injured.

Organizers cancelled the air show immediately.

Names not released in the media, however I have learned that it was Jimmy Franklin and Bobby Younkin.

This is their website: http://www.xteamairshows.com/#

These guys are the ones that took the learjet and made it into a stuntplane.

May they rest in peace.

poor guys, R.I.P

Comment

The beautiful stunt learjet 23 .

new source: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-a94cae23e638&

lost 2 great pilots today

Comment

I've seem them many times and I talked to some people from thier team at a small airshow in 2002. Very nice people. R.I.P.

Comment

Witnesses said one plane came up from beneath another and their wings clipped.
          thats sad. what could be the problem,lost communication ??

RIP .
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
            .. what would be the problem,lost communication ??
            lost separation.

Comment

I saw that learjet at the moffet airshow and it was in imo the best act aside from the thunderbirds. Thats horrible! They were great pilots, RIP
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Until the last second they assumed their positions as professional risktakers, my simpathy. RIP.
                Alain
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Very sad to hear, Masters of Disaster is probably the most spectacular flight stunt performance out there. It's also especially hard for Franklin's son Kyle, who was commentating the performance at the time the accident happened . RIP to the dead pilots, and I hope Kyle gets over this experience.

Comment

I had the chance to see these guys perform in Winnipeg last year...an amazing show, with some amazing pilots. RIP guys.

Comment

Video can be found there .

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
                        thats sad. what could be the problem,lost communication ??

RIP .
                        Apparently these guys fly full out, non-rehearsed, non-scripted dogfights.......I don't know how much they communicate during the actual show...

Too bad...RIP
                        Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                        EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                        EF-S 18-55mm
                        EF 28-135mm IS USM
                        EF 70-200mm f4L
                        EF 100-400L IS
                        1.4X II Teleconverter
                        Canon 420EX Speedlite
                        Canon 430EX Speedlite
                        Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
                          Apparently these guys fly full out, non-rehearsed, non-scripted dogfights.......I don't know how much they communicate during the actual show...

Too bad...RIP
                          I have seen this show and it was awsome. There is no way that this was non-rehearsed and non scripted. These guys were professionals, not some a couple of hot dog pilots out there flying full out. To make these charges is an insult to two very talented people.

Just accept the fact the we lost some very talented pilots to a tragic accident. Stop trying to second guess the performers.

RIP
                          My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Comment

it was just good to know how this could happen, i have seen the 2 demo migs that also clipped the others wing off, and that was due to lost visual contact and communication, do you guys get me ???
                            Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by atcvector
                              I have seen this show and it was awsome. There is no way that this was non-rehearsed and non scripted. These guys were professionals, not some a couple of hot dog pilots out there flying full out. To make these charges is an insult to two very talented people.

Just accept the fact the we lost some very talented pilots to a tragic accident. Stop trying to second guess the performers.

RIP
                              I was just relaying part of a quote I read by Bobby Younkin (RIP) about their performances in response to a query in a previous post about a possible loss of communication. I may have worded it a little liberally and for that I am sorry if I offended anyone. The quote states that although most of the show is planned, a large amount is improvisation. At no time did I say they were "hot dogging".....and at no time did I insult their performance or talents, or make any inflammatory or degrading "charges" nor was I trying to "second guess" their decisions in the air. If anything, flying a partially improvised performance only goes to show even more so that they were exceptional aviators.

When asked what the three pilots were doing during the “Masters of Disasters” performance, Younkin said, “We don’t want to mess it up with over-briefing, a bunch of choreography or precision. We just go at each other from all angles. We have worked together enough to know what to expect from each other during the performance. It isn’t as difficult as it seems. Much of it is planned, but we have a certain format that we follow. One can’t choreograph every move. There is a large element of improvisation during our performance, to be honest.”

Courtesy of Fly-Low Publications

Lets put this issue to rest......this post should be for rememberance...not conflict.
                              Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                              EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                              EF-S 18-55mm
                              EF 28-135mm IS USM
                              EF 70-200mm f4L
                              EF 100-400L IS
                              1.4X II Teleconverter
                              Canon 420EX Speedlite
                              Canon 430EX Speedlite
                              Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment