Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Canada A320 engine disintegrated on take off in Ottawa

From Toronto Star:

(Full article at http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes)

The following is a summary:

An Air Canada Airbus A320 bound for Vancouver last night had its right engine blew up when the aircraft was accelerating on the runway. The pilot aborted the take off and left skid marks about 100 metres long on the runway. A passenger said the captain told him later that the runway was spewed with engine parts after something disintegrated in the right engine. The plane was almost at take off speed and is halfway on the runway when the engine lost power.

The passenger said the aircraft seemed to lose speed and the pilot immediately deployed the flaps and started braking.

"The flaps went straight up and we roared to a stop," he said. "The pilot came on the intercom and apologized and announced they had lost an engine on takeoff.

The flight AC139 was from Halifax to Vancouver via Ottawa.
    Next:
    None Planned

Wow that's certainly very rare with AC, given their top notch maintenance. Glad everything is ok.
    i wonder if FOD is involved here?

Comment

Engines unfortunately fail. The engine is a right-off.

Comment

First time it's happened to an AC A32X series...I'm still pretty damn trusting of 'em

Glad to hear that everyone's OK.

Comment

You can't beat a CFM56 for reliability.

AC uses the 5A1, 5A5 and 5B6 varieties.

Comment

"The flaps went straight up and we roared to a stop,"

Well probably meant spoilers but still props for at least knowing an aviation term haha.

Alex
            Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

I'm sure this made the front page on the Star right next to the global news!

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL

"The flaps went straight up and we roared to a stop,"

Well probably meant spoilers but still props for at least knowing an aviation term haha.

Alex
                Thats what i was thinking...that was sure a wtf for a second.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Ouch... I'm happy no one was hurt- and to hear that this doesn't happen often- I'm sure quite a few passengers were freaked out by that stop

Originally posted by Cameron
                  He will be here soon...

...walks in room, turns on computer, loads up IE, navigates to JP.net....reads some posts, comes across this one...

"Hahahaha, Air Canada sucks, WESTJET all the way!!!!hhaahha, tv's, leather seats...hahahaah, eat sh*t Air Canada...!!"

hehehe
                  ... how intelligent. The same thing could happen to WestJet, it's not a matter of who has TVs or leatherseats and who doesn't, that's just plain stupid. Also, it's not a discussion about who likes air canada and who don't, it's a discussion about an incident, and how leather seats and tvs fit into this is beyond me.

WestJet is fine, and so is Air Canada.

Comment

Pax reactions was described as "excellent'. The Capt briefed the pax and explained what had happened (with the info he had). Another acft was moved into YOW and the pax left a couple of hours later.

Comment

These things happen... just another statistic for the books, that's about it.

First time it's happened to an AC A32X series...I'm still pretty damn trusting of 'em
                      Me too... I've always been fond of AC's 32x family... that won't change!
                      My Jetphotos.net Images

Comment

Originally posted by jannichan
                        Ouch... I'm happy no one was hurt- and to hear that this doesn't happen often- I'm sure quite a few passengers were freaked out by that stop

... how intelligent. The same thing could happen to WestJet, it's not a matter of who has TVs or leatherseats and who doesn't, that's just plain stupid. Also, it's not a discussion about who likes air canada and who don't, it's a discussion about an incident, and how leather seats and tvs fit into this is beyond me.

WestJet is fine, and so is Air Canada.
                        I was refering to some members on this forum who don't like air canada, and will find any excuse to bash it....and for the record I work for AC Jazz....
                        My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
                          I was refering to some members on this forum who don't like air canada, and will find any excuse to bash it....and for the record I work for AC Jazz....
                          I knew you weren't serious, hehe...
                          ...but it looks like he still hasn't made his appearance yet

Comment

Wonder if that sh*t disturber that lives in Nepean off the end of runway 32 has been quoted (again) about how "dangerous" Ottawa International is, especially the runway that takes off over his neighbourhood! I find his complaints and histeria/paranoia hilarious given he moved there only about 20 years ago, long after the airport opened.

Comment

All I can say is WOW
                              Christos Sikoutris
                              -----
                              UPCOMING FLIGHT(S):
                              FLIGHT DATE SEGMENT DPTR ARVL EQP ELPD MILES
                              #KLM0644 02JUN JFK-AMS 22H50 12H10 B772 7h20 3643
                              #KLC1407 03JUN AMS-MRS 14H50 16H50 F70 2h00 613
                              -----
                              Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
                              X