A/C orders than never happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C orders than never happened

i was thumbing through an old book i bought new in 1987 and it listed some airline orders that never happened. just thought i'd share.

america west - 25x A300-600R and 15x 767-300ER

northwest - 20x A340

pan am - 16x A320

www.airplanegeek.com

I'm looking for anything and everything Air 21 related

Northwest- A350 Sorry just had to through that in.

Comment

Air Canada - 777/787 (although everyone hopes they can convince the pilots to sign the contract and eventually reinstate the order)
      - The baby will be back -

Comment

Here's one that was started but never finished: US Airways ordered hundreds of Airbus planes to completely overhaul its fleet. Quite a few were never delivered due to the airline's financial problems. Several carriers ordered the Concorde, never took delivery. The most notable example was Pan Am (I think, may have that confused with another) which ordered several Concordes.

Comment

Every single order for the Boeing 2707ST
          Delta - 60 733s
          Continental - 12(?) A340s

Comment

Braniff's leased concorde
            Any 747-400X orders
            -Kevin

Comment

My dad showed me something from the 80s that showed Uniteds fleet. They said they had both the Concord and the Boeing SST on order. Obvously never happened.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                My dad showed me something from the 80s that showed Uniteds fleet. They said they had both the Concord and the Boeing SST on order. Obvously never happened.
                Many of the major airlines placed concorde orders at some point, including the already mentioned Pan Am, United, as well as Eastern, TWA, Air Canada, Swissair, Qantas, American, Braniff, Air India, JAL, Lufthansa, SABENA, Continental, MEA

Comment

TWA- A320 and A330

Comment

Air Europe was the launch customer of a RR-powered MD11. The plane was shelved after Air Europe went bankrupt.

Garuda: 3 x 777-200ER

All Nippon Airways (ANA) was a launch customer of A340.

Kenya Airways: 767-400ER (project cancelled by Boeing and order was changed to mix of 767-300ER and 777-200ER)

Iraqi Airways: 5 x A310-300

Dragonair: 2 x MD11 (supposed to be RR-powered, order cancelled because MD cancelled the project after bankruptcy of launch customer Air Europe, Dragonair went on to order A330-300 instead)

Singapore Airlines: MD11 (SQ cancelled the order after first few MD11s were delivered to other customers with serious deficiencies and not meeting initial performance promises made by MD)
                    Next:
                    None Planned

Comment

A few more from the 60s
                      BOAC DC.8-63s, turned down by UK gvnmnt when asked the approval to proceed ...
                      BEA 727-200s, same here
                      MEA DC.8-62s x 3,
                      Olympic Airways DC.8s,
                      SAS 707s and 727s,
                      TWA Caravelles
                      Cubana 707-139s x 2 , actually built but not delivered and trsfd to Western
                      Ghana Airways 707-420s x 2
                      Proly more to come
                      Alain
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Wardair Canada had ordered a fleet of F100s to serve alongside its A310-300s. All this went by the wayside when Canadi>n bought them out, promising that Wardair would continue to operate as a stand alone airline. Many of the 310s were delivered and parked before being sold...five went to the Canadian Forces as the CC150 Polaris when the feds bailed out CP from its first big financial crisis in the early 90s.

Also the five 707-347C s bought by Western but sold and delivered to the CF as CC137s.

Didn't PanAm order early Comets in the early 1950s before they all were grounded due to metal fatigue?

AA 5 X CV990s (they did get 20)

Not civilian but military---Creepy Jean Chretien, PM of Canada in 1993 cancelled an order for 50 EH101s at a cost of many hundreds of thousand C$, then watched DND reorder 12 as "Comorants' for S&R. 12 years later our naval aviaition is still making do with 1963 model Sea Kings which will be replaced by a far inferior chopper than the EH101 sometime after 2008. What an idiot!

Comment

Pan Am ordered some Comet 3s, never built and delivered.
                          CSA was close to order VC10s but finally went for IL62s for a host of reasons ...
                          LOT was also close to order 6 727-200s in 1975 ...
                          As for military, the RAF once ordered a sizeable number of F111s.
                          Alain
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Back in the days TWA actually ordered some Caravelles,but Boeing managed to convince them to drop the Caravelle order in favor of 727's in return for a more favorable financing arrangement on their 707's.

Edit: Turns out uy707 beat me to it!

Comment

Canadian Airlines: 2 comets, one sold to a african airline and later blew it self up
                              Canadian Airlines: 4 707's I belive
                              Canadian Airlines: 10 CV-240s to replace the DC-3 routes, only 5 came from CO, and then later returned.
                              Canadian Airlines: 10 733's only 3 deliverd then the three were sold to Shannon
                              Canadian Airlines: All 727 orders were canceld after deemed unsutable for there routes
                              -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X