Strange coincidence with West Caribbean crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange coincidence with West Caribbean crash

The crash of West Caribbean Flight 702 came 18 years after the crash of Flight 255, another MD-82. On August 16, 1987 Northwest Airlines Flight 255 crash into a Detroit higway after taking off from DTW bound for PHX and SNA. Both pilots, 4 Flight Attendants, 148 passengers, & 2 motorists died. The sole surivor was a 4yr old girl.

There was also the Air France accident on August 2. It came 20yrs to the day of the crash of Delta Flight 191. Flight 191 was also landing in a thunderstorm at DFW. It crashed on landing killing 3 pilots, 5 Flight Attendants, 129 passengers, & 1 motorist. Only 3 Flight Attendants & 22 passengers survied the crash.

I guess this is just a coincidence, but its still very strange. Crashes on the anniversarys of 2 of the worst airplane crashes in the 80's.
    Meridian 777

your scaring me!!!!!

There has been a number of B 737 crashes this year. Not happy with that, as i might be flying an old JAT B733 DXB-KWI-BEG!!! most likely to have an all white, dirty fuelsalage, worn and torn cabin, and can u imagine other facilities.

There has to be more newer aircraft out there i reckon. not enough to replace on whats out there at the moment.

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Originally posted by aca_srbija
      your scaring me!!!!!

There has been a number of B 737 crashes this year. Not happy with that, as i might be flying an old JAT B733 DXB-KWI-BEG!!! most likely to have an all white, dirty fuelsalage, worn and torn cabin, and can u imagine other facilities.

There has to be more newer aircraft out there i reckon. not enough to replace on whats out there at the moment.
      Which 737 has crashed this year besides the Helios one?

Keep in mind that the 737 is the most popular jet airliner that exists today (maybe with exception to the RJs?). Also, the 737s are typically operating the shorter flights, which put more wear and tear on the aircraft.

That's sort of like saying that Fords are unsafe because they crash more than Ferarris. Well, they do, but you have to look at why they crash and also the percentage of vehicles that crashed when compared to the whole amount that has been produced of the certain vehicle.
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

I'm scared.
        I've noticed 4 plane crashes/accidents in the news

United 744 Landing Gear collapased while engineer were servicing it!
        WCA Flight crashed
        Air France A343 Crashed
        And a millitary aircraft crashed.

This is freaky!!!!!

Comment

well, in Feb. this year there was a B732 that crashed in a mountain in Afghanistan. It carried 104 people.

Airline is Kam Air, and was doing domestic opps from Herat to Kabul. The aircraft had lost communication during a snowstorm. They were apparently rejected by the U.S airbase in Bagram to land the aircraft there.

source:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kam_Air_Flight_904

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Working in the airline industry I don't dwell on accidents or incidents. Do you gentlemen (and ladies) think that people in other industries worry all day that an accident may happen and if it did try to relate it to an accident in other years or other places?

If something happens today at my airline I don't try to link it to something in the past.

Comment

Talk 'bout it. finally we see someone who is realistic.

Yeah maybe there has been accidents in the past but how can this link up to those just recent?

The accidents only happen due to human error, think 'bout it.

A mother of the Hellios Airways pilot that flew the doomed aircraft said (according to Wikipedia / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_...sh_August_2005) that her son repeatedly complained about the aircraft being cold. If Hellios at least grounded the aircraft in the first place then maybe the crash could have been prevented.

An example where the fleet of a particular aircraft is grounded is JAT's ATR 72's. There had been airconditioning problems on 1 out of 4 ATR72's, so JAT had grounded the whole ATR72 fleet untill the problem was fixed. Now thats safety. At the moment, all 4 are still flying and in good condition.

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Also, the 737s are typically operating the shorter flights, which put more wear and tear on the aircraft.
                Like Herpa just said, and to add something to it, the more 737's there is, the more likely it will crash a few more times then the others, depends on the maintainance on particular aircrafts... But then again, We also have 747's but not lately have we heard anything but an incident...
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy B
                  I'm scared.
                  I've noticed 4 plane crashes/accidents in the news

United 744 Landing Gear collapased while engineer were servicing it!
                  WCA Flight crashed
                  Air France A343 Crashed
                  And a millitary aircraft crashed.

This is freaky!!!!!
                  Ya I actually witnessed the United 744 at SFO. That was pretty cool, it just suddenly went nose up. I saw it on my way to school, what a way to start off the school year!
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

u see what i mean. If the airlines spent more time looking after the aircraft maybe less accidents will happen. There could be a few reasons on why the UA B744 had its landing gears collapse. maybe they had a bit of wear n tear, maybe a bit old, maybe loose screws etc... these are all things that we could of prevented.

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Originally posted by aca_srbija
                      u see what i mean. If the airlines spent more time looking after the aircraft maybe less accidents will happen. There could be a few reasons on why the UA B744 had its landing gears collapse. maybe they had a bit of wear n tear, maybe a bit old, maybe loose screws etc... these are all things that we could of prevented.
                      Actually, the cause was the hydrolics. The flight was supposed to go SFO-NRT but was canceled do to hydrolic problems, thats why the aircraft was in maintiance. The hydrolics failed, and the main gear gave out.
                      sigpic
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

If you think there's only been 4 airplane crashes this year and your worried bout that, please dont check the NTSB website for your own sanity.
                        Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Working...
                        X