X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serb who shot down the U.S. stealth plane

Associated Press Writer

October 26, 2005, 8:58 AM EDT

SKORENOVAC, Serbia-Montenegro -- Col. Zoltan Dani was behind one of the most spectacular losses ever suffered by the U.S. Air Force: the 1999 shooting down of an F-117A stealth fighter.

Now, for the first time since that night six years ago, the former Serbian commander of an anti-aircraft missile battery has consented to speak publicly to Western media about the circumstances surrounding the unprecedented downing of a U.S. stealth plane

The hit on the radar-evading plane on March 27, 1999, during the 78-day NATO campaign over Serbia, triggered doubts not only about the F-117s, but also about the entire concept of stealth technology on which the U.S. Air Force has based its newest generation of warplanes.

Military analysts debated how the planes would fare in a war against a militarily sophisticated opponent if an obsolescent air defense such as Serbia's could manage to track and destroy them.

In an interview this week with The Associated Press, Dani said the F-117 was detected and shot down during a moonless night -- just three days into the war -- by a Soviet-made SA-3 Goa surface-to-air missile.

"We used a little innovation to update our 1960s-vintage SAMs to detect the Nighthawk," Dani said. He declined to discuss specifics, saying the exact nature of the modification to the warhead's guidance system remains a military secret.

It involved "electromagnetic waves," was all that Dani -- who now owns a small bakery in this sleepy village just north of Belgrade -- would divulge.

The F-117 was developed in great secrecy in the 1970s. It entered service in 1983 but was not revealed officially until 1988. It saw its first combat in the 1989 invasion of Panama and was a star of the 1991 Gulf War.

"Long before the 1999 war, I took keen interest in the stealth fighter and on how it could be detected," said Dani, who has been hailed in Serbia as a war hero. "And I concluded that there are no invisible aircraft, but only less visible."

The F-117 was one of only two allied aircraft shot down in the war. The other was an F-16 fighter, which the U.S. Air Force said was also hit by an SA-3. Both pilots bailed out and were rescued by NATO helicopters.

Dani said his anti-aircraft missile regiment, tasked with the anti-aircraft defense of the Serbian capital, Belgrade, downed the F-16.

Several other NATO warplanes were damaged by missile hits but managed to struggle back to bases in neighboring Bosnia, Macedonia or Croatia. At least one is said to have ditched into the Adriatic Sea as it attempted to regain its base in Italy.

Despite NATO's near-total air supremacy, the alliance never succeeded in knocking out Dani's batteries.

The Serb SAMs remained a potent threat throughout the conflict, forcing attacking warplanes to altitudes above 15,000 feet, where they were safe from surface-to-air missiles but far less effective in a ground attack role.

NATO won the war in June 1999, after President Slobodan Milosevic decided to withdraw his largely intact army from Kosovo, following the destruction of numerous government buildings, bridges and other infrastructure targets throughout Serbia.

"The Americans entered the war a bit overconfident," Dani said. "They thought they could crush us without real resistance."

"At times, they acted like amateurs," Dani said, listing some ways the Serbs managed to breach NATO communications security, including eavesdropping on pilots' conversations with AWACS surveillance planes.

"I personally listened to their pilots' conversations, learning about their routes and bombing plans," Dani said.

Dani said that his unit has had annual reunions on every March 27 since 1999 when a cake in the shape of the F-117 is served.

Dear Col. Dani

You still lost the war. Enjoy your cake.
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Yank philosophy shortcomings

unfortunately, the Americans have not learnt the most crucial lesson of Vietnam - no matter how hi-tech you go, your low-tech enemy can still outsmart you. They developed the Wild Weasels to counter SAMs, but they could do little for their losses to small arms fire..

Going low-tech means you have more weapons, which are easier to maintain - and therefore more reliable.

Then it all depends on how determined your enemy is.

Unfortunately, the USA believes that just by having the most sophisticated stuff in the world, they can win any war...

Comment

Nice to see that the anit-Americans are out in force again. Typical.

If they figured it out so well, why did they only get 1?
        THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
        Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
        George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Anti American Force??? Yes Maybe Him but the majority of Serbs wanted nothing to do with the war......just a small bunch of idiots thinking they can go ethnic cleanse people made the rest suffer....
          Fly From BUF: N/S To ALB,ATL,BDL,BOS,BWI,CLE,CLT,CVG,DCA,DTW,
          DFW,EWR,HPN,IAD,JFK,LAS,LGA,MDW
          MCO,MSP,ORD,PHX,PHL,PIT,TPA,

Comment

Originally posted by BUFJET
            Anti American Force??? Yes Maybe Him but the majority of Serbs wanted nothing to do with the war......just a small bunch of idiots thinking they can go ethnic cleanse people made the rest suffer....
            who could agree with Milosevic and his government?

Well as said before in the mass demonstrations world wide about the bombing of Serbia......
            Sorry...We didn't know it was invissible.

And as the Serbian media had to say for the pilot who was shot down... Welcome to Budjanovac, Serbia

why does the US mix their $0.02 worth into everything? It was not their decision to call for any bombing in Serbia, and all the innocent lives lost when they done their bombings. The children....the trauma they will suffer from the attacks especially those who were in the middle of it.

Now the US is done with Serbia, now it's Afghanistan and Iraq. The war in Iraq is a scam as heard in the news.

As for the F117. i think they might be retired .

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Originally posted by aca_srbija
              why does the US mix their $0.02 worth into everything? .
              Because we can.

Now the US is done with Serbia, now it's Afghanistan and Iraq. The war in Iraq is a scam as heard in the news..
              Heard in the news? I suppose you believe everything you see on CNN too? Wonderful.....

As for the F117. i think they might be retired .
              Don't think too hard, you may hurt yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime100
                Because we can.

That is exactly the type of comment that fuels anti-American sentiment. You are not doing justice to other Americans, especially those with more civilised attitudes, and less (wannabe) arrogant than yourself.

But I do get a kick out of the fact that some, (often) weak minded individuals, who have nothing else to go on in life (i.e, low self esteem), try to ride the coat tails of their country's military, in hopes of empowering themselves. That is obviously pretty shallow. Now, pat yourself on the shoulder because you can take comfort in knowing that your daddy is stronger than my daddy.

Comment

Because we can.
                  why did i expect an American to post something stupid like this. It's like most(most, not all) Americans (like you) think they are better than anyone else. What does the U.S know about situations about other countries? how do they know how funds should be spent...no need for $0.02 given from the U.S. not starting Anti-U.S post here but don't post comments like that. not needed.

AC_A340-500,
                  I agree with you in those comments.

Would like to see some new military aircraft out there. Can't wait to see what is installed for the future of millitary aircraft.

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Wait a second, why are you blaming the US alone on this? Dozens of countries, including many European countries, participated in the bombing of Serbia. You can't just blame us.

And as for the F-117-

The guy just got lucky. Plain and simple. Somewhat similar to firing a rifle shot aimlessley in the woods and ending up hitting a prize buck.
                    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

[QUOTE=AC_A340-500]That is exactly the type of comment that fuels anti-American sentiment. [/quote}

Exactly. Good point. Should we care?

Originally posted by AC_A340-500
                      You are not doing justice to other Americans, especially those with more civilised attitudes, and less (wannabe) arrogant than yourself.
                      And your doing justice to your country by bringing up this silly thread HOW?

But I do get a kick out of the fact that some, (often) weak minded individuals, who have nothing else to go on in life (i.e, low self esteem), try to ride the coat tails of their country's military, in hopes of empowering themselves. That is obviously pretty shallow. Now, pat yourself on the shoulder because you can take comfort in knowing that your daddy is stronger than my daddy.
                      Yea, I guess you'd have to have a military before you can ride any coat tails eh? Maybe some day.

And send that "I wanna be a psychologist" DVD back, because your wrong on all accounts. But nice try any way.

Comment

[QUOTE=Showtime100]
                        That is exactly the type of comment that fuels anti-American sentiment. [/quote}

Exactly. Good point. Should we care?

And your doing justice to your country by bringing up this silly thread HOW?

Yea, I guess you'd have to have a military before you can ride any coat tails eh? Maybe some day.

And send that "I wanna be a psychologist" DVD back, because your wrong on all accounts. But nice try any way.

Judging by your excessive reliance on emoticons, due to your inability to articulate your emotions effectively, I'd say I succeeded in giving you something to think about in my last post.

Comment

[QUOTE=AC_A340-500]
                          Judging by your excessive reliance on emoticons, due to your inability to articulate your emotions effectively, I'd say I succeeded in giving you something to think about in my last post.
                          Oh, it wasn't your last post that suceeded in making me think what I do about you. Far from it actually. (notice only one "emoticon"?)

-Duke

Comment

why did i expect an American to post something stupid like this. It's like most(most, not all) Americans (like you) think they are better than anyone else.
                            I dont think that's fair to say most because that is definately not the case. Are there a lot of idiots here? Yes, but that's the case with every country. It only seems like there are so many because as I like to put it (thanks to metalica) "the empty can rattles the most". Those who talk the most, have the least to say.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                              "the empty can rattles the most". Those who talk the most, have the least to say.
                              screaming_emu

rattle, rattle

Comment

Working...
                              X