Engine trouble delays first Asian flight for Airbus 380 jumbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine trouble delays first Asian flight for Airbus 380 jumbo

Engine problems have delayed the arrival in Singapore of the Airbus A380, the world's largest passenger aircraft, from next Tuesday to at least Friday, the aircraft manufacturer said.

"At the request of Rolls-Royce, as a precautionary measure, two Trent 900 engines are being replaced on A380 number one," Airbus said in a statement.

Singapore will still be the first stop during the massive double-decker jet's first test flight out of Europe. Other stops include Australia and Malaysia.

Instead of making Malaysia the second stop, the aircraft will first fly to Australia to participate in Qantas' 85th birthday celebrations.

Two A380s are currently being tested. The massive new aircraft can carry up to 555 passengers.

Singapore Airlines (SIA) is set to be the first carrier to put the A380 into operation. It has ordered 10 planes, with an option to purchase an additional 15.

The first few planes will arrive in Singapore in November 2006, eight months behind schedule, and will initially be put to use on SIA's London to Sydney route.

"Airbus and Rolls-Royce have made us aware of the technical issues that will lead to the visit of the A380 being deferred by a few days," SIA spokesman Stephen Fornshaw told The Straits Times.

"Knowing that the aircraft is in its testing phase, the deferral is for prudent reasons," he added.

eh, new engines usually have some bugs that need to be worked out when they first come out.

Comment

It's MEL arrival is coming closer and closer.....I can not wait to see it in person. wow.....

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Originally posted by aca_srbija
        I can not wait to see it in person. wow.....
        Nor can I.
        I just hope that on friday, it lands at the runway where I can see it from the viewing gallery.

Comment

Ahaaa,.... better be late and got the engine fixed than bad PR later on the first tour.
          http://www.academieoffarside.net

Comment

Working...
          X